Thanks

Line weights in portraits

I was wondering if anyone knew of any guides in line weight hierarchy when contouring or shading a face. Thanks for any advice.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,153 Times in 1,066 Posts
    If its a very refined and finished drawing then there would be no real lines, just edges. With edges you'd have sharp, crisp boundaries where there are highlights and soft, lost boundaries where there is shadow.

In a simple line drawing or study where lines are very apparent, you would probably choose the method you find to work best. In general there are three ways to go about it. One, your heavy lines are used simply for emphasis of the objects you want to stand out, say the focal point. Secondly you could use heavy lines in the shadow and thin lines in the highlighted areas. Then you could use lines as a measure of depth, things further from the picture frame having a different line weight than things in the foreground. These aren't steadfast rules obviously, and different styles can be mixed. It's really about what works best for the particular scene and what you are most comfortable with.
    "Astronomy offers an aesthetic indulgence not duplicated in any other field. This is not an academic or hypothetical attraction and should require no apologies, for the beauty to be found in the skies has been universally appreciated for unrecorded centuries."

4. The Following User Says Thank You to s.ketch For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Yeah I see what your saying. I'm kind of trying to draw in sort of a comic book graphic novel style so I guess I just have to study more examples.