Art: KU's Recent Work (Update:8Sept2009): Saint Claymore Zombie
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    KingUnicorn is offline Between the world of the seen and unseen... Level 6 Gladiator: Provocator
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

KU's Recent Work (Update:8Sept2009): Saint Claymore Zombie

It's been a while since I posted anything new, and I've decided to condense the upcoming work I have to share into a single thread.

I didn't end 2008 as productively as I'd hoped, so I spent December contemplating my direction and refocusing my energies to attack 2009 right out of the gate. This is my first piece from that period of reflection: A Son of Innsmouth - a work based on the writings of HP Lovecraft.

Materials: Super Sculpey/Sculpey III
    Height: Approx. 6 inches

Thanks for looking.

~KU

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by KingUnicorn; September 8th, 2009 at 05:33 PM. Reason: Saint Claymore Zombie Prop - Page 4
    ... a cry went up into the shuddering air, and faded to a shrill wailing, passing with the wind, a voice bodiless and thin that died, and was swallowed up, and was never heard again in that age of this world.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. The Following User Says Thank You to KingUnicorn For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow! I love all the detail, the tentacles on the chest are awesome! What did you use for the eyes? You have done Lovecraft proud and have kicked off '09 with a bang

4. The Following User Says Thank You to joshMonster For This Useful Post:

Bongsplat is offline Does what it say's on the tin! Level 6 Gladiator: Provocator
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    absolutely crackin!
    All the details are amazing,I agree about the Tentacles,they look fantastic.
    Looks really detailed for its size,Will you paint it?
    How did you make the buttons on his jacket, they look really crisp?

Very inspiring,Thx for posting

Earhole Bongsplat

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Bongsplat For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Please tell me, with talent such as yours you do this for a living.
    I'd be very envious if you were a hobbyist
    Amazing!

Put The Kettle On!
    My CA Thread:TM's Cave
    Visit Me:TeaMonsterUK.com
    Contact Me:info@teamonsteruk.com

8. The Following User Says Thank You to TeaMonster For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Lookssss great , Specia;ly the big eyes

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Conrad.R. For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Love this sculpture, looks amazing!! It would be great too see bigger images, detail photos above all (is it said "above all? xD)

Do you use to paint your sculptures? I'd like to see it painted too. All the details on the chest and head must be very funny to paint.

I'm new on here and I only knew of your very helpful crits on the rest of works, but now I know your skills too! Srry if I can't be as constructive as you

- Martí

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Nadarian For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Oh, my word! Just look at this gorgeous piece of work! You must not hear a thing that goes on around you when you make something this detailed and precise. It has to take tremendous concentration. The eyes are perfect, as well as the down turn of the mouth.

Love It!
    ~~Willow

14. The Following User Says Thank You to original willow For This Useful Post:

KingUnicorn is offline Between the world of the seen and unseen... Level 6 Gladiator: Provocator
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    joshMonster: Thanks for the comments. For the eyes, I used a pair of glass beads/stones you can find in any craft store/floral supply shop. Because they’re oblong and aren’t uniform, it does take a little time to find a pair that are of similar size and shape.

Bongsplat: There are a few concepts out there for the citizens of Innsmouth and I really didn’t want to just recreate another fishman/frogman. I have a love of mutation and transformation, so I approached this sculpture with the intention of creating something that was more than just clearly a man-fish or a man-frog. I wanted something bursting with the whole of the ocean.

I plan on having this cast, so I won’t have any painted pieces to show (other than a possible trip into CS2 for some color scheming) until that phase is complete.

The buttons were made using a combination of pre-cast jewelry spacers and my sculpey blend.

TeaMonster: Thanks for your kind words. Unfortunately, I’m still very much a hobbyist who takes on small projects here and there. However, I’ve toiled in quiet obscurity for long enough. This is my year (or so I believe), so hopefully I can report some personal and professional achievements by 2010.

Conrad.R.: Thanks for your comments. The big eyes were important to me. I wanted something large and unnatural looking.

Nadarian: Thanks for having a look. I do try to share helpful suggestions and provide constructive feedback when I think it’s useful. But I do recognize it’s hard to see where I’m coming from if you don’t have my own examples to review. I’m hoping that this thread will create a strong point of reference.

I think your response was constructive in its own way and I look forward to seeing more work from you in the future. I’ll pull some detail photos and post them up soon.

Original Willow: And thanks go out to you as well for your thoughts. I love detailing and am still working out some processes that will push my future projects in the right directions. I’m not someone who can work in quiet spaces, so I put on some good music and try to get in the rhythm of whatever’s playing.

As I didn’t want to stray too far from details of the story, I did start with a fishy foundation that led to the down-turned mouth. The Goliath grouper was my reference of choice.

~KU

... a cry went up into the shuddering air, and faded to a shrill wailing, passing with the wind, a voice bodiless and thin that died, and was swallowed up, and was never heard again in that age of this world.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to KingUnicorn For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I love how neat this is and the details are incredible! Is this still being worked on?

"I'm having a party you can't see"
    ~Patton Oswalt

"Endure not yet a breach, but an expansion, Like gold to airy thinness beat."
    A Valediction: Forbidding Mourning by John Donne

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Assemblit For This Useful Post:

OmenSpirits is offline Commercial-Illustrator in-training, NOT an artist. Level 13 Gladiator: Retiarius
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,042 Times in 680 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    holy SHNIKESSSSSSSS!!!!

Damn thing looks like its going to blink at me!

"Everything must serve the idea. The means used to convey the idea should be the simplest and clear. Just what is required. No extra images. To me this is a universal principle of art. Saying as much as possible with a minimum of means."
    -John Huston, Director

20. The Following User Says Thank You to OmenSpirits For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    That's awesome King!

22. The Following User Says Thank You to ManaBurn For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i love the design and details
    Great work

24. The Following User Says Thank You to giorgione For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Omen-S, ManaBurn, giorgione: Thanks for your comments and support.

Assemblit: Love the Patton Oswalt quote.

While the initial design and development phase is complete, there's still a bit more to do. Because of the level of detail, I'll have to carefully go back over the piece and fill in any gaps, cracks, or crevices that might cause sticking or bubbling in the mold. It'll take a bit of time, but - in the end - will offer a better final product.

I'm also working on a Dagon-inspired pedestal/base for this fellow to rest atop. I imagine a blending of something you'd find in your local aquarium supply shop and nightmares about drowning.

~KU

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by KingUnicorn View Post
    It's been a while since I posted anything new, and I've decided to condense the upcoming work I have to share into a single thread.

I didn't end 2008 as productively as I'd hoped, so I spent December contemplating my direction and refocusing my energies to attack 2009 right out of the gate. This is my first piece from that period of reflection: A Son of Innsmouth - a work based on the writings of HP Lovecraft.

Materials: Super Sculpey/Sculpey III
    Height: Approx. 6 inches

Thanks for looking.

~KU
    Hello Sir. Unicorn Brother Dude.. Well you certainly have made a success of attacking 2009 with a bang my friend. It's a wonderful sculpt, as you know I'm not as celever as you when it comes to giving constructive comments (however I always try, but your comments always sound better lol) I do enjoy seeing your sculpts, and there's always a 'feeling' that I get when seeing them, like I can imagine what they'd be like in the flesh, how they'd behave, how they'd smell, and how they'd even walk even. It's like you give it that much 'life' to them that you give them a very unique personality and strong character of their own. And this particular sculpt, I have to say is one of my favourites, you've really put your soul into this my friend. Beautifully done my friend!

Check out my scary monster thread!
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=109738

Want lotsa sculpture resources? Add some if you want to!
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=154013

27. The Following User Says Thank You to dreamsorcerer For This Useful Post:

Doggy is offline Doin´it for fun, hoping to get better... Level 4 Gladiator: Meridiani
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Man, this is great! Lovecraft´s writings are vague enough regarding the creatures to be up for a wide variety of enterpretations, but this is clearly a deep-one. And one of the more original and exciting ones i´ve seen

29. The Following User Says Thank You to Doggy For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yeah Patton Oswalt is just so funny.

Can't wait to see! Hmm not sure who Dagon is but sounds pretty cool.

"I'm having a party you can't see"
    ~Patton Oswalt

"Endure not yet a breach, but an expansion, Like gold to airy thinness beat."
    A Valediction: Forbidding Mourning by John Donne

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    D-Sorcerer: You, sir, are a wealth of movitvation in your own right and I find your comments as clever as anything I could hope to offer. I appreciate both your support and your feedback. It's my hope to keep creating pieces that have a life of their own - as if they represent things that could possibly exist in some other time or place beyond this world. I believe you and I are of the same mind in that regard.

Doggy: When you work up something based on a mythos that has been interpreted and copied for so many years, it's hard to find a place in the visual library that feels new. I'm pleased, as a Lovecraft fan, that you enjoy what I've created.

Assemblit: If you have a half-hour free in your day, you can check out the story here: Shadow Over Innsmouth... It's an interesting read.

~KU

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm not familiar with Innsmouth, but I think your sculpt perfectly capture the Lovecraftian horror. Grotesque in a deliciously beautiful way.

-Mike Cross

Sculpting Thread|My Website| DeviantArt |My Blog
    -Also on FB and Twitter

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Urban Pacification Organism: LONG PORK - Preview

In an effort to keep the momentum going, I've been working under a soft, two-week deadline for this series of busts on my project list. I'm going to miss my mark this week because there's a lot of tightening and external accents I need to prepare to finish this next piece. So, in the meantime, I thought I'd toss up a little preview of where I am with this bust: Urban Pacification Organism: LONG PORK...

Still a lot of refinement and detailing to go, but the general shape is in place.

M-Cross: I really appreciate your comments. You've certainly developed a clear voice that makes picking out your pieces almost instantaneous. There's a consistent handling of the clay that makes your work so recognizable.

~KU

maddmaestro is offline conqueror of small fruit and large vegetables Level 6 Gladiator: Provocator
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Awesome work once again KU! I always look forward to the peaks inside your twisted realities, and dreams! Thanks for sharing them with us! I love the way he looks as though he was just deformed, like his skin was just bubbling,and oozing into place. Awesome!

Maddmaestro

35. The Following User Says Thank You to maddmaestro For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Another awesome piece KU, and big props for giving yourself some
    deadlines. Even if you go over (which I do all the time), it really helps
    keep you disciplined. Like Kenshiro said, you've really exploded out
    of the gate this year and at this rate, I can't wait to see what you've
    got in store for us for the rest of the year.

LONG PORK looks fantastically bizarre and creepy. What are your
    plans with these busts? I'd be nice to see some kit producer pick
    them up from you. Anyway, awesome job once again dude.

Troy

http://www.themcdevittstudio.com
    --------------------------------------------------
    "It seems like once people grow up, they have no idea what's cool." - Calvin, Attack of the Deranged Mutant Killer Monster Snow Goons

37. The Following User Says Thank You to troyboy For This Useful Post:

Bongsplat is offline Does what it say's on the tin! Level 6 Gladiator: Provocator
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I love your vision's for these sculpts KU
    They are out there-but have a really realistic look thats believable,
    Which I love ,
    Always enjoy checking your thread

thx for sharing

Earhole Bongsplat

39. The Following User Says Thank You to Bongsplat For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Madd-M: Thank you, sir! And glad to see you back around here. You've been gone to long and we're in need of updates on your projects.

This guy's an awful mix of bubbly, fleshy bits and Giger-esque bone fragments (which make up the bulk of the back and neck area and aren't visible in this sample pic). I'm actually working up some hardware for him right now to give him some street cred (nutrient plugs, neural enhancers, metabolism stabilizers - all that pseudo-science stuff that makes reading speculative fiction so much fun...)

T-Boy: I've taken a lot of your advice to heart. Not only are you cutting your way through the sculpture world, but you're also leaving a trail of important tips and suggestions for anyone to pick up, examine, and follow suit. I'd be nowhere near where I am right now without the help of artists like yourself.

I'm hoping to have a few busts produced this year. As much as I'd love to see a producer pick one or two up and run with them, I'm prepared to kit them myself and push them out into the world on my own.

Bongsplat: Thanks for your comments. I do want things to have a certain realism to them. And I'm pushing to improve the design elements and details that add to that realism. Well, as much as a bubbling, fleshy product of mad science can have a sense of realism!

Thanks again all!

~KU

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I was about to ask if you could send along any extra strips of bacon, but reading what you have in store to garnish this porky fellow...I don't think I'd want that taste in my mouth.

A creepy onset, with an eerie aftertaste.

But cooked in a skillet of focused energy and vision. I really like the motion and shape you gave on down the torso area, doesn't look so static, like a lot of busts tend to. I can't wait to see the itty bitty accents!

42. The Following User Says Thank You to Wiggins For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Master. KingUnicorn Dude,

There is so much character in every piece you do, it's astounding. THis particular dude looks like he's in pain, with such a horrid 'skin/flesh' disorder going on. He reminds me a little like the elephant man, but a much more alien/mutated version. Don't get me wrong bro, I mean that as an absolute compliment. I look at your sculpts and think, 'how the bloody hell does he make his sculpts come alive like that?' You're really pushing out the boundaries, and it shows very well. (I've probably said all that before lol)

Oh and I love the names you give your characters. Well, actually even if you called dude, 'Brian' or 'Fred' I'd still love it!

All the best bro,

Kenny!!!!!!!!!!

Check out my scary monster thread!
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=109738

Want lotsa sculpture resources? Add some if you want to!
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=154013

44. The Following User Says Thank You to dreamsorcerer For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wiggins: You are right, sir. This is not something you'd want served with your Grand Slam Breakfast or Rooty Tooty Fresh and Fruity. Thanks for noticing the torso. I'm really trying to avoid focusing on the head. A few busts I've seen (particularly in my primary interest group) seem to put all of the energy into the head. Certainly the head/face is one of the focus elements of a bust, but I want there to be more to it than that without overpowering the key features.

D-Sorcerer: There is a little Elephant Man in there. Also a little Mason Verger (from the Silence of the Lambs sequel Hannibal) and the butchers from the grim dungeon kitchen in the film Legend.

As for the names: They just seem to develop with the characters. I'm certain I have a Jerry or a Fred bumping around in my head that might creep out one day. Of course, the ones that sound the most common and everyday are the ones that are really scary.

Thanks again for having a look. I'll have an update here shortly with all sorts of technological mayhem.

~KU

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i think any Jerry or fred you come up with would be all the more terrifying.. just knowing that they've come from your mind would have me worried about their strangley calm exterior....

glad you posted this latest creation, its stopped me looking at the tentacles coming out of the other guys chest, there's something about the wriggly slimey organic elements next to the nice crisp jacket lapels that freaks me out, and i mean all of this as a compliment!

47. The Following User Says Thank You to DMN Creative For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here's another small update: I'm working out a specific design for the shoulder armor for this guy and had to place an order for supplies that won't arrive until mid-week next week. So, for the time being, I thought I'd share some texture work and "cybernetic" attachments.

There's still a lot more work that has to be done. Lots of refinements and smoothing that I'll hold off on until I've finished and mounted the shoulder pieces (and a few more biomechanical bits).

DMN-C: Compliment taken. I'm seriously thinking about taking on the challenge of creating a character entirely around a very common name. I think "Fred" is the winner here.

~KU

Last edited by KingUnicorn; February 15th, 2009 at 01:11 AM.

Doggy is offline Doin´it for fun, hoping to get better... Level 4 Gladiator: Meridiani
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Oh man, this one is gnarly! The stitching is great, and the texture is coming along nicely.
    Can´t wait to see more!

50. The Following User Says Thank You to Doggy For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I love all the work you put in on the Son of Innsmouth sculpture...are you going to paint it...seems like tons of possibilities!

52. The Following User Says Thank You to EvanCampbell For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.