Art: Legolas draws?

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Legolas draws?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Legolas draws?

Starting one of these things. I thought it was ok, but... yeah

[01]
    Name:  Max Challie 01.JPG
Views: 484
Size:  82.8 KB

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,675 Times in 5,021 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Not bad. Even taking elven features into account, though, i think you need a bit more cranium in back.

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

Crash Course for Artists, Illustrators, and Cartoonists, NYC, the 2013 Edition!

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Elwell For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks so much for taking the time, Elwell! By more cranium in back, do you mean that it looks flat? The drawing seems to be both slanted and facing front, and I don't know how to correct it. I know adding darker tones creates a sense of depth. Did I put the darker tones in the wrong place?

Last edited by Max Challie; February 5th, 2009 at 09:49 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 16,675 Times in 5,021 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    More cranium in back = you need more hair (and skull underneath it) above and behind the ear on the left.
    But don't spend too much on fiddling with this one... tomorrow is another day. Hup two three...!

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

Crash Course for Artists, Illustrators, and Cartoonists, NYC, the 2013 Edition!

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Elwell For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    get rid off the question mark in your name and add a "daily" on to the end

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

[02]

Elwell - thanks for explaining that! And just for dropping by again, I appreciate it.

paperX - hahaha! maybe I will..

Today I studied from a photo I took, more perspective, smaller drawing, less time spent.
    Name:  Max Challie02.JPG
Views: 388
Size:  67.6 KB

Last edited by Max Challie; February 6th, 2009 at 04:02 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You have a good start off here, Your pretty good with your tonal range, just don't be afraid to push the blacks more if need be.

The first SP is quite good, but as Elwell said, the cranium was a little lacking, Don't be afraid to put general construction lines down, You can always erase them later

The angle on the second piece is one that is quite hard to do, but You pulled it off relativly well, but again, Construction lines would help And try not to work too much from photo's, as they make the image you are using look flat, and you don't really want to become dependant on them. Try doing a few studies from a mirror

Keep drawing, your doing well

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Karein For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

[03] - [04]

Okay. Haven't updated in days, and I'm several SP's behind schedule
    These ones were rushed, and it shows. Still can't help but laugh at both of them

Karein - Thank you for your critiques. I know adding darker tones creates depth. Do you think I put them in the wrong places on the first one, creating that sense of two poses? Because it looks like I was both facing-forward, and off to the right.

I was instructed to place a horizontal or vertical line straight though the figure, and align everything to that line. Is one line enough?

I drew from a photo that time because I wanted to draw a foreshortened self-portrait. I'll stick mostly to the mirror, using photos only when I want to draw a pose that I can't draw from life. I am actually doing all of these as practise for when I go back to school in a week. The first two weeks back will be painting a self-portrait, and we'll be doing it using mirrors.

It is the kind of self-portrait that's supposed to reflect an artist's vision of him/herself, rather than a representational life painting. So I should start thinking about what I'll do with that self-portrait.

Name:  Max_Challie03.JPG
Views: 350
Size:  99.5 KBName:  Max_Challie04.JPG
Views: 349
Size:  75.9 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    OMG spam. -___- Good going Max! Watch out for the proportions, make sure they look right before you start rendering.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to shamandalie For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hello again, Keep going with your self portrait's. The more you do, the better you will become

To answer your question, The shading is generally good with your first piece, the reason your piece looks like it is being veiwed from two angles, is because of the basic shape of your eyes, and mouth.

The shape you have both eyes, even though you are looking in from an angle, the exact same almond shape. On an angle, the eye that is further back, will look like it has a strait, flat corner, and not have the tip that the almond shape eyes you drew have. Sit in frount of a mirror for a few minutes and just study how your features change as you move your head

It's the same with your mouth, You have the front on general shape down, but the right side should actually be shorter in length that the left, as the right side is the side that is disappearing on an angle The shading in that work is pretty good, just don't be afraid to push your values if you need too

When I first construct a self portrait, I usually set the circle for the skull, the jaw line, eyeline and the vertical mid line I like to have everything as acturate as possible, and the best way to do that is prepare yourself before hand. I find everything becomes skewed if you don't pre-plan If you want any more input, let me know, I'll be sure to stop by regularly.

I hope what I have said is easy enough for you to understand, and I hope I answered your question

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Karein For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    great to see this thread up man , practice practice practice , .....to answer your q, horizontal or vertical line through the figure? i guess if its for studying the nude, from what i learnt - i get instructed to feel for the wholeness of the figure and capture the gesture of the figure with a few lines ( i guess so i dont draw outside of what i put down), how the weight is distributed, i guess why they would want you to place those lines would be so you can measure up the figure so you can relate back to those lines to check whether its in proportion? ...... my crit would be to i think try and observe more and draw less, watch the proportions and really feel the gesture - rhythm and feel of what your head is doing.... well keep it up man

18. The Following User Says Thank You to polipol For This Useful Post:

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.