Behemoth
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Behemoth

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Talking Behemoth

Waiting with cat-black-eyes for suggestions for corrections/improvements!

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Tonic; January 28th, 2009 at 06:25 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Janos is offline Fool me once shame on you. Fool me twice shame on Fu! Level 10 Gladiator: Equites
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I like it a lot. The trees and tombs look great and the creature concept is very original. I would definitley add colour perspective, like a blue film over the behemoth and clearer birds. The frontground gets lost really bad.
    Change that and its even better.

Cheers

Thanks
    Thanked 1,342 Times in 473 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    The only crit I would have is I'd like to see a little bit more of the blue light reflecting off of the "face". You have a *little* of it going on on the "eyes", but I think it could use a little pushing. For example, up on the "forehead" in the indentations and around the "lip" area.

(I put everything in quotes, because I'm not exactly sure if its supposed to be a creature or just some kind of structure, so hopefully you get what I mean).

Other than that, looks nice!

-D

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by DragonSnail View Post
    Awsome! Can't find anything to crit, I'm watching and learning!
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Janos View Post
    I like it a lot. The trees and tombs look great and the creature concept is very original. I would definitley add colour perspective, like a blue film over the behemoth and clearer birds. The frontground gets lost really bad.
    Change that and its even better.

Cheers
    Quote Originally Posted by Dusty View Post
    The only crit I would have is I'd like to see a little bit more of the blue light reflecting off of the "face". You have a *little* of it going on on the "eyes", but I think it could use a little pushing. For example, up on the "forehead" in the indentations and around the "lip" area.

(I put everything in quotes, because I'm not exactly sure if its supposed to be a creature or just some kind of structure, so hopefully you get what I mean).

Other than that, looks nice!

-D
    There my knowledge of lightning ends so I hardly know how to add light reflecting, but I will try. Thanks for suggestions!

The Behemoth is a bible monstrous beast, one of most powerful, compared with Leviathan and Ziz. These are creatures who rule land, water and sky accordingly.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I really like what you are doing with the atmosphere and light. and the composition is pretty cool. Except the man seems to be looking past the most interesting part which is that blue flowing face like thingy. I would suggest maybe tilting his head toward that or maybe have figures coming out from hiding or something on top of it. While I think you have some good textures in the piece I think it could have those textures varied just a little more because it feels like it is all blending together to me. Oh btw I also really like the color pallet you are using that is working really well.

Hope that helps.

Imagination is not a total internal power but rather it is a reflection and multi-faceted projection of our experiences and knowledge. We take in information from the world around us and intuitively re-order it into something new. Something is not created from nothing but simply transformed from what was before.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    There my knowledge of lightning ends so I hardly know how to add light reflecting, but I will try. Thanks for suggestions!
    Nah, you are taking my comment and making it more complex than it is. Even color picking that blue color you have and just painting a single stroke on the edges to show that the blue is hitting it will drive the point home.

I did a quickie paint over here to show my point. Just highlighting the edges and also get a little bit of "fill light" down near the mouth so it glows a bit.

Name:  po.jpg
Views: 734
Size:  58.8 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    can't find anything to crits, but yes except the lighting around it's mouth should be a bit bluer, but perhaps i don't really understand the structure of the tree that little guy is standing on,

otherwise, it's already awesome

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Very cool, its a nice concept.
    I might want to set the background apart from the big creature to help with depth and separation. They seem to have a little too similar of colors.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Ito Saith Webb View Post
    I really like what you are doing with the atmosphere and light. and the composition is pretty cool. Except the man seems to be looking past the most interesting part which is that blue flowing face like thingy. I would suggest maybe tilting his head toward that or maybe have figures coming out from hiding or something on top of it. While I think you have some good textures in the piece I think it could have those textures varied just a little more because it feels like it is all blending together to me. Oh btw I also really like the color pallet you are using that is working really well.

Hope that helps.
    Hey, the comment about the man and blending textures are plausible, and I agree too. I've added more minor forms (cracked and "fish" scales on left and right side of beast head). As I get idea for man, I will change it, too

Quote Originally Posted by Dusty View Post
    Nah, you are taking my comment and making it more complex than it is. Even color picking that blue color you have and just painting a single stroke on the edges to show that the blue is hitting it will drive the point home.

I did a quickie paint over here to show my point. Just highlighting the edges and also get a little bit of "fill light" down near the mouth so it glows a bit.
    Nah, probably I would do something, but it was better to force you to show over paint. And it was worth - your example was looking better than I've imagined

Quote Originally Posted by perapera View Post
    can't find anything to crits, but yes except the lighting around it's mouth should be a bit bluer, but perhaps i don't really understand the structure of the tree that little guy is standing on,

otherwise, it's already awesome
    Yeah, there was critic for foreground before, so I've thought about it and that's what I got: - the shadow of foreground was a bit too dark and flat. The foreground area is about 1/8 of whole work, which is pretty significant. So, I have added some of horizontal area (a path maybe?), more rocks and grass. Now it looks better with more interesting form and variety.

Quote Originally Posted by Duman View Post
    Very cool, its a nice concept.
    I might want to set the background apart from the big creature to help with depth and separation. They seem to have a little too similar of colors.
    Hmm, that's hard, because making background more visible requires sacrificing the fog atmosphere. You're probably right with depth, but I think I prefer mood over depth. But, by the way, I felt trees and details on beast too visible, so I have softened them with low opacity Default and Soft Light layer. Now, not only it gives more fog atmoshpere but it's also easier to focus on monster head.

Name:  wip13.jpg
Views: 656
Size:  296.1 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It's much better, i love the new cracks on the earth you add, the birds also more visible, nice! (i didn't notice the birds on the 1st one) keep up the great work!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thumbs up

Well, this is my first critique so here goes. I think you need more contrast for the foreground where the head is, to bring it forward and add more zing to it. There is a battle for attention between the skull and the background which is very pale. Since the skull is probably more important, give that area more definition. Maybe with lighter strokes in the blue.

Apart from that, very beautiful composition, unusual decor with interesting textures and idea.

Keep up the good work!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi

Really nice work i have also nothing to critisize.

Greetings Lhiya

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Excellent image, Tonic.
    Perhaps a little cropping of the top and left side would create more focus. Also, maybe a bit more greenish on the foreground (bottom-left) and forest (top right)?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think the main question is: What is the concept?

If it's a behemoth made of the surrounding materials or such, rising from the ground, why are there not bits and pieces of the ground falling down.

Is the attention of it focused on the figure to the left side of the painting?

If so, why is it not looking at him?

Is he standing on the hand of the creature?

If so, shouldn't the hand be larger and more hand like?

I think there is too much time given to the cool brushes and nice colours but not enough time given to the actual concept of the piece and what you are trying to convey.

Work darn you, WORK! *cracks artistic whip*!

My sketches: http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=148856

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Is a nice piece.. I just feel a lack of movement.. I don't get clear if the behemoth is rising or long time sleep..

The colours and mood are really nice. In that part I'm, as DragonSnail said, only watching and learning

気計 - Quike
    "Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift. That is why it is called the present.."

The Spaniard's Sketchbook... No holds barred

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Maybe a weird thing but although the the sense of atmosphere is there but it lacks depth. There are no real shadows and it seems to be on the same plain. I miss the sensation of something enormous coming from the ground, or lying there dormant to torment human kind once again the sings are given.

Colorwise I would say you took the safe road. This means that the colors bland and not really that exiting. Experiment with a little touch of white or black to make things stand out. Also make the light interact with the surroundings. That will really make a difference. More shades of blue for instance in the monsters head. Let it be bright where the light source begins for example.

I would also advice to make it to be in a grey scale to judge the values a bit. Now they are a bit to uniform.

Then again, I might be totally wrong,

Greets and keep drawing,

Writerof

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    If the blue stuff produces light, it should shine more out of his head. Try to use your hand to envelope the light of your bedroom.
    There's light coming out right?
    Thats what I mean

Just like the in the eyes, but in he's forehead.

The background is awesome. Nothing to say!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by perapera View Post
    It's much better, i love the new cracks on the earth you add, the birds also more visible, nice! (i didn't notice the birds on the 1st one) keep up the great work!
    Hehe, so it was worth to lighten up the birds

Quote Originally Posted by Mysthral
    Well, this is my first critique so here goes. I think you need more contrast for the foreground where the head is, to bring it forward and add more zing to it. There is a battle for attention between the skull and the background which is very pale. Since the skull is probably more important, give that area more definition. Maybe with lighter strokes in the blue.

Apart from that, very beautiful composition, unusual decor with interesting textures and idea.

Keep up the good work!
    Since I'm working with it for few hours, I'm a bit "blinded". I've flipped by work horizontally to refresh myself for a moment and you're probably right with two areas battling for viewers' attention. I will try to do something. Maybe more head details, perhaps shining "veins" like it was done with Dark Prince from Prince of Persia trilogy. Maybe blurring deeper areas (I've learned how to make it precisely - you duplicate the whole work to one layer, then enable blurry filter. Next, with low-opacity airbrush eraser you erase areas that have to be sharp. But at first time it didn't look well, so I will try with other methods). We will see

Quote Originally Posted by GimpPainter View Post
    Hi

Really nice work i have also nothing to critisize.

Greetings Lhiya
    Hey, thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Furitsu View Post
    Excellent image, Tonic.
    Perhaps a little cropping of the top and left side would create more focus. Also, maybe a bit more greenish on the foreground (bottom-left) and forest (top right)?
    Yeah, I will add few colours. It should look better. I've experimented with cropping and I couldn't tell if I was gaining something. I think I need to rest a bit and refresh, then do again.

Quote Originally Posted by indigartistic View Post
    I think the main question is: What is the concept?

If it's a behemoth made of the surrounding materials or such, rising from the ground, why are there not bits and pieces of the ground falling down.

Is the attention of it focused on the figure to the left side of the painting?

If so, why is it not looking at him?

Is he standing on the hand of the creature?

If so, shouldn't the hand be larger and more hand like?

I think there is too much time given to the cool brushes and nice colours but not enough time given to the actual concept of the piece and what you are trying to convey.
    Hey, thanks so much for comments! A lot of interesting questions. So, my anwers are:

The theme is Behemoth. According to brief, it had to be a gigantic monster made with earth elements, like trees, rocks and many things. The two main conditions are: make sure that viewer can feel its' gigantic size and can see how it's structured. Then I thought it's good idea to use bird or frog perspective to emphasize the size and use a human to give the scale. The fog atmosphere had to give not only the mood, but also give viewer impression that the beast's size is nearly impossible to measure with human eyes.

I didn't thought about movements. Since Behemoth is a monster with height comparable to big skyscrapers, you can't expect from him to manoeuvre like as fawn Bambi, right? So I focused on its' size, not what he does. As I look at it, I think it's moving very, very slowly. But that's probably caused by the fact I put in my mind this information. You're seeing it first time, so I guess you're right. Since it's big, it doesn't bother about small fry like a human standing on left side. Even it barely sees him In the end, I've tried to make beast looking to bottom right side.

The human is standing on mountain ledge. Are you suggesting that the ledge has is too much common with beasts' structure, causing uncertainty whether this is a hand or something different?

With cool brushes and nice colours you're again right. Since I have a tablet for few months, I focused on painting and compositing skills. Just a few weeks ago I thought it's about to stop a bit with it and put more thoughts into work.

Quote Originally Posted by Quikenobi View Post
    Is a nice piece.. I just feel a lack of movement.. I don't get clear if the behemoth is rising or long time sleep..

The colours and mood are really nice. In that part I'm, as DragonSnail said, only watching and learning
    Thanks! indigartistic also asked about its' movements and you're confirming that probably most people hardly guess what the beast does. But, as I have said, it's really big and moves slowly, so I have feeling that flying rocks and dust would look a bit weird. It would better if legs were visible, as they can show monster pose and movements. But, oh well, with that composition it's rather impossible :/

Quote Originally Posted by Writerof View Post
    Maybe a weird thing but although the the sense of atmosphere is there but it lacks depth. There are no real shadows and it seems to be on the same plain. I miss the sensation of something enormous coming from the ground, or lying there dormant to torment human kind once again the sings are given.

Colorwise I would say you took the safe road. This means that the colors bland and not really that exiting. Experiment with a little touch of white or black to make things stand out. Also make the light interact with the surroundings. That will really make a difference. More shades of blue for instance in the monsters head. Let it be bright where the light source begins for example.

I would also advice to make it to be in a grey scale to judge the values a bit. Now they are a bit to uniform.

Then again, I might be totally wrong,

Greets and keep drawing,

Writerof
    Uh oh, now things are getting pretty harder You said colours didn't suit your taste, so what would you suggest? What things need to stand out?

Thanks a lot! The greyscale is a great idea, so I've attached a black-white version. Now what do you think?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    DUDE awesome job! The only things that I can say that will make this look EVEN SICKER is to make the center of that blue stuff even brighter!!! Also add more and brighter highlights on the bones from the blue light. Wicked work bro, love it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ok I spoke too soon, it looks even sicker now LOL

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice revisions, man...looks great!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Very interesting. Even in greyscale, you can tell what is going on as you would in color.

Wonderful job.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The foreground looks like it's getting blended in with the background of where the behemoth is. I suggest lightening up the background behind the behemoth, behind the head, and also add darken up the nearest parts of the foreground so it will look like it's closer to you. Hope this will help!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I've redesigned it drastically. I've enlarged the canvas size from 2886x2250 px to 6278x4140 px and started to paint the whole Behemoths' body. That will be a helluva work!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Need more depth.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I always find it interesting how by changing the directional flow of a piece can change the mood from either negative to positive or vice versa. I like how you put the man in the lower right hand corner with the new pose. It feels like he is either be defiant or worshiping, and the directional line between then creates more of a connection. The whole glowing lake idea is really neat as well and while I know that you still have a lot more work to do I would suggest that in those real deep dark parts suggest glow highlights of either his body or of the rock but with some atmospheric perspective for added depth.

Imagination is not a total internal power but rather it is a reflection and multi-faceted projection of our experiences and knowledge. We take in information from the world around us and intuitively re-order it into something new. Something is not created from nothing but simply transformed from what was before.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Character needs a better stance... Either needs to be pushing right forawrd with strength in the legs or being forced back with the power of the behemoth..

Hope I helped even a little...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Ito Saith Webb View Post
    I always find it interesting how by changing the directional flow of a piece can change the mood from either negative to positive or vice versa. I like how you put the man in the lower right hand corner with the new pose. It feels like he is either be defiant or worshiping, and the directional line between then creates more of a connection. The whole glowing lake idea is really neat as well and while I know that you still have a lot more work to do I would suggest that in those real deep dark parts suggest glow highlights of either his body or of the rock but with some atmospheric perspective for added depth.
    Quote Originally Posted by erickcarjes View Post
    Need more depth.
    To be honest, I'm sick of Behemoth at this moment And I'm lost what to do next, especially with separating creature from background. It's messy, as the new areas weren't in the beginning (it's a different painting process than I'm used). I think I will place very large color blocks to simplify few areas and make rendering easier.

Quote Originally Posted by Justconner View Post
    Character needs a better stance... Either needs to be pushing right forawrd with strength in the legs or being forced back with the power of the behemoth..

Hope I helped even a little...
    I get the idea, it would surely add more dramatic feel!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    To be honest, I'm sick of Behemoth at this moment And I'm lost what to do next, especially with separating creature from background. It's messy, as the new areas weren't in the beginning (it's a different painting process than I'm used). I think I will place very large color blocks to simplify few areas and make rendering easier.
    Perfect, just place very large color blocks to simplify few areas and make rendering easier. Of course, if you want to

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.