Follows
    Following

----Art Networks----
    CA.org Sketchbook
    CGHub.com
    ----Social Network----
    Facebook.com
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Straniero is offline "The narrative could be better..." Level 1 Gladiator: Andabatae
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    My timing: "Ill met by moonlight, proud Titania."

Well, this Titania WIP is is ineligible because it was started prior to this weeks challenge, but I thought I'd get into the spirit of things and post nonetheless. A friend was used as reference for the face and pose.

Great images so far; hopefully I'll be able join in the fun as well with a new entry!

Attached Images Attached Images  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by MJ_Alcazar View Post
    Wow, four pages already!

WIP.

Damn girl... you go! LOL!

Her costume is really great... only thing I notice is her right arm (on our left) looks a little short for the position its in.

DeviantART Gallery . . . . . CA Sketchbook . . . . . Social Pariah

Sketch-Group-That-Shall-Not-Be-Named:
    ME! . . . Spaztastic . . . Lakeland . . . Vehkt . . . RealityChek . . . Me,Myself & Me again

4. The Following User Says Thank You to shannanigan For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Update:

SKETCHBOOK!
    IF THIS POST DOES NOT CONTAIN SKETCHES OR PAINTINGS - REPRIMAND ME!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Okay, so here's my sketch, I think I found a ref that looks aristocratic enough but the composition is kinda boring I think?

EDIT: ah screw it, I drew a new sketch to make it more interesting (and make it easier to draw ) but I kept the same hand positions.

Last edited by humboldt squid; February 3rd, 2009 at 10:08 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Awesome topic
    Here's what I have so far. Going for a Pre-Raphaelite/bohemian sort of erm.. look.

I'll come back & do some crits later, too tired right now & probably won't make sense XD

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by dirkvandulmen View Post
    here's another wip.
    enjoy. his is going to be a huge round I'm guessing...
    It looks so much better without the ink outlines. She is so much softer and pretty now. Don't bring them back, I beg of you! hee hee

Quote Originally Posted by guastaferro View Post
    Okay, throwin mine in. Got notes that i needed to work on rendering out better, so thats the goal on this one.
    Working on a couple ideas here, still havent realized what she should look like or who she should be.
    I also need to work on the composition in general.
    I like the second one better with her positioning and the expression on her face. If you changed some things I'm sure the first one would work too, but it's not my favorite.

Quote Originally Posted by shannanigan View Post
    Final design Sketch... with no idea what the background will be.
    I might do a Mucha on it with a fancy deco border or something. Of course that didn't help my Knight get any fans... so we'll see....
    I personally liked your last piece, and I'm really loving this one so far. I have to say that there is something about your style that I really love. Best of luck to you!

MJ Alcazar: I think there is something that's not quite right about the child's torso in your drawing. Other than that I love it.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dani Duck For This Useful Post:

hunchback is offline I disagree! PENIS! TACO! CHEWBACCA!
    Level 8 Gladiator: Thracian
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    here she is coloured
    havent flattened the image yet so i can make changes to the form itself

please give me crits as i would like to improve in anyway possible.
    not sure if she should have wings or not...

john Grello: cant wait to see it finished xD

Thanks
    Thanked 1,766 Times in 648 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Daym, guys, i feel so proud. :] Some awesome stuff coming out this round!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi all. Man, after looking at this stuff I feel waaaay behind. Awesome stuff.

So, can anybody give me some input on this sketch? I'd like to get some bugs worked out before I start on the color bits, and I'd love people to point out problems.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Posh, Trevor, Matt, all of you. You're all just.. sick. Looking great, guys. =)

Man. I was thinking, "Oh man, I'm definitely entering this round" and then I flip through and see all of these amazing images. Ah well, I'll enter anyways.

Can't wait to see some finished pieces from all of you crazy bastards.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Mock For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    1st post ever =O its really rough but ..yeah

Last edited by Lammashta; February 4th, 2009 at 12:08 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

how do you pronounce Titania?

It's been a while. whoah!
    Name:  090203titania_00.jpg
Views: 976
Size:  366.6 KB
    Titania is pulling some fey influence into her, including satyrs and other woodland things. Her hair trails behind her like a writhing elemental mane. Forest dreads.

The fairies in her entourage are somewhat fairy, somewhat gobliny, mostly strange. We'll see where it goes next.

I originally drew her naked, then put some clothes on her. My girlfriend said she preferred her naked though. She might stay dressed for the final or not. Either way I'll keep it tasteful :]

keep up the solid work everybody! wows.

Does anybody mind making new posts as you go? As long as they're consolidated in the final burner I'm guessing that's ok? Thanks!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thats great Peter_john. I like the pose, the way you worked in the different elements of the woodland creatures, and the thick hair is great. Its inspiring me Cant wait to see it finished.

Amaliax - are you working from any references? it just feels a bit flat right now. Actually, what is that on the left side of the page? The details in the cloths and shadows are great, id move more in that direction with this.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to guastaferro For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Trevor: That's awesome. The skin texture is really nice, and the mood is coming together beautifully.

Matt Dixon: Some magic is already happening. I like the character design a lot, and the colors are already beautiful.

===

WIP updated.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This seemed like such the perfect opportunity to really test my new style out and I like what I've come up with so far, got the original line art, as well as a quick color study thing. I'm liking Posh's stuff as well as JohnGrello

Name:  titania.jpg @ 50% (RGB_8).jpg
Views: 819
Size:  139.0 KB
    Name:  Untitled-1 @ 50% (Layer 4, RGB_8).jpg
Views: 815
Size:  124.0 KB

Thanks
    Thanked 1,766 Times in 648 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Second sketch, first I scrapped.

Blah!

Name:  titaniawip_003.jpg
Views: 808
Size:  410.0 KB

22. The Following User Says Thank You to daestwen For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

LOL... soooooo I'm thinking about doing something completely different! hahaha... sooo much work and now I wanna go with a whole new image.... SOMEONE TALK ME DOWN! PLEASE!

great updates! I love the pure amount of force in this CHoW!

----Art Networks----
    CA.org Sketchbook
    CGHub.com
    ----Social Network----
    Facebook.com

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Straniero: Never to late for CHoW! well unless its Feb 9th... then it is to late. Otherwise... all in

Graphuji: I love the mask... and the very royal look... I sometimes wanna do a mask... but then I think people will think I'm coping out.

humboldt squid: interesting start... wheres it going

Kroevyn: Very nice... did you dive in painting?

hunchback: Very nice mate... can't really crit at this stage... its looking really good tho... I'd just say something about the exposed back doesn't feel right... other than that its rockstar.

amaliax: shes purttty

Lammashta: GREAT first post welcome!

peter_john: very nice man... now shooo... we don't need more competition ... Damnit damnit damnit

Nightblue: Very nice! watch the neck shadow and the belly button... you might wanna drop the belly button a tad... but other than that grats!

Wolfentir: Very earthy... I likes

daestwen: FOUL! delay of game! OFFSIDES! your allowed to play? hehe... j/k... very nice... is that in a sketch book or emulated?

----Art Networks----
    CA.org Sketchbook
    CGHub.com
    ----Social Network----
    Facebook.com

25. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ionic For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    amaliax:the perspective of the wings is not correct.and is not attached properly to the back of the character. i made a quick drawing to show what i mean, because my english is very bad and is very frustrating at this time of the night...(if this is too offenseive or invasive, tell me and i will remove the attachment) hope it helps.

Name:  titania wip 2.jpg
Views: 773
Size:  66.3 KB

JOHNGRELLO:if you want to go in another direction still there is time...but i think you should finish the first one.i don't know exactly what, but the more advanced painting lost some of the feel of the drawing...the gesture of the body perhaps(level of shoulder and the change in the right foot)...maybe is just me(i need to sleep!)...anyway the figure is great and the composition is interesting.so i think you could finish it.

great works so far everyone

27. The Following User Says Thank You to DIMAGYAN For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ok so in the spirit of improving my painting skillz (i have the color sense of a comatose mule), i'm trying the b&w to color approach. which i've never done. and i am trying to work it loosely and then tighten, instead of treating my painting like a coloring book and staying in the lines.
    i still have no clue what color scheme i'd like.

here's what i have so far. i'm already kinda iffy about the technique, but i am also sick of not having a plan when it comes time to apply color. whadda yall think?

~tiffany

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    amaliax, her left arm needs attention, upper arm too short, shoulder looks out of place and hand is too smal... good work though.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,800 Times in 388 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    JesushadanIpod. Is this "CHOW" thing getting out of control or is it just my deluded self ummmmm...... talking to myself? Fuckin' amazing the quality of work coming out of this thread these days.
    That being said, gonna throw my little hat into this three-ring circus and pray that someone gives me some good advice or an enormous boot in the ass to let me know what I'm doing wrong. Always appreciate that kind of torture. Besides, my past chows haven't been too successful and I could use the guidance.
    As for my advice to the far and many in between, keep on doing what you're doing and I apologize for not leaving individual comments at this time. To the usual bad asses here: Jessi-Bean, Matt Dixon, Pixeltuner, and the lot. Thanks for showing us how its done.
    And Humboldt Squid........Where you been man?
    I've decide to go with the origin of the queen Titania and her coup to usurp the throne and the allegiance of the faeries blah, blah, blah.
    WIP

Check it out
    Blog, we've all got em:http://davesrightmind.blogspot.com/
    Creatures Galore!:www.creaturespot.com
    Full gallery o' stuff:davesrightmind.deviantart.com

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by JOHNGRELLO
    Kroevyn: Very nice... did you dive in painting?
    Thanks
    & nah I did a few sketches before painting

-----

MJ_Alcazar: Good work so far, love the detailed costume. Her pose is slightly awkward though; she doesn't seem to be leaning properly on her right hand/arm, and it looks like she's about to fall over.

Graphuji: Love the overall design, looks great. I think there's an anatomy problem somewhere but I can't quite figure it out. Perhaps her waist is a little too small?

humboldt squid: Ooh I think I liked the other pose more, it was more dynamic, but it's still early days for this one, can't wait to see where you take it.

hunchback: Great colour scheme. Some of the forms are a little hard to read though - especially with the material. The whole image looks a little too.. contrasted, if that makes sense? Adding more mid-tones would help define the forms. & yes to wings The pose she is in would look great with wings.

amaliax: I like the style you're going for. The wings seem a little big though, not sure how they're attached to her body?

Lammashta: Great start, interesting pose. Might want to watch the foreshortening though - her left leg is at an odd angle.

peter_john Lol I'd like to know how to pronounce Titania too XD Very nice pic so far. Her fingers look a bit short though. Can't wait to see it coloured.

Nightblue: Looking great so far. The upper body is good, but something about her legs makes the pose seem a little stiff.

Wolfentir: Interesting style. Colours are looking quite nice as well. I'm not sure what direction you're aiming for, but perhaps try varying the line weight of the figure, currently she looks a little flat & is blending into the background (in the uncoloured version).

daestwen: Nice sketch. Reminds me of the Pressed Fairies book. Can't wait to see where you take it.

JOHNGRELLO: You should definitely finish this one. Looks great so far. Not too sure about the background though, the blue is a little too bright & is taking attention away from the figure.

T_Turrill: Great start. Love the headdress/hair/thing. There doesn't seem to be a specific light source though?

32. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Kroevyn For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Im with you John, while i wasnt as far along as you, im starting over. There seems to be soo many things you can do with this that each time somone posts a new image i get new ideas.
    But i will try to talk you down, cause i love yours! But at the same time, id be very intersted to see what else you can come up with

Tiffany - i really like it, the one thing that is bugging me is the purple, it makes it hard to see the art for what it is. But looks like its going to end up nice

Last edited by guastaferro; February 4th, 2009 at 04:09 AM.

34. The Following User Says Thank You to guastaferro For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    *update*
    Getting colors in, jumping around still right now, not even sure what the hands and feet are going to be like yet. Ill have to take a look at the leg positioning, her left one seems fine, i can see that the right one is off.

Last edited by guastaferro; February 4th, 2009 at 03:00 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

My fingers hurt!

OK, so I've been here for a long time, but I rarely get very involved on here. At least "socially," you know "no critique, no likey." Hey, but it's a new year and I just discovered that I have a keyboard and not just a tablet which I'm also trying to get to know a lot better. I'm usually lurking in the deep dark shadows of my office oogling other people's amazing work when I probably should be working on mine more. But your all just so damn good! So I guess it's your (general you) fault I suck. But that's in the past. Enough "emoing out ."

Posh Spice: Very cool! I like the old school Froud feel!

Trevor: MAN I'M LOVIN' YOURS!!! BTW, If you'd be willing I would totally be interested in any tips on BW to Color method. I'll pay you in total admiration .

Nutter: Lookin' good! You have to finish it!! I must see it finished!!!

JOHNGRELLO: Dude! Your stuff is rad! I always like what you come up with.

T_Turrill: You have some sick sketches! Don't feel to bad about improving on your painting/color skills, I'm in the same boat as you. I know once you start to get it though, you're going to be awesome! Keep it up!

Matt Dixon: What can I say man... You are the DIXON! I always love your work. In fact I'm reading my Fantasy Artist's Bible right now! Hah

Artofinca: I really like where you're going with it! Looking forward to seeing it finished.

fersteger: Awesome colors! Reminds me of Klimt's work.

ikuru: lookin' cool! uh er warm, That's a warm color scheme right? I'm so stupid .

hunchback: I think it would benefit your piece if you toned down the spacing on your brushes. The strokes are looking repetitive (in a bad way) and I think they take away from the character. Other than that I think she's looking pretty good!

Peter_John: Yours is in my top three faves so far. Rad concept! I can't wait to see it finished! I was kind of going for that feel myself. Now we'll have to see though.

EVERYONE ELSE:
    I suck at typing and thus far I've probably spent an hour at least doing just that. So I am sorry that I did not comment on yours, but I may very well just do that in the future. And don't feel bad just because I didn't comment on yours, or anyone else didn't! Because you know what? It's not about getting comments, or even critiques, it's about getting better. And yah sometimes those comments, or critiques can help, but I will tell you from experience that the best way to get better is to just keep painting and just keep drawing. Be an artistic scientist and test out your theories everyday and when you run into problems, then find the the solutions to your problems and then make new hypotheses and test those and eventually you're going to kick butt! Anyone can be an artist, but a good artist never quites learning and improving on their skill. Keep it up guys!!!!!!

With all that being said I kind of feel like a big schmuck for posting my barely mediocre art. But hey, I will anyway. Maybe someone will comment on it !

No seriously though I was thinking.. Titania.. daughter of a Titan. OK so maybe she's like a giant and she's queen of the fairies so she's a woodland type character so here's what I got so far...

...Which I would be much farther along if I didn't have to do so much damned typing . How do some of you guys do this? Much respect!!! So I just realized how many ass-kissy emoticons I have and that's funny and thought I'd add one more for good measure, but then I thought better of it and decided to add this one .

Some see the glass half full. Others see it half empty. I just try to see the glass!

37. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to darkly For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    That's actually a really cool and original concept, Nate. I think it would be better to reign in those extreme proportions a little - they're making her look a little comical right now. Just scaling up the torso and legs so they're better balanced with the arms and head should do it.

What's she doing? Right now her pose and expression are neutral, like she's waiting to have her photograph taken. Giving her even a simple action such as watching the birds circling her staff, or shielding her eyes from the sun as she surveys her realm would help to project a bit more personality.

This could be a really sweet entry.

39. The Following User Says Thank You to Matt Dixon For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,206 Times in 882 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Phew...managed some WIPS last night first 3 were the progress ideas and the last one is the final design i'm running with - Sorry I 'over leveled' them last night I was in a rush so excuse the bad quality - if I have time I'll try and post some colour wips before we reach page 10! hehe I'd better get my skates on ;P

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for the advices
    So many good works .... i like this round
    Wip from today.

My Sketchb00k regular updates
    -= i am looking for work =-
    DeviantArt . CGhub gallery . www.artofinca.com . Blog