Realms of Fantasy magazine NOT closing!!!!!!!!!
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Realms of Fantasy magazine NOT closing!!!!!!!!!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Smile Realms of Fantasy magazine NOT closing!!!!!!!!!

I just found out the news via a post over in the SCBWI forums, and it's confirmed on the Realms of Fantasy Magazine forums as well:

http://sfscope.com/2009/01/realms-of...y-closing.html

Breaking news: Realms of Fantasy is closing down following publication of its April 2009 issue. Managing Editor Laura Cleveland told SFScope the news came very suddenly, indeed, even Editor Shawna McCarthy (currently on vacation in Italy) hadn't been informed yet. The only reason we got the story is that rumors broke through the blogosphere today.

Cleveland said the April issue is currently at the printer, and will be published. The reasons she was given for the closure were plummeting newsstand sales. "Subscriptions are good, and advertising, until very recently, was fine." She blamed the economic downturn and newsstand distribution for the closure.

Publisher Sovereign Media first got into sf magazine publishing with Science Fiction Age, which Scott Edelman edited through its eight-year life. SFAge was closed while still profitable to make room for an even more profitable wrestling magazine. Realms of Fantasy has been with us for fifteen years and "was coming up on its 100th issue," Cleveland said. "We were excited about the special Halloween issue we'd been planning, which would have been our first."

The staff is obviously harried by the news, and that it's become public so quickly. Cleveland had been hoping to tell the authors and artists the news before it broke publicly. The magazine wasn't carrying a large inventory, she said, although she did note that they'd recently purchased a number of stories which now won't be published.

More news as we learn it.

Last edited by Elwell; March 10th, 2009 at 06:12 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Elwell is offline Sticks Like Grim Death Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,666 Times in 5,020 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    boo hiss

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

Crash Course for Artists, Illustrators, and Cartoonists, NYC, the 2013 Edition!

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow! That is a sad surprise.

Asatira is offline an amateur trying to figure things out Level 9 Gladiator: Hoplomachi
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nooooo! No nononononono no! I love that magazine, and now they're stopping it! Aaagghhh! One of my dreams was to get into that magazine as a writer. Crap!

"It's all about the triumph of intellect and romance, over brute force and cynicism." Craig Ferguson on Dr. Who
    sketchbook :: my dA gallery :: my art blog :: old sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    What's Realms of Fantasy?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by l33t fl33t View Post
    What's Realms of Fantasy?
    If you believe in Wikipedia, then --

Realms of Fantasy is a bimonthly fantasy magazine published by Sovereign Media which specializes in fantasy-related fiction, nonfiction, and art. The magazine has published short stories by some of the genre's most popular and most prominent authors.
    The ROF tagline put it more plainly: "The largest magazine in the world devoted to fantasy"

Locus magazine had a short post about the ROF shutdown, too:
    http://www.locusmag.com/News/2009/01...y-closing.html

t

Thanks
    Thanked 1,475 Times in 469 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    wow, that's shitty! and surprising!

"Every little step considered one at a time is not terribly daunting" - Ethan Coen

New books and process DVD available NOW!

www.dvpalumbo.com

Quickie blog (nudity)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Some updates on the RoF magazine closing...and a possible last minute buyer?

Different people react differently to death, and the death of Realms of Fantasy has elicited several different responses. The magazine's Assistant Editor, Douglas Cohen, gave us some historical perspective on the magazine, while one of the magazine's readers, Hannah Strom-Martin, offers a reader's hopeful outlook.
    Cohen writes: As you might imagine, I'm pretty bummed right now. But I guess I'm supposed to be. I really enjoyed my work. As to the historical aspects of RoF, if you include the upcoming and final April 2009 issue, we would have been 11 issues away from issue 100. Our 100th issue would've been the February 2011 issue. I brought this up to Shawna [McCarthy] a few months ago and suggested some things we might do to mark the occasion, such as resurrecting her old editorial column and the letters page for one issue. For the letters page, we were going to solicit "fan mail" from some of the successful writers RoF has produced over the years. It would've been nice.

Strom-Martin writes about a new Facebook group:
    Dear fellow fantasists and fantasy lovers,

As many of you know, the landmark magazine, Realms of Fantasy, has been scheduled to be shut down in April, 2009. Realms' website has already been closed and the world seems to be out one seriously cool and influential magazine—a place where many of our best fantasy writers and artists have found a home since the mag's inception in 1994.

This is a group made for and by members of the speculative fiction community (writers, artists, fan girls and boys of all ages—anyone who loves fantasy or spec-fic) in order to show our support for Realms and possibly reverse the decision to shut it down.

I am working with several other people on this and we should have more information and helpful links available shortly. For now the idea is to get together en mass to show our support and to discuss ideas for how to rescue Realms from the teeth of the recession.

The fantasy/spec-fic community is a huge and formidable network of established authors, up-and-coming writers, professional and aspiring artists and fans—and we are not without resources. Let's not let Realms go down without a fight.

More to follow.…

Hannah Strom-Martin
    Realms reader since 1994
    Link to "Save Realms of Fantasy Magazine" Facebook group:
    http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=45939074705

Following the announced shut-down of Realms of Fantasy magazine (see this article, where we first broke the news), rumors have been circulating that death might not be so permanent for the fifteen-year-old, full-size, full-color magazine. Sources indicate that there are up to a handful of bidders lining up to take over the magazine, though no details of the actual bids are available.

The magazine is owned by Sovereign Media, and Sovereign's head, Mark Hintz, told SFScope that the magazine has been profitable in every one of its fifteen years, including the most recent. The closure comes not, he said, due to business failings, but rather because of the economy and economic uncertainty about the future. He expressed the need to focus corporate efforts on their most profitable publications.
    Links to above articles:
    http://sfscope.com/2009/01/more-on-t...realms-of.html
    http://sfscope.com/2009/02/rumor-con...ng-realms.html

t

9. The Following User Says Thank You to tatiana For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,122 Times in 871 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I got this magazine subscription for free randomly. It's pretty poor in my opinion.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Jake Kobrin View Post
    I got this magazine subscription for free randomly. It's pretty poor in my opinion.
    What didn't you like about it? The art? The writing? It couldn't have been the cost since you were getting it for free.

If they do find a buyer, and you have specific suggestions that would improve the quality of the magazine since you are/were a reader (if not a subscriber), you should let them know! Although their forum and website has been taken down, you could probably post your ideas for improvement in the Facebook group I mentioned in the previous post.

t

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yeah the art, the writing, the layout, etc. The whole thing felt very amateurish to me.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Jake Kobrin View Post
    Yeah the art, the writing, the layout, etc. The whole thing felt very amateurish to me.
    Any magazine recommendations or examples for comparison? That focus on the same genre or somewhat similar, but that have a more professional feel in your opinion? And better artists/writers than the usual crowd in RoF?

t

Elwell is offline Sticks Like Grim Death Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Jake, not every magazine can be Kerrang!

Tristan Elwell

-John Cale

-Marc Maron

Asatira is offline an amateur trying to figure things out Level 9 Gladiator: Hoplomachi
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I liked most everything except the reviews. I loved the Folkroots column; great resource for starting to do research on various topics.

"It's all about the triumph of intellect and romance, over brute force and cynicism." Craig Ferguson on Dr. Who

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by tatiana View Post
    Any magazine recommendations or examples for comparison? That focus on the same genre or somewhat similar, but that have a more professional feel in your opinion? And better artists/writers than the usual crowd in RoF?

t
    I don't know because I don't really read any magazines other than Imagine FX. IFX is absolutely amazing though, all magazines pale in comparison.

Elwell: Kerang?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well, the topic is entirely different from Imagine FX, you can't expect a magazine publishing short stories to have similar content to one that gives art tips. It's like saying that Archie is better than Scientific American. I had a RoF subscription for about 6 years (1994-2000)and only droped it because of a lack of time. Since I never really watched tv, I guess that the internet ate my magazine reading time.

I really liked the artists interviews and folkroot the best but I also enjoyed thoroughly reading the short stories and some I still carry in my head to this day.

I'm really sad that the magazine had to stop like this but it's a sign of the times, less deadtree versions, more webzines. That also makes it harder on content providers since readers expect free content....

Thanks
    Thanked 1,475 Times in 469 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I don't know because I don't really read any magazines other than Imagine FX. IFX is absolutely amazing though, all magazines pale in comparison.
    I don't see how you can make a comparison. It'd be like saying Realms isn't good because I like Playboy, the content and intent are completely different

"Every little step considered one at a time is not terribly daunting" - Ethan Coen

New books and process DVD available NOW!

www.dvpalumbo.com

Quickie blog (nudity)

19. The Following User Says Thank You to DavePalumbo For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm not making quality comparisons, but as an alternative publisher in the same fantasy genre take a look at Black Gate.

David B. Clemons
    Website
    Blog

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I didn't start out by making comparisons. I just don't really like the magazine, god... It's like taste in food; if one doesn't like cilantro, you can't convince them to like cilantro!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Jake, when you make a comment like "It's pretty poor in my opinion" -- then that leads one to think that you've read a much better magazine that covers the same or similar topics.

It's simply of interest to someone who has read the RoF magazine fairly regularly what specifically you don't like about it...and if you can't be specific, then providing an example for comparison of a different but similar magazine that you think is excellent. Which also gives me an idea if you're part of the magazine's target audience, or not; and tells me how much merit your "pretty poor" comment holds.

That's why I asked for a recommendation for comparison.

Thanks!

t

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Damn.. I was hoping theyd become a regular client. I just sent them a mailer too.. FACK

www.callicuttart.com

Sketch

I am available for freelance work.

Irisia- A graphic novel

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Just got a message over on Facebook from the group "Save Realms of Fantasy magazine -- ROF has been bought!

Howdy folks,

Realms of Fantasy is not dead. It was just resting. The announcement reached my email a few minutes ago:
    Realms of Fantasy has been bought by Tir Na Nog Press and will continue to provide the fantasy and literary community with fabulous stories and artwork under the editorial direction of Shawna McCarthy.

Thanks to all of you for joining us in supporting the magazine. I know our efforts were appreciated by Shawna and Doug. For more information you can check out the relevant articles on Doug's Live Journal and SFScope.com (links have been provided on the Facebook page).

If you have yet to subscribe to Realms I highly recommend you do so now--and bring a friend! If you were already a subscriber you should also bring a friend! Print media is taking a beating these days. The only way fine mags like Realms will survive is if we continue to support them. We just took a big step in the right direction--now keep on trucking and subscribe!

A thousand thanks,

The Mods

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?ref...id=45939074705

25. The Following User Says Thank You to tatiana For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for the great news tatiana.

TIFFANY PROTHERO
    www.tprothero.com

Sketchbook Thread
    WIP Thread
    Finally Finished Thread
    __________________________________________________ ________________________________________
    SSG Gilded

Wertle : Snowsfall : redFIVE : Danomight : Interceptor : bengonzalez : Kittywolf13 : Poise

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yay!!!
    (Edited thread title.)

Tristan Elwell

-John Cale

-Marc Maron

Thanks
    Thanked 1,342 Times in 473 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    That's awesome, I'm glad they are back.
    Honestly, I haven't bought it in years but when I was a wee lad I would always go into the book store looking for examples of cool art and at that age (13-15) I didn't have a job or anything and art books were expensive. Magazines, however, were not...and I bought them as well as Dragon Magazine, and White Dwarf every chance I could get. So inspirational.

Jake, I think since you weren't around (being focused on art) in 1994, it's hard to relate how important this magazine was for some of us "old farts".

In 1994, there was no internet (well, it wasn't accessible to most anyway...certainly not mainstream), there was no Conceptart.org, there wasn't ANY art forums.
    Artists today are, pardon the term, a little spoiled with the wealth of information that is at the click of a button these days. When I was a teenager, there was magazines and books and that was it.

And this one was of the best for people that like fantastical paintings.
    For support, I'm gonna grab a subscription next check.

-D

Last edited by Dusty; March 10th, 2009 at 07:22 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I heard about this from the Facebook group. That is really great news. The magazine with the art and the stories and info I love.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.