some crits please..
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

kev ferrara is offline Registered User Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,150 Times in 1,700 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I'm really liking this. Good light source. And I like the way the cave transitions from rock to ... oh, I just noticed, that's water, ain't it.

Well, whatever. I did a paintover to show how you might pop up the graphics a bit and how removing some of the glare on the rocks will make the lights sources seem brighter. I thought the water was a bed of green minerals, so I sorta fiddled with it. Same principle applies that the water can both look more like water, and have some jewel like glinting going on. And if you're going to do water in a cave, you really want to get into caustics. That will be a nice texture on the wall behind the creature.

Just as a note about the creature... that bird won't fly! Is this a bird that has evolved to be a non flying cave dweller?

Also, silhouette is really important. I saw that you were trying to go for some chiaroscuro type effect with the bird "melting" into the darkness. But with light streaming in, the likelihood that that would happen so soon into the cave is pretty low. Besides, good strong silhouette is stronger look anyhow. Better to define the silhouette with a dark color around it, than try to melt it into darkness.

kev

Attached Images Attached Images  
    At least Icarus tried!

My Process: Dead Rider Graphic Novel (Dark Horse Comics) plus oil paintings, pencils and other goodies:
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=101106

My "Smilechild" Music. Plus a medley of Commercial Music Cues and a Folksy Jingle!:
    http://www.myspace.com/kevferrara

3. The Following User Says Thank You to kev ferrara For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    thank you very very much for taking your time. really appreciate it. I agree with everything you said. The paintover you did really made me see what you meant so thanks for that to...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    really nice rendering and sense of light.. i like the composition too. I had only one problem.. i cannot tell that this is a cave at all.. if i didnt read it i would not think its a cave but rather some kind of dark forest with bright lights shining through the tree trunks.. u see where im coming from? even the greens in the darker areas imply to me that its a forest

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.