P.O.W.! Challenge 20--BUGS! (as History) - Page 2
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: P.O.W.! Challenge 20--BUGS! (as History)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yeah I originally thought about doing Paul Revere's Ride... with Fire Flies in the tower... LOL! But then I remembered the St. Valentine's Massacre and Bugs Moran. With a name like that... it had to be told by Insects!

POW doesn't give a lot of time to show off drawing skills, but with CHOW you can focus on a single moment and character and make it look your best... that is probably why people gravitate to it. I'd be rather curious to see some of the popular artists in CHOW try their hand at POW... I wonder how it would turn out.

I have to say trying to make 2-3 minimum pages in a couple weeks is really intimidating to me. I'm not going to be able to do it every challenge because its really time consuming just coming up with the idea/dialog let alone drawing it up... and I do want to create other stuff too!

DeviantART Gallery . . . . . CA Sketchbook . . . . . Social Pariah

Sketch-Group-That-Shall-Not-Be-Named:
    ME! . . . Spaztastic . . . Lakeland . . . Vehkt . . . RealityChek . . . Me,Myself & Me again
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to shannanigan For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yeah. I miss doing a plein aire now and again on Sunday or making attempts at larger scale fine art pieces. This challenge requires a major amount of dedication, and because of it I have very much respect for the guys doing panels for their daily bread. They can't afford to blow one off.

If you get your sketchbook too much filled up with simplified drawings people will tend to assume you suck in general, so it is a tough call. The people who are very concerned to be on their "A" game with everything they post on CA rarely show up here (except perhaps Hideyoshi who seems on his "A" game everywhere, and Cookiedough who I have never seen crash and burn with anything, and Prometheus|ANJ who seemed to run out of time).

4. The Following User Says Thank You to arttorney For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by arttorney View Post
    This challenge requires a major amount of dedication, and because of it I have very much respect for the guys doing panels for their daily bread. They can't afford to blow one off.

Absolutely.... comics and cartoons (Manga not included of course, because those guys are brilliant. *groan*) still doesn't get enough respect as an art form and the artists creating it don't get the credit they deserve.

Especially the ones who not only draw, ink and color but also write their own stories and strips and make websites to post them on or spend their own money trying to publish their work. People who are dedicated for the love of it and do it all on top of a "day job". Pretty amazing... there needs to be more Comic Love!

ME! . . . Spaztastic . . . Lakeland . . . Vehkt . . . RealityChek . . . Me,Myself & Me again

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to shannanigan For This Useful Post:

Ilaekae is offline P.O.W.! Leader, Complete Idiot, Super Moderator Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,580 Times in 1,786 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I guess i should mention that I'm doing the Nazi invasion of France--or at least a start on it. If i like how the idea works, I might do the entire Second World War some day...

No position or belief, whether religious, political or social, is valid if one has to lie to support it.--Alj Mary

Ironically, the concept of SIMPLICITY is most often misunderstood by simple-minded people. --Alj Mary

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Ilaekae View Post
    I guess i should mention that I'm doing the Nazi invasion of France--or at least a start on it. If i like how the idea works, I might do the entire Second World War some day...

LOL! I'm definitely curious to see which bug you choose to represent Hitler...

So I say you forget about the poll until Wednesday... you know on accident. Haha! I'm so behind on where I thought I'd be right now on this....

Ilaekae is offline P.O.W.! Leader, Complete Idiot, Super Moderator Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well...since February's short a couple of days and I said we'd have a month on this, and the fact that I have four doctor's appointments Monday and Tuesday (...you don't think I keep this good looking all on my own, do you? ) which will take about 20 hours out of my life riding streetcars and buses, how about we just do that, Ms. Sannanigiggles?

New deadline is Wednesday night, if anyone needs it. Actually, because of my bad rescheduling of Doctors, I literally cant do a poll until late Wednesday at the earliest anyway, so lets use the time constructively...

Deadline extended to Wednesday night, March 4, 2009.

No position or belief, whether religious, political or social, is valid if one has to lie to support it.--Alj Mary

Ironically, the concept of SIMPLICITY is most often misunderstood by simple-minded people. --Alj Mary

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Ilaekae View Post
    New deadline is Wednesday night, if anyone needs it. Actually, because of my bad rescheduling of Doctors, I literally cant do a poll until late Wednesday at the earliest anyway, so lets use the time constructively...

Aye Aye Cap'n!!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    aaah finally bought me a wacom a medium size one, so i hope this change will help me grow. Digital journey here i come!!

but i wont be joining this pow...to much crap at the moment ><

and i can't wait to see yall final entries

Yo Yo YO Panel of the Week POW

Needs Critique CrimsonBows

Obey the principle without being bound by it. LEARN, MASTER AND ACHIEVE!!!~ Bruce Lee

When one has no form, one can be all forms; when one has no style, he can fit in with any style.~ Bruce Lee

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You really don't one to get associated with this one, Oni'...

Mine's going to set back comic sequential art AND literature in general about eight or nine centuries...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hmm.. i have mostly problems with coming up with a proper historical idea. Figured the mythologies were out... as those aren't technically history.

For 'proper' historytelling, say wars or sieges... usually too much happens to capture in only a few pages. Since most incidents are related in a way... i find it hard to pin down just one thing. I've thought of doing some about a specific artist, but that also didn't feel okay and sorta too limited.... Hmm, stupid history... i can handle the bugs, just don't feel like wars...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    There are famous events that don't involve a cast of thousands or war, though. Examples: Martin Luther nailing his manifesto about the indulgences and stuff on that church door, the Watergate break in, the real life Romeo and Juliet style love affair that Pocahantas had.

I find it is easiest to think about events by starting out with places. If I think about Easter Island it brings to mind the Kon Tiki expedition. If I think about Russia, It brings to mind Rasputin. If I think about Scandinavia it brings to mind the discovery of Greenland.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to arttorney For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The other thing to keep in mind, Cookie', is that we don't necessarily aim for a complete presentation of any single idea. Even the Titanic story or the first men on the moon would be beyond our time limits, for example. The idea is to start the ball rolling with the first few pages of an idea, or the start and some additional pages later in the story. Otherwise, I'd be dead before I started my idea, because I really AM doing the WWII invasion of France. Try to cover ALL of that action would take me the rest of my life, and forget about anything meaningful on WWII as a whole...

Show me Guy Faust.
    Show me George Washington crossing the Delaware.
    Show me Marie Auntiehairnet losing her earrings--big time.
    Show me Caesar being goosed by his "buddies."
    Show me a shrimpy French artist visiting a cat house.
    Show me the first guy to convince his girlfriend that oysters were edible.

This is all history. Hell, turn it on it's head--show me the first professional bug exterminator--as a bug exterminating humans in the pantry.

Last edited by Ilaekae; March 1st, 2009 at 04:59 PM.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Ilaekae For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I am happy this is still going on! I'll join someday

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I got too much crap to do next week so I must post my final now. Sorry in advance for what you are about to see.
    Name:  pow 10-1 good0001.jpg
Views: 265
Size:  101.8 KB
    Name:  POW 10-2good0001.jpg
Views: 274
Size:  85.2 KB
    Name:  pow 20-3good0001.jpg
Views: 261
Size:  76.7 KB

Last edited by arttorney; March 1st, 2009 at 08:24 PM.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to arttorney For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for the advice, guys. I'm still not sure about things though. I guess i'm overcomplicating things again.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Cookiedough For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    New here but I've been lurking on POW for a while now haha (creeper status WOO BABY!)

Will definitely be taking advantage of the extension and entering something.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    "I guess i'm overcomplicating things again."

You do seem to do that a lot, Dear... I personally tend toward simple...probably because I'm as simple as they come...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here is mine... I made it!!! Woo Hoo!

Name:  pow20_pg1_shannanigan.jpg
Views: 194
Size:  141.8 KB

Name:  pow20_pg2_shannanigan.jpg
Views: 221
Size:  141.4 KB

Name:  pow20_pg3_shannanigan.jpg
Views: 220
Size:  145.2 KB

Last edited by shannanigan; March 5th, 2009 at 01:05 AM. Reason: Fixed somethin.... :)

26. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to shannanigan For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Forgive the messy comic you're about to see, wrote and drew it in the past two or so days. ): (excuses excuses) Oh well, NEXT pow around then, ahaha.

Anyway, I ended up doing the assassination of Frantz Ferdinant.

If I posted anything wrong just say the word!

28. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Hapun For This Useful Post:

donalfall is offline The Cat's Deputy (POW! Moderator)
    donalfall (at) gmail.com
    Level 10 Gladiator: Equites
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hapun, Shannanigan: Those are 2 great POW! entries. Very nice, I'm very impressed. I'm having awful trouble with Photoshop, hopefully this page will be more polished and the next 3 pages will be finished and up in the next few hours....

Name:  pow20page1.jpg
Views: 223
Size:  278.6 KB

P.O.W.! - All the Comic Challenges you can handle

donalfall's sketchbook - page 14 | donalfall.com | galwaypubscrawl.com | facebook | twitter |

30. The Following User Says Thank You to donalfall For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks donalfall! Good luck finishing the rest of our pages.
    "Beetelo Mussolini, il Dunghi" = genius!

Shannanigan: I really like the choice of colours, matches with your story perfectly!

32. The Following User Says Thank You to Hapun For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You folks are great. Glad to see you back Donalfall.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    alright awesome entry everyone

Hapun
    i have no idea what history that is but it is awesome and how you handle it and then at the end i was like waaaaat?!?!
    although the man face should have been a bug face since the humans are suppose to be replace by bugs

Shananigan I am not a history person but i am liking this one also i like the dead bugs and the last part lol funny x]
    One thing i wasn't feeling to much on was how you handle the ratatata gun shot noise, i like the noise though, but i think it look better that it was scattered "ratata" around the place so it look like scatter gun shot in ratata noises

Donafall hahaha i like the title of it, can't wait to see the rest of it

Arttorney ha i see going all digital ey, looks good, i like the history of this too, especially how they talk and how you drew the bug with dramatic poses to go with what they are saying

Yo Yo YO Panel of the Week POW

Needs Critique CrimsonBows

Obey the principle without being bound by it. LEARN, MASTER AND ACHIEVE!!!~ Bruce Lee

When one has no form, one can be all forms; when one has no style, he can fit in with any style.~ Bruce Lee

35. The Following User Says Thank You to SalOnimaruRem For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Oni Rem View Post

Shananigan I am not a history person but i am liking this one also i like the dead bugs and the last part lol funny x]
    One thing i wasn't feeling to much on was how you handle the ratatata gun shot noise, i like the noise though, but i think it look better that it was scattered "ratata" around the place so it look like scatter gun shot in ratata noises

Thanks Oni... I know the gun shot should have looked more sporadic but I liked the flow. I admit I went with form over function.

If you are interested you can read the story on Wikipedia... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/St._Val...s_Day_Massacre.
    The crazy part is, I didn't make any of it up... the Frank guy did say that (he had over 20 bullet wounds!!) and they found a dog in the garage (not a caterpillar... obviously) I found a lot of good references of the crime scene... The dead bug panel is from an actual police photo!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks Oni! I hope it's okay to have one human panel for dramatic/emotional effect?

And don't worry, I only remember this thanks to world history last year, haha! Just some background info: Franz Ferdinand was the archduke of Austria-Hungary and his assassination is often considered the cause of the first world war.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Sorry i'm on so late, everybody. Everything looks really great. I should have the poll open in about an hour or so, and the new challenge up right after that.

My apologies for the rather erratic behavior over the last few days... I've been fighting a case of pneumonia for the last five days and it's been kind of rough to stay awake. I've been falling asleep in weird places lately, like at the computer and while eating dinner. To the good side, it appears to be clearing up nicely and I should be back to my normal miserable self by this weekend.

Attached Images Attached Images      

Thanks
    Thanked 1,584 Times in 1,007 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Ah, sorry, Top Cat. I missed that. Fried computer and various other dramas.
    Next time.....

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

P O W Challenge 20 BUGS as History

OK, I think I need to do this one. I have sooooooooo many scraps. I will need to do a bit of scavenging through them to see what I have to work with before I make my plan of attack. But this sounds like fun.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.