Good books about industrial design?
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Good books about industrial design?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Good books about industrial design?

I plan to build my portfolio with some conceptual designs, but I realized that I need to have some ground in industrial/transportation design. Is there any good book about industrial/transportation design?

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Mark Bot is offline full of gears and wires Level 6 Gladiator: Provocator
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    transportation? Definitely check out Scott Robertson.
    "How to draw cars the Hotweels Way" I'm serious. Scott knows his shit.

Drawthrough also has great resources http://www.drawthrough.com/

And i believe Sam Brown did a download on vehicle design. http://conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=128978

As for actual industrial design methods. This book has been the staple of all ID students http://www.designsketching.com/
    You should also pick up a book on Basic Perspective. Knowing perspective well will be the basis for any good technical design.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mark Bot For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I second the How to Draw Cars the Hot Wheels Way. It was used as an industrial design textbook at a college I went to for a bit. Plus it's less than $20, I think.

I've been eying this book: Sketching Drawing techniques for product designers. Looks good and has good reviews on Amazon.

Mark Bot is offline full of gears and wires Level 6 Gladiator: Provocator
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by tmbritton View Post
    I've been eying this book: Sketching Drawing techniques for product designers. Looks good and has good reviews on Amazon.
    We have a book similar to that at my office. If it's the one i'm thinking of then it's got some really good information and techniques in it. The only issue is that it's all related to pen sketching and rapid viz, which means no computer tips. So if you're into chalk, pastel, pens and gouche then that'd be a good resource. You might be able to apply some of those techniques to the computer but generally it's a lot more focused on analog methods.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    That sounds good then. The last thing I need is another book that explains keyboard shortcuts.

I found this thread on Product Design Forums. It's five pages of Industrial design book recommendations.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by tmbritton View Post
    I second the How to Draw Cars the Hot Wheels Way. It was used as an industrial design textbook at a college I went to for a bit. Plus it's less than $20, I think.

I ordered that book from buy.com. It costs around 45 bucks after shipping and everything.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,292 Times in 745 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Taschen editions have some really useful books about that, and design overall.
    This one is quite expensive but it's awesome, and you can find it second hand i think.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Industrial-D.../dp/3822850578

Sketchbook :: Blog :: Gorilla Artfare :: Prints :: my Etsy
    koppa says:
    i could kick an eggs ass if i wanted to

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Clochette - is that book more about the design process, and elements of design? Most of the above refs seem to be drawing books really, where I guess what I'd be interested in more - if anybody knows - is the engineering side of things. Dunno if it's silly to bark up that tree without having to go right into the depths of the field itself..

Thanks
    Thanked 1,130 Times in 479 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Mark Bot: The book 'Sketching; Drawing techniques for Product Designers' doesn't necessarily focus on the techniques for different media, it rather shows you quick and informative ways to show your design, regardless of the medium. It's a book I can highly recommend, although it might not be very helpful if you're just starting out with drawing. It contains a lot of examples from several Design studios (as well as three pages on Kill Zone from Guerilla games). The 'Design Sketching' book is good too, I got both on a shelf here .

Dirty C: Hm the problem here is that actually designing and engineering stuff is very complex and can be done in so many different ways that it would be impossible to write a single book about it that would teach you all about it. A lot like having a book on drawing anime characters to teach you all about drawing the human figure, it just doesn't work that way. Rather, you'd need to read a whole range of books that cover subjects such as manufacturing, math and physics, human-product interaction and ergonomics, materials, marketing, design processes and I can mention a few other fields that all play a role in a proper design process. You can find a few books on those topics in tmbritton's and Clochette's links I think (like this one for example: Making it: Manufacturing Techniques for Product Design).

11. The Following User Says Thank You to yoitisi For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Fair play, thanks Yoitisi.

revenebo is offline orchitect and designerd
    Level 6 Gladiator: Provocator
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    About industrial design: does anybody know anything about this book?? Looks pretty interesting as an introduction to industrial design sketching but I've never had the possibility to browse through it.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,130 Times in 479 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Revenebo: It starts out with some basic theory about perspective and things, and then gives a whole bunch of examples in different mediums and on different topics. It's a really good book to have on shelf, definitely worth its money.

revenebo is offline orchitect and designerd
    Level 6 Gladiator: Provocator
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    yoitisi Thanks man! I was going to pm you to ask about the book right before seeing this thread.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.