Art: Form vs. Proportion

View testimonialsView Artwork
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Form vs. Proportion

Yo!

ok, this is something I did to really just convince myself that proportion is important erh, so this might not be very useful for everyone, but stil, i figured, why not..

it's 9 pics of daVinci's "man". the up-left man has both correct form and proportion. downwards means worse proportion, and rightwards means worse form.. well.. see for yourself and decide if proportion is important.. hehe..

seriously, i think this shows that even though the form might look like s**t - good proportion stil shows "through"! and this in turn means that all those sketchy drawings that i did way back then that look "wrong" is more about proportion than form.. erh.. again, not very interesting for you maybe..

Form vs. Proportion

Last edited by soul8o8; November 1st, 2005 at 11:49 AM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    If the way I understand it is right, you're saying that it's better to have say, correct proportioned (and in perspective) boxes, that look inhuman (inorganic) compared to some globby mess, that resembles a natural human.

I have to agree with this, but after you get the perspective and proportions correct - you can work on form yes? I mean it seems perspective is a basic need, form should build off of it.

Perhaps I misunderstood :/
    nice findings btw

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i think you are right

i think that both form and proportion is required for realisticaly looking results, but, i think my main point was that, although you sketch really fast and don't think about form you can stil see the proportional errors and they will affect the end result no matter how much effort you put down into the form later.. let's say in the pic above that we have three artists and they each start with a rough sketch each (on the far right) now as they progress and building up form the artist on the top will have a correct finished result because he started with good proportions whereas the bottom artist will end up with a terrible looking drawing, erh, of course all of them will probably correct these errors along the way.. anyway.. im not sure where im getting with this..

i just know that i have produced rough sketches very similar to the daVinci man on the bottom right, and i tought that it looked terrible because the form was simply wrong, but i've learned that even rough sketches contain proportions indeed.. ok, it's simply about seperating the two different notions form and proportion! so that one can say "well, this sketch looks really good!" or "no, no, no, this sketch is all wrong..", because i think most people (including myself) would not think that there is much difference between all the davinci mans on the far right in the pic above........ blah blah blah

hmm, i'm not saying anything specific about how to draw anything though, just wanted to clearly seperate form from proportion.. that's it..

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.