Art: Recent Works (Updated 9/11/09)
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Recent Works (Updated 9/11/09)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Recent Works (Updated 9/11/09)

Here's a few recent pieces, most of them watercolor/ink. I'm still experimenting a bit with how stylized to make stuff but so far I'm pretty much enjoying it.

"Space Turtle Surfs the Cosmos"
    A remake of the same composition I had done for an on-locale speed painting competition in September (which came out poorly because the supplies they gave us were crap), of my as-yet-mostly-undeveloped character 'Space Turtle.' I have no idea what the character's about, but he's fun to paint.

"Fox Fires on New Year's Eve"
    For one of my art history classes I had to do a copy of Hiroshige's print of the same name, and thought it might be fun to revisit the concept in my own style. So I did. The basic legend is that all the kitsune meet to discuss matters of the coming year at a certain tree in Oji on New Year's Eve. The 9-tailed fox in this version is entirely my own addition (although it is of course based on other parts of kitsune lore).

"The Hobbit Tree"
    A portrait of my younger sister, and one piece in particular where I really started playing with the stylization, seeing how much of it I could apply to an otherwise realistic painting. This one is also really big, at almost 20x30"

"A Storyteller's Brush"
    Work for a local arts contest this past weekend. They give you 15 hours over 2 days and you paint an image to their theme with your own supplies. The theme this year was "Art...what does it mean?" which was vague and annoying, but I'm pretty pleased with the piece nonetheless.

"A Parrot Party"
    I started doing a bunch of animal paintings, because I haven't painted animals in ages and they're colorful and fun. First up was Macaws, because their colors are crazy. Original is roughly 10x20"

"Eager for the Sky"
    My most recent work (finished today actually), for my Illustration 2 class. Mixed media: brown ink, watercolor and colored pencil. I was mostly playing with expression here.

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Viridis; September 12th, 2009 at 12:03 AM. Reason: Updated
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Viridis For This Useful Post:

FourTonMantis is offline Without vision we will die Level 11 Gladiator: Essedarii
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    These are really nice. The textures on the tree in "The Hobbit Tree" are beautiful.

Jonish is offline Writer of The Book of Void Level 4 Gladiator: Meridiani
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Oh no, you're paintings are absolutely awesome! I got here from Bumskee's apple thread and you're right, you're absolutely not afraid of colors. By the way, that nine-tailed fox is really some basic character in...asian lore? Because I have seen it before, in Pokémon series and Ragnarok MMORPG.

Strange powers drag you through the black tunnel until you see mysterious Book of Void awaiting you.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,923 Times in 757 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    These are very nice indeed, a pleasure to look at. The painting of your sister, while not being the most powerful is interesting because it straddles the line between overt stylisation and regard to the reference. The 'What is Art' picture and the 'rocket turtle' are the most powerful but are getting a little close to a tinge of personal mannerism. I'm only talking about a slight tendency and only from a my own subjective point of view - the stylisation works very well for you, but your 'sister in the tree' picture, although a touch ineloquent in the marrage of styles, possibly offers something with more scope. Just a thought and a little subjective feedback that may or may not be useful. Looking forward to seeing some more.

From Gegarin's point of view
    http://www.chrisbennettartist.co.uk/

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonish View Post
    Oh no, you're paintings are absolutely awesome! I got here from Bumskee's apple thread and you're right, you're absolutely not afraid of colors. By the way, that nine-tailed fox is really some basic character in...asian lore? Because I have seen it before, in Pokémon series and Ragnarok MMORPG.
    Right. I didn't put in the full explanation here for convenience, but it's a pretty basic part of kitsune lore-- the story goes that for every 100 years a fox lives it will get an additional tail, signifying extra magical power and knowledge. The most powerful and wise kitsune are the kyuubi, with nine tails. This shows up... basically everywhere. Vulpix/Ninetales from Pokemon, Naruto, and the Demon Lord Ninetails from Okami...It's a very common element of Japanese myth, so it shows up a lot.

I'm a Japanese major as well as an illustrator, and I'm particularly interested in Japanese folklore. I really enjoyed the fox picture, and may do some other folklore-based images in the future.

Chris: Yeah, the Hobbit Tree was definitely an experiment in melding stylization (liiiiiines ) with a very realistic reference. It's something I'm definitely planning on exploring a bit more in the future (and the bird pictures are something of an extension of it as well) but haven't gotten to quite yet. I'm focusing on animal paintings right now, but I've got some other stuff in mind for Illustration, so I'll have to play with it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

FlameRaven's Art (Update 2/10)

A few new pieces

The first was a colored version of a coloring book lineart I did last fall. I did a bit of experimenting here, mixing brushes and techniques, and also playing around with colored lineart.

Here's the 'original' and the one with colored lines:

I haven't done much with colored lineart before so I'd definitely be interested in comments or feedback on which version you like better. Even though I was reluctant to push the piece, I do really like the colored lines.

And another watercolor:

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Viridis For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Beautiful use of colour, I can tell instantly that these images are being marketed towards children due to the colours chosen. (And I have to agree with you changing the colour of the lines, whilst the black lines give a cleaniness to the image, it doesn't work as well as having corresponding outlines) I also really like your master copy of the Ukiyo-e woodcut, lovely interpretation.

Yeah the Kitsune folklore is pretty interesting, there's also the part about them turning into beautiful women and marrying men, before without notice abandonning the family they've started. (Which is kind of sexist, if you interpret the social aspect. But it is interesting) The mythical creature that is probably equivalant to the Kitsune in European culture, is the early mythology of the Fairy (during the Celtic period), which were mischievious creatures or were even representations of the devil. (There was alot of grey area, on whether they were good or bad, which is similar to the Kitsune. Along with tales existing of humans marrying fairies and the fairy would abruptly abandon the family.)

My sketchbook, if you really want to see it...

"Picasso is a painter, so am I;... Picasso is Spanish, so am I; Picasso is a communist, neither am I." - Salvador Dali

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Beautiful colour great job,iloveit.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Not my favorite style, but you do these really well. I have a higher standard of excellence for styles that I don't favor, and you have met that standard. Great work!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    awesome watercolor works. i specially like the way you portray vegetation. if you don't mind me asking though, what combination do you use for skin tones?

Piranha Clan is offline Unscarred by trials...a new level... Level 6 Gladiator: Provocator
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm really enjoying these. Great, vibrant colors. Eye-catching. You should illustrate children's books.

Watch out for Piranhas

PIRANHA'S SKETCHBOOK

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Recent Works (Updated 9/11/09)

Thread necromancy!

I just realized I haven't updated this post in forever. The plus side to this, though, is that I have tons of pictures to show.

But first, replies (even if they're old):

@Piranha Thank you! Illustrating children's books is what I aim to do.

@Muscari For skin tones in watercolor it's usually burnt sienna+yellow ochre+some kind of red (maybe cadmium medium?) in very, VERY thin washes/glazes. With more burnt sienna and some purple washes for shadows.

@Kagemusha I love kitsune. They're definitely similar to Coyote in Native American folklore (the difference being Coyote was one creature and the kitsune are just a magical race of animals, much like tanuki), and you're right, leprechauns or fae are probably closest in European lore. Although European fairies are often outright malicious or dangerous, and Japanese creatures (like kitsune) often don't mean harm, they just can't help causing trouble.

I think I'll split updates into a few pieces so it's not quite as overwhelming.

First is the final two pieces I did in last semester's watercolor class:

"Matcha" (Green Tea)

"Jinja" (Shrine) -- This one is actually colored pencil+watercolor

Then we have a bunch of digital images, where I started painting without lines (scary!). I learned a lot, I have to say.

"A Helping Hand"

Two Tarot Cards:

"Sunshine and Earl Grey" (Self-portrait)

More in a day or so.

"The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the one doing it."

Got Art? My Website

My deviantART Gallery

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    These new ones are more like it (stylistically)! I'd love to see you do more in the style of the Shrine and the Helping Hand.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here's a few more digital images I did over the summer.

"Sunbathing Dragon"

"Kitsune Kasa"

"Kirin Contemplation"

"The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the one doing it."

Got Art? My Website

My deviantART Gallery

OmenSpirits is offline Commercial-Illustrator in-training, NOT an artist. Level 13 Gladiator: Retiarius
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,042 Times in 680 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Very pleasing, with internal silence to each piece that is subtle & interesting. love the shrine.

"Everything must serve the idea. The means used to convey the idea should be the simplest and clear. Just what is required. No extra images. To me this is a universal principle of art. Saying as much as possible with a minimum of means."
    -John Huston, Director

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.