Head plus body or just head.

View testimonialsView Artwork
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Head plus body or just head.

Hallo. Sorry if this is 10001 thread about learning but i could not find answer to my question. I study human head at the moment. Nothing more. Sometimes it is so boring to draw just head but i could reach good level faster if i could fraw one subject at a time. I though that when i become better at drawing heads then will move to body anatomy. But maybe this is wrong way. I mean maybe i should draw everything at once? How do you draw?

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think you need to focus on the entire body, not just the head. By learning how to draw the body(shoulders and below), it will also help you draw the head. It's like trying to learn how to ride a bike, with just the front wheel. You learn how to ride a bike by getting on the entire bike and trying to move forward. Learn the entire figure, not just the head. You will not only save yourself time, but it will also probably become less boring.

I would do like a few head/skull/portrait studies. Then I would do anatomy studies of the rest of the body. Then once I got the basic construction down, I would move on to specific body parts, etc.

I'm just starting out too, so we're in the same boat. Good luck.

Don't forget to learn perspective and value..Do these things while studing anatomy also...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    learning about solely heads doesn't hurt, I think, but it's better to learn / try to do all sometimes. Using the bike analogue, I think it's just the same as keeping to draw the front wheel again and again and again....it can be boring sometimes.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for advise people. I appreciate that8)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Do whatever you like, there's no right way how to do it ..if you only want to draws heads 8 hours each day for 2 months and if you are able to do this and even enjoy it - do it.

I think that evenly and versatile growing is better thought, I always have the feeling that working on different subjects gives me more inspiration and that I don't get stuck in my same old ways.. it just feels more round.. you also don't start bodybuilding by just training your right arm.

You could do the whole anatomy thing with a weekly focus on one subject ("this week I try to learn all face muscles, but I also do caricatures, pose studies and I try to draw with charcoal").

Last edited by Kiera; January 27th, 2009 at 07:14 PM.
    I just took a break to post this.
    But sometimes I also draw stuff

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks Kiera. This is good idea to focuse on some body part every week but also study all anatomy. Good point.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.