Sketchbook: Philomathes' sketchbook

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Philomathes' sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Philomathes' sketchbook

Hey,

First a little about me:
    I used to draw all the time when I was a little kid. I took a drawing class or two outside of school. I took a few art classes in high school and basically drew whatever I felt like and blew off the rubric. I developed other interests. Too many other interests, in fact. Went to college and majored in something I ended up not enjoying. After a relative suggested I consider a job in illustration I started drawing again.

At the moment my dedication to improving my artistic skills is admittedly weak and it shows. If I ever find my portfolio from High School I'll be able to post some more interesting material.

Until then here are some copies from Bridgman and a few of my half-a$$ed doodles:

Philomathes' sketchbook
    Philomathes' sketchbook
    Philomathes' sketchbook
    Philomathes' sketchbook
    Philomathes' sketchbook
    Philomathes' sketchbook
    Philomathes' sketchbook
    Philomathes' sketchbook

Last edited by Philomathes; July 21st, 2011 at 03:44 AM. Reason: Grammar
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice studies ! Keep drawing!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to theUNKNOWNsketcher For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Another relatively old copy from Bridgman Philomathes' sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Some more interesting stuff

I apologize in advance for this picture if it is in anyway in violation of the rules. I drew this about 7 years ago and now see it as a bit tasteless and sophomoric. But I still enjoy the concept behind it and the composition, if it is even worthy of being discussed in such terms.

This is a scan of a copy of the original image (which, as you can see, I never finished) so the color is a little off.

My intention was to show a confrontation between some late Migration Period warriors and a Grendel-like creature.

Oh well

Philomathes' sketchbook

Last edited by Philomathes; March 11th, 2009 at 10:33 PM. Reason: clarification

Thanks
    Thanked 5,791 Times in 1,165 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for viewing my sketchbook, mate. Thought I would return the favour.

You got some really great studies, you seem to have gotten the proportions real good. That viking headsmasher drawing is just fucking awesome! But the guy holding the hammer doesn't really look like he just knocked someones head off, the pose is a bit too calm for being a pose where such a swing takes place.

Keep it up!

"I wish to paint in such a manner as if I were photographing dreams" - Zdzislaw Beksinski
    My Happy Little Sketchbook, please check it out and help me get better!

My TUMBLR!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to LORD M For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Merovingians

Merovingian chieftain and his retainers, 5th century A.D. I am still working on it. Hope to finish it with prismacolor markers and colored pencil. Sorry for the poor quality of the photo.

Attached Images Attached Images  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

updated sketch

Sorry I couldn't fit the whole image on the scanner. I hope to be done with this sketch in a few days.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

last days of Roman empire

Once again the margins are cut off by the inadequate size of the scanner.

Anyway this a scene of a 5th century Frankish chieftain and his followers consulting a defector Roman limitaneus (border patrol) officer, after attacking a watch tower somewhere along the middle Rhine. His indignant subordinate is bound and being lead down the path toward him. The chieftain and general are plotting the next raid on a Roman settlement.

Last edited by Philomathes; August 2nd, 2011 at 02:49 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Vikings in Constantinople

This a drawing I made this Spring of some Vikings in mid to late 11th century Constantinople. The figure in the foreground is a Varangian guardsman. (Harald Hardrada, perhaps?) (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Varangians#Varangian_Guard). The figures in the boat may be merchants or mercenaries. Given the Viking reputation they probably are little of both.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Athenian Hoplite

An Athenian hoplite (heavy infantryman) of the 5th century BC, during the Persian and Peloponnesian Wars. Once again sorry for the poor quality of the scan. I hope to color it in in a few days using markers ad colored pencil and have ordered a bamboo pen and touch tablet that I hope to use begin to enliven some of these pieces in my thread.

Last edited by Philomathes; July 19th, 2011 at 09:31 PM. Reason: bad order

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Color!

This is the first time in many years since I've attempted anything in color. I did this with art markers and colored pencil, with a bit of tweaking on photoshop. I got my tablet and am trying to get the hang of things. I have to say that the original copy looks better. The colors on this version just don't look quite right even after attempting to adjust them on photoshop.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Athenian Hoplite updated

Should be finished soon. Scan quality still doesn't do justice to the original, quite honestly.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Greek warrior

This More or less finished. I plan to send this to some publishing companies. I would very much appreciate some comments and critiques.

Thanks,

Philomathes

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here's the final version of the 5th Century Frankish warriors... I may color it in some day. I'd love to get some comments and critiques.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Dacian Wars

Roman Legionary of the Dacian Wars under the emperor Trajan, early 2nd century AD.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Your 'sketches' have a real 'historical illustration' feel to them, reminiscent of Victor Ambrus - they also remind me somewhat of Charles Keeping (check out his 'highwayman' and 'beowulf' illustrations in particular - and if you don't know victor ambrus, his work is really worth looking at).
    Your 'static' compositions are really good - I particularly like the Frankish Warriors - the 'action' scenes - as was mentioned about the chap with the big hammer - may benefit from a bit more punch. The Roman, for example, is well rendered, but doesn't quite look like he deserves to be covered in all that blood . Peter Dennis, who does all the covers for Warlord Games and Perry Miniatures, does a very good roman in a similar 'old fashioned' style to yours, check him out too.

Keep it up matey - nice to see something different from fantasy/sci-fi for a change

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Phil Moss For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Your 'sketches' have a real 'historical illustration' feel to them, reminiscent of Victor Ambrus - they also remind me somewhat of Charles Keeping (check out his 'highwayman' and 'beowulf' illustrations in particular - and if you don't know victor ambrus, his work is really worth looking at).
    Phil,

I appreciate your response. I'm glad to hear that you like the historical illustration look. That's what I'm going for. I have long admired Victor Ambrus's work. I have a couple of his books which feature sketches from Time Team. His vivid imagination is an inspiration to me. I recall seeing some of Charles Keeping's Beowulf sketches years ago when I was fairly obsessed with Beowulf. Looking at his work again, I like the grim atmosphere and grittiness of many of his illustrations, but I have to say that I do strive to make my linework more subtle than what I see in his illustrations. I have always been a bit heavy-handed with my lines and I endeavor to improve my use of shading etc to convey dimension, form and mass. Daniel C, in as much as he is able to economize his use of shading, combined with minimal line work, has been an inspiration to me in this regard.
    Your 'static' compositions are really good - I particularly like the Frankish Warriors - the 'action' scenes - as was mentioned about the chap with the big hammer - may benefit from a bit more punch. The Roman, for example, is well rendered, but doesn't quite look like he deserves to be covered in all that blood .
    Thank you. I am pretty satisfied with the composition of the Frankish Warriors pic. I wanted it to have an 'epic' feel to it reminiscent of Academic paintings of historical subjects. In the thread where I show the completed legionary I mentioned that I am going to make this part of a larger battle scene which I have sketched already. http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...hp?t=228408The amount of blood on this fellow will probably make more sense when you see what is happening around him.

Peter Dennis, who does all the covers for Warlord Games and Perry Miniatures, does a very good roman in a similar 'old fashioned' style to yours, check him out too.

Keep it up matey - nice to see something different from fantasy/sci-fi for a change
    Yes, I have Osprey's Teutoburg Forest AD 9 which he illustrated. Very well done. You can see how much the reconstructions of equipment by reenactment groups and scholars like Graham Sumner are enabling historical illustrators to create more and more realistic and accurate depictions of specific eras of the Roman army and other ancient militaries.

And I agree, I'm amazed how few and far between historical illustrators are. I would think that even Concept Art would have more due to games like the Total War series etc. I would be thrilled to see just a few of the immensely talented fantasy/scifi artists do more historical subjects. It's just as exciting i.m.o. and it has the benefit of being based in REALITY!

BTW your stuff is pretty damn impressive for someone your age. I see on your cg hub profile that your a year younger than me. I would be delighted to see some more of your work in historical subjects! Ever think about illustrating some Osprey books etc?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks - I've a long way to go, but the work is steadily improving - I hope! I did chat with a few guys from Osprey about two years ago - obviously though I was two years younger and my work was two years worse! More importantly I was working mainly in monotone then, and their response was "we don't commission B&W art" - it's amazing how narrow minded art directors can be
    Since then I haven't followed it up - I hear nothing but horror stories from artists who've done Osprey work, but I may look into it in the future. I've made a big effort this year to avoid historical illustration after I'd done pretty much just that since leaving college, but I have had an inclination to go back to the English Civil War, so you never know - especially when art like this exists

I try my hardest to not let 'age' matter - almost every time I've gone for a commission they've expected someone older - my favourite was when I was asked to meet a chap in a pub about doing a Warhammer Historical job, despite me being one of the only people there and with a huge art folder/sketchbooks/tools out on the table, the guy took a while looking around the room before finally realising that I was the 'historical artist' for some people they get over it, for others they can't deal with it and treat you like crap, but hey ho - I'm more interested in my art being good

Anyway, keep up the good work - I'll look forward to seeing the rest of that Roman piece!

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Phil Moss For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Since then I haven't followed it up - I hear nothing but horror stories from artists who've done Osprey work, but I may look into it in the future. I've made a big effort this year to avoid historical illustration after I'd done pretty much just that since leaving college, but I have had an inclination to go back to the English Civil War, so you never know - especially when art like this exists
    Yea the Cossack piece is a classic. Your English Civil War material is very nice and I appreciate the realism. Romanticism has it's place but I like a good dose of 'verisimilitude' in most historical illustrations and I think you capture that well.

I try my hardest to not let 'age' matter - almost every time I've gone for a commission they've expected someone older - my favourite was when I was asked to meet a chap in a pub about doing a Warhammer Historical job, despite me being one of the only people there and with a huge art folder/sketchbooks/tools out on the table, the guy took a while looking around the room before finally realising that I was the 'historical artist' for some people they get over it, for others they can't deal with it and treat you like crap, but hey ho - I'm more interested in my art being good
    That would be a little irritating but hopefully credit is given where credit is due, in the end.

Anyway, keep up the good work - I'll look forward to seeing the rest of that Roman piece!
    I think I will have it finished in 3 to 5 weeks. I have to admit I am kind of a slow worker but it should go fairly smoothly as most of the research on equipment etc is done.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Legionaries vs. Dacians

A sketch for a battle scene between Roman legionaries and Dacians, the native people of what is now Romania.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

so much for the reinforced helmet.

Background figures:
    Sometime during the Dacian Wars the legionaries' helmets were reinforced with an iron cross-brace to protect the wearer from the devastating power of the falx sword used by the warriors of Dacia, modern Romania. I guess the cross-brace of this guy's helmet was improperly tempered by the black smith.

Last edited by Philomathes; October 6th, 2011 at 12:59 AM. Reason: spacing

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Learning digital painting on Photoshop. Here's a grayscale sketch of a Migration Period Alemannic Warrior. I will begin adding color and more details today. Name:  Alemannic warrior copy.jpg
Views: 74
Size:  583.3 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks