Thanks

Smile Recommend a Scanner

Hi all!
    I'm interested in buying a scanner, but there a lot in the market and I don't know where to begin.
    The most important thing that I'm looking for in a scanner, is one where the colours and detail are accurate to what it is I'm scanning; it would most likely be drawings on cartridge paper, drawings from a sketchbook and ink/watercolour.

My budget isn't a huge one, I'm still a student and so I can't afford THE most professional scanner, but I do like and appreciate quality, and if there is a scanner that does the job properly but the price pushes a bit over my budget, then so be it.

In terms of size, I'm not too picky, whatever does the job properly and consistently is what I'm most picky about. : P

I've looked around and take it that Epson is a good brand to go for, but like I said I'm quite in the dark with scanners. I've never had one of my own before, only ever using the ones at school, college or in libraries.
    So yeah, any recommendations will be really appreciated!

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Canon Lide 600f, so far is the best one I've had, all the other ones, most of them epson died miserably under inglorious circumstances.
    DON'T CLICK THIS

Thanks
    Hey thanks for replying.
    Googled the scanner and the specs on it sound delicious. Its quite pricey, but by the looks of it, it'd pay off.
    The reviews on it sound promising.
    I forgot to mention that it'd be good if I could get a scanner that supports scanning 35mm film, and on the Canon website, it says it does, so yay!

How long have you had this scanner for?

Thanks
    I just order a Canon CanoScan 4400F. Gimmie a few days and I can tell you how it performs.

Thanks
    I've had for 2 years probably? which is a long while for a scanner owned by me.

I've killed scanners on a regular basis for the 6 years before that.
    DON'T CLICK THIS

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by pitabread View Post
    I just order a Canon CanoScan 4400F. Gimmie a few days and I can tell you how it performs.
    I have that one. Mines been going good for a couple years now.

Thanks
    @pitabread/r.mccabe: Googled that up as well, stats are also really nice, my only concern is the automatic retouching. Every now and then I like to take photographs with my Diana camera, and you can sometimes see little dust marks or tiny scratches, which all add to the effect, and I don't want that to be retouched.
    Had a read of the reviews, and otherwise it sounds quite good. Definitely not a bad scanner either.
    I still need to do s'more saving up before I making any decisions.

@evildisco: Sounds like the scanner can take a beating ;P

Thanks
    Retouching features are optional, at least based on what I've read in the 4400F manual.

Thanks
    got the cannon 4400F over a year now. very satisfied with it, he's being a good boy. befor that i had a hd combined scanner that was slammed to the floor (mechanism still worked but replacing glass cost almost the same as buying a new, better scanner), but the cannon is much better anyway. i like it, it's quick, gets good results, though i really never used it's special programs. it has an option for scanning film.

edit: p.s you can always disable automatic retouching options. i don't use it at all and prefer to correct and retuoch sacns on my own..

Thanks
    I just bought the Epson v30 and I'm not too crazy about it, because it scans quite heavy paper grain. Does the Canon 4400F do this too?

Thanks
    I have a very old Canon lide 50, and it´s an excellent scanner who supported heavy duty :lol: extremely well over the years. But now I´m much more interested in A3 Scanners or HD photographic resolution for reproduction. (Currently I have my eye on this little thing)
    Sketchbook is one click away:
    Never forget the Magicman

Thanks
    Most scanners are all the same specially on the consumer level, like the multifunction ones, just make sure you pick one with the tech you want:

CCD = Charge-Coupled Device or CIS = Contact Image Sensor

CCD can scan 3D objects like a pencil without getting the edges blurry while CIS can't.

Also the most import thing to consider are the drivers, they must have levels, to me it makes all the difference, I had an HP and it's drivers just plain sucked, so awful to scan pencil drawings, it would pick up the texture from the smoothest paper yet it wouldn't pick up most of the pencil lines, I believe it was made more for photograph scans rather than artwork.

I have a Canon Pixma at the moment, it scans great and the drivers are awesome, doesn't pick up paper grain specially if you mess with the settings a bit.