Environment vs Character

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Environment vs Character

When viewing open artist positions there are multiple titles - illustration artist, concept artist, environment artist, character artist, creature artist, 3D artist, 2D artist - and so on.

For an artist who specializes in only one of those catagories how important is it to incorporate multiple facets of art into one image?

Some artists know their strengths and their weaknesses but in order to provide an all-inclusive portfolio they feel necessary to incorporate different areas of art concentration. Now this may or may not hinder the outcome of a painting ... but

So my question is this ... how important is it to have an "environment" or a "background" when painting characters or even creatures? Is the finished character or creature enough for a completed painting? Remember that it is the potential employer that is viewing the painting!!

Thanks,
    R.

"Creativity emerges only when the imagination is given the freedom it deserves."
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Umm I'm not sure if I understood your question correctly, but in a production environment most commonly you will only do a character/creature design on a plane background as a)they only want to see the design of the character b) there is no point for you to waste time painting a background as the environment guy will be doing the designs of those. Full illustrations that use all those things are usually only done for promotional/or key/mood purposes.

But then again it depends on where, what and for who you work

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks Rayk ... I appreciate your comments but maybe I should be more clear.

If a potential employer is going to take the time to view a portfolio, should the images in that portfolio have both a character/creature and an environment/background. ... Or .... will the potential employer be content with viewing paintings that concentrate on the character/creature and forego any kind of environment/background?

Hope that helps!

"Creativity emerges only when the imagination is given the freedom it deserves."

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Look at concept art. Look at a lot of character and creature designs. You'll find some in Finally Finished.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    If you're good at both character & environment design then go for it, but if your environments are not as good as your character qualities, then I would leave it out, have a blank background instead as a bad background may spoil a good character image & vice versa. If you're really persistant in adding other elements then I would have a seperate section in portfolio for other stuff, i.e. characters, environments, illustrations etc.

Hope this helps

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    "Some artists know their strengths and their weaknesses "

Im sure its important to have fluid enviornment with characters. So, Suggesting that you know the enviornment artist well enough to understand his style to incorporate into yours, vice versa.. Should be okay'

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    A background is best when the characters are in movement, telling a story of what they are doing. When it's just a focus on the character's design, then a background isn't really needed.

Now as for the portfolio, it's all about showing your strengths. If you are good at character/creature designs, then showing those off will show your skills in character/creature design and anatomy. If you are better at backgrounds and environments, then showing those off will show your skills in composition, design of environment, lighting and shading (which is also a biggie for character/creature design), and perspective. Heck, you can do both to show you're good at most of those.

------
    Wait... What were we talking about?

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.