Sketchbook: Marria's Sketchbook - updated 17th January - Page 2
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Marria's Sketchbook - updated 17th January

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for your looksee through my sb, I thought I'd return the favor. I really like all your pen sketches and I'm jealous that you've got gotten down to 30 secs on pose maniacs, I can only currently do 60 without ending up with just a line. I also like the way you've managed to give your landscapes an almost glowing feel to them. On your latest pic I do agree with AmontilladoAg about the hands, maybe the one on our right could be a little bigger? I do however really like the spirit guy and I'm curious - how are you planning on colouring the pic?

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Edriss For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi Marria, you're off to a great start! You have a strength in depicting character in your figures; I especially like the swashbuckling pirate woman up in the first post. You also have a good grasp of the human figure in terms of anatomy and motion, though some of your poses are a little weakly grounded. I'm not sure what else to say but just keep going! Perhaps you should use a greater variety of brushes, with texture, just to break up the usual digital art smooth look. Anyway, really good stuff!

Please give erudite, constructive critiques or give none at all.

- b l o g - s k e t c h b o o k -

"Maybe this world is another planet's hell." - Aldous Huxley

4. The Following User Says Thank You to phiq For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,206 Times in 774 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Hey there, great SB so far! Your figures are coming along really well. Keep up the good work!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to dierat For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

hey marria

nice sketchbook.....i like ur studies n characters...faces are pretty awesome. i just started mine and i definately needs MMOOAAAR practice than u..

cya around

8. The Following User Says Thank You to maria riaz For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Can't believe I haven't updated this thing in more than a month!!

Edriss: Thank you, I really appreciate the comment. Haha, I know what you mean, 30 seconds was pretty tough in the beginning... Your posemaniacs sketches are so clean and smooth (compared to mine) I can see why they take 60 seconds... I let my lines go all over the place, scribbling as fast as possible trying to get down the complete figure no matter how ugly the end result is. I've noticed it has improved my drawing speed.

As for the Puppet King pic, (I've posted how it looks of late) I wanted to keep the colors minimal. Maybe because I'm still trying to get my values right and m not sure how and where to use colors? Any suggestions?

Phiq: Thank you so much for the morale boost and tips ! (I'm so sorry for the incredibly late response). Could you point out some of the weakly grounded figures? I can guess which ones you might be referring to but I'm not sure. Thanks! About the brushes, I have downloaded a bunch of them once, guess I've been procrastinating about using them, high time I tried them out.

Two paintings, Puppet King and Storm Witch. Some strange things going on with the anatomy and lighting in the second one... help?
    Need to break this habit of using a minimal color palette, also need to use traditional media more often!

Attached Images Attached Images    

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Your digital work is really coming along I feel like your pen sketches have a bit more energy to them, which often gets lost in the transition to a full value/color image. So overall that might be something to keep in mind as you continue.

I think the anatomy looks fine in the last piece, but I feel like maybe the problem lies in the figure's balance of weight. Right now it looks like she's falling over, and that she must be wearing out her back muscles to stay erect like at that angle. I'm also a little confused as to what the figure is feeling/doing; is she controlling the lightning? I think her pose could be improved to make the scene clearer (at first I thought she was afraid of the lightning until I read the title of the piece).

For value/color the only thing crit I have is that it could help the readability of the image if you neutralized the highlights in the background when they move behind the figure (or neutralize the highlights on the figure where the light of the bg would be brighter than hers). For example, in the valley you have some horizontal yellow highlights that connect to the figure's highlights and creates a confusing sense of depth. If the highlights in the valley were slightly darker and more neutral, they would appear to be further away and the figure's silhouette would be easier to read (especially neutralize the highlights as they come nearer the figure). With the lightning you have a similar problem in that the lights of the lightning and the highlights in the hair seem to merge and connect as if she's being hit by lightning. In that case I would make the lightning a little cleaner and make it less yellow (I think lightning is typically more blue/purple anyway) so it's clearer where the hair ends and where the lightning begins. And you could make the lower edge of her right arm a dark darker/more purple so it's not competing with the yellow of the sky. (Lately I've been doing back-lit images and I've had this problem a lot where the light source and the highlights on the figure are competing.)

Sorry for the giant block of text, but hopefully you'll find something in there helpful as you continue with this piece

11. The Following User Says Thank You to dierat For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Dierat: Wow, what are you apologizing for? I'm incredibly grateful to read giant blocks of (incredibly helpful) text like yours! Thank you so much!

I wanted the pose to look like shes floating sideways and that her figure's materializing from the clouds, the lightning is supposed to be coming from her... now that you mention it, it does look like she's afraid of it and is being struck by it, heheh. I didn't look at it that way, thanks for pointing that out. And for clearing that about the depth of the background... I was having trouble with that, that's cleared up a fair bit as well

Once again, I really appreciate the awesome comment! thank you so much for the time

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey marria, yaar when i commented on ur SB i didnt know abt that putting ur link in signature thing.....now i know. plus thanx for googling me and for ur sweet comments on my SB. yar nothings happening aaj kal no job and dint get scholarship call and wont b getting one coz time is up....u tell wats happening wat abt ur scholarship thing any news???
    that bakra concept was that he is the black sheep in jungle poluting the environment.

now u dont hav to google me again...cheeers!!!!!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    two new quick digi, around and hour on each? Both are characters from an Urdu epic. The first is an sorcerer emperor the second, his aunt also a sorceress. How old does she look. Lemme know what I need to fix. Thanks!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Anatomy/proportion mess-ups galore! Progress on the old lady, a quicki-sh character sketch for someone (looks funny) and another super quick character sketch.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    the sorcerer looks nice so far, the pearl mala in his neck is coming out nicely....well the old lady is not looking old actually she seems to b midle aged in the WIP so far......do somethin wid her figure, a lil hunch back and a bit drooping breast wud add to her age. study old women figures, i think a few more defined wrinkles will easily make face more aged...u hav to focus on the figure now.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to maria riaz For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Maria: Thank you! She's supposed to be old, but she's still capable of combat. it's confusing, but I'll try to work things out. here's how it look so far. Her head seemed a little too big to me, I hope it doesn't look small now.

And another quickie I did today, muddy colors, any weirdness proportion-wise?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    My battle of the sexes challenge entry and a sketchie thingie of a character

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Your portraits are wonderful! I particularly like the first image in post #39 and the second image in post #40. Keep up the good work!

21. The Following User Says Thank You to dierat For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Eep!

Okay. A quick character concept
    Some doodles
    Umm, an attempt at gouache. Gilgamesh and (dead)Enkidu.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You scratch fearless that's the way!, the only thing left is to put the details softly

24. The Following User Says Thank You to andres333 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Meh... going through one of those phases where it all just seems hopeless :/.

A quick character portrait for a friend... and that tacky character concept, I'm sick of it now.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey there, sorry to hear that you've been kinda down about your work. I get that all the time, so I know just how you feel. I love your doodles; I wish I could sketch the figure as easily as you make it look. And I like your character concept, and I don't think it's tacky. I really like the pose, the composition, and the movement in her sash. For crits, the position of the outstretched arm feels a bit uncomfortable at the moment, and I think her head is a bit large for her body. Also I think she could use a curved knife strapped to her leg or hip for close combat. Keep up the good work!

27. The Following User Says Thank You to dierat For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Smile

hey marria...just try to jump out of this hopeless phase....i had 10x of this sorta phase but i m all bucked up now....ur work rocks jigar.....keep working
    cheers!!!

29. The Following User Says Thank You to maria riaz For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    "phases where it all just seems hopeless" this is just a part of learning, I get through these phases by copying the great masters, and practicing the basics, "gesture" and "structure".

31. The Following User Says Thank You to andres333 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Dierat: Thank you yet again. I was motivated to go back to it. I am guilty of leaving so many paintings unfinished. Need to get un-lazy and find a ref or just take a pic of myself in that pose . I'm happy to be out of that phase at the moment!

Maria: Thanks jigaarr!! Yep, as I said, it's a phase, but it rarely stops me from drawing. I just complain a lot, haha! But I'm okay now!

Andres333: Thank you. In some ways it's good to go through these phases, it's a sign of wanting to grow instead of being perfectly happy with ones skills. Thank you so much for the advice

So 1) a bit more work on the character concept 2) something which started out as a sketch for DSG (can't decide which pose to use), 3) Elric of Melnibone doodle and 4) An experimental thingy.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice update. That arm's already looking much better than before. For the DSG variations, I like the 2nd one; I think that pose works better with her expression. The last image looks interesting - hope you continue with that.

34. The Following User Says Thank You to dierat For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Dierat: Thanks! Hope to wind up that concept soon. pic No. 2; I preferred the second variation as well, but really needed a second opinion! The last one is a marker sketch combined with scanned paint splatters and some *gasp* Gaussian blur over-usage! Let's see where that goes.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Have mixed feelings about this. Stiff cloak, strange legs etc...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Some sketches for a friends table top rpg game

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    SB randomness, accidentally re-posted one of the sketches, eep.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Happy new year!

A quick gesture thingy and a water color/acrylic thingy from last year.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ugh, a silly idea I had, has some weird issues I can't seem to pinpoint :/... and more gesture doodles...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Another experiment in gouache, inspired by Rumi's poetry.

To hear the song of the reed
    everything you have ever known must be left behind.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I like your works - particularly the one 2 posts before- the one you called "a silly idea". I think it's beautiful. ^^ I also like your Storm Witch. Please keep posting!

it's not the end that matters but the journey

43. The Following User Says Thank You to ilmenhin For This Useful Post:

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 12