The best Nietzsche quotes - Page 2

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,670 Times in 5,020 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by armando View Post
    Seriously, I don't understand the quote. Heard it lots of times, always goes right over my head. Is there somewhere where I can get the explanation?
    When you define yourself in opposition to something, that thing becomes an integral part of your makeup.

Last edited by Elwell; February 2nd, 2009 at 09:32 PM.

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

Crash Course for Artists, Illustrators, and Cartoonists, NYC, the 2013 Edition!

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
  3. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Elwell For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Elwell View Post
    When you define yourself in opposition to something, that thing becomes an integral part of your makeup.
    Drool, a much better explanation than my sensation/integration concept!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Someone want to entertain me with their thoughts on this:

Losses.- There are some losses which communicate to the soul a sublimity in which it ceases from wailing, and wanders about silently, as if in the shade of some high and dark cypresses.
    Is it because we only can feel for the lost, that we revel in the emotion alone- the last thing left of something lost, is the sadness you hold onto?

Does my interpretation make any sense? lol.. I'd like to hear others, I'm interested in that quote.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to gnarl For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    "one must still have chaos in oneself in order to give birth to a dancing star"

i totally can't get over how you quoted half of his backcatalogue yet this is missing.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Dan.v.D. For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,014 Times in 376 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by gnarl View Post
    Someone want to entertain me with their thoughts on this:

Is it because we only can feel for the lost, that we revel in the emotion alone- the last thing left of something lost, is the sadness you hold onto?

Does my interpretation make any sense? lol.. I'd like to hear others, I'm interested in that quote.
    I don't know the context of the quote, but I find it reminds me of a phrase from the play Brand, by Henrik Ibsen: “Singly lost, eternally gained”.

It might reflect a meditation on the cosmic irony of Loss...Experiences, emotions, people, things etc are temporary, but once lost, their absence is eternal.

In the future, everyone will have 15 minutes of privacy.

Portfolio
    Sketchblog
    Facebook art page

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to squidmonk3j For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I feel a bit inadequate posting this. I've never read all of Thus Spoke Zarathustra, and I'm not sure who's translation this is, as it was just the one I was able to find on the internet, but I really love this passage. I actually heard this read in a song, and looked it up to discover it was Nietzsche. I just can't get over the imagery presented in this passage. It gives me goosebumps every time I read it. It's at once nightmarish and transcendental (obviously part of the parable). It also makes me think of Caspar David Friedrich paintings. Dark, gloomy, mysterious, but with an air of eternity and stillness that is some how comforting.

From Thus Spoke Zarathustra:

"Among wild cliffs I stood suddenly alone, bleak, in the bleakest moonlight. But there lay a man. And there — the dog, jumping, bristling, whining — now he saw me coming; then he howled again, he cried. Had I ever heard a dog cry like this for help? And verily, what I saw — I had never seen the like. A young shepherd I saw, writhing, gagging, in spasms, his face distorted, and a heavy black snake hung out of his mouth. Had I ever seen so much nausea and pale dread on one face? He seemed to have been asleep when the snake crawled into his throat, and there bit itself fast. My hand tore at the snake and tore in vain; it did not tear the snake out of his throat. Then it cried out of me; "Bite! Bite its head off! Bite!" Thus it cried out of me — my dread, my hatred, my nausea, my pity, all that is good and wicked in me cried out of me with a single cry.

You bold ones who surround me! You searchers, researchers, and whoever among you has embarked with cunning sails on unexplored seas. You who are glad of riddles! Guess me this riddle that I saw then, interpret me the vision of the loneliest. For it was a vision and a foreseeing. What did I see then in a parable? And who is it who must yet come one day? Who is the shepherd into whose throat the snake crawled thus? Who is the man into whose throat all that is heaviest and blackest will crawl thus?

The shepherd, however, bit as my cry counseled him; he bit with a good bite. Far away he spewed the head of the snake — and he jumped up. No longer shepherd. no longer human — one changed, radiant, laughing! Never yet on earth has a human being laughed as he laughed! O my brothers, I heard a laughter that was no human laughter; and now a thirst gnaws at me, a longing that never grows still. My longing for this laughter gnaws at me; oh, how do I bear to go on living! And how could I bear to die now! "

Ia Ia Cthulhu Fthagn

The Sketchbook Lives AGAIN!

Darkergreen, My environment, and concept art portfolio

"Its all Fish-Men in the end anyway" -Sara, my wife

"Whenever one finds oneself inclined to bitterness, it is a sign of emotional failure."
    Bertrand Russell

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Cthogua For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Rainville View Post
    "Nietzsche is god" - death
    "Death is an illusion" -timeless wisdom

My diverse collection of artsy happenings (portfolio): http://coenearts.carbonmade.com/

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Elwell View Post
    Unless you're careful.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by iffy View Post
    Unless you're careful.
    Hey pal, where ya' been? I see you did some serious housecleaning.

Tristan Elwell

-John Cale

-Marc Maron

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I looked into the void and we were all there.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Gotcha.

Tristan Elwell

-John Cale

-Marc Maron

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    We literally *are* the abyss, unless we look very carefully. Even more carefully than Nietzsche did, bless his heart.

In other news, looks like you're finally teaching a continuing ed class, Elwell. Too bad I missed the first month.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,122 Times in 871 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    "There was, in fact, only one Christian, and he died on the cross."

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    True Christians never die.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by armando View Post
    "Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And when you look long into an abyss, the abyss also looks into you."

Heard or read this one dozens of times, never understood it.
    It's sort of like, if for example, you have an upcoming politician who has all these noble plans for the future... but to overcome all of his dirty opponents, he has to get a more and more dirty himself. So by the time he's reached the top, he's as dirty as all those he thought he was better than. He's become like them, or worse. Sort of like "the road to hell is paved with good intentions."

As for the abyss portion, I think it's a lot like, the longer you're surrounded by darkness and evil in your life, the more you'll find yourself taking it into you as well.

...just like when I moved away from my hometown to a big city and found that because no one opened doors anymore, I don't open doors for anyone anymore either.

Follow Me! | DeviantART | Twitter

Thanks
    Thanked 1,425 Times in 625 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    It actually makes absolutely no sense to quote Nietzsche sentence by sentence, all you get out of this is mindless rambling that could be everything. Thats simply not how this works.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Partisan For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by sanya View Post
    It's sort of like, if for example, you have an upcoming politician who has all these noble plans for the future... but to overcome all of his dirty opponents, he has to get a more and more dirty himself. So by the time he's reached the top, he's as dirty as all those he thought he was better than. He's become like them, or worse. Sort of like "the road to hell is paved with good intentions."
    Yeah, he was always like them but didn't realize it. He was just in a more naive stage.

Quote Originally Posted by sanya View Post
    As for the abyss portion, I think it's a lot like, the longer you're surrounded by darkness and evil in your life, the more you'll find yourself taking it into you as well.
    The abyss doesn't represent darkness and evil. It stands for the meaningless chaos of reality; neither good nor evil. Someone who sees it as evil is merely projecting their own view onto it. So the abyss is just like a mirror, which is why it looks back at you when you look into it. The same can be said about anything else that exists; your view of it is just that, a view. It is never a separate part of some objective reality. It's always just you looking.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Members who have read this thread: 1