Thanks

A question about the community

So I'm 15, and really trying to get into art, I love it, yet lack the natural born talent some have. A teacher came in last week talking about photography, and art, and really motivated me to come and give it a try again. I'm always 'trying' to doodle, sketch, but I know nothing about where to start.

I try to understand simple things; perspective, just drawing cubes and such, and even then nothing comes out right, so I'm trying to figure out where to get the most 'help'. Should I just start sketching anything, even if its horrible and post it in a sketchbook? I know these posts probably come often from others, but I'm really dying to grasp my artistic side..

thanks, aaron

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Some people may pick up drawing and painting quicker than others, but no matter what, it takes several years to learn. Some of your peers may have been drawing more than you have as well, so don't feel discouraged. It's not a race. We all started out scriblling with crayons.

Should I just start sketching anything, even if its horrible and post it in a sketchbook?
    Yes! Draw anything that you find interesting, study anatomy, go to life drawing, doodle, study up on art history, learn about colour theory, take some classes. You have to start somewhere. I'd say life drawing is the best eye training available and I'd suggest going as often as you can if it's available where you are. Try to avoid doodling too much when you're learning. You learn much more from studies and drawing from life. I should talk... :p

Listen to what people have to say on this forum. It's one of the most valuable sources of information on the web.

Thanks
    Well I'm a sophomore in Highschool, so I don't believe there are many classes I can take. Next year I plan on taking Drawing and Painting, but there really isn't much :/

I'll start tomorrow, and post whenever I have the time
    thanks

Thanks
    'Talent' is really focused effort and hard work. Some people may have a more innate sense of spacial relationships and how not to let the brain interfere with what the eye actually sees, but it can be learned.

If you hang out for a while, you'll notice the people that crow to the heavens about having 'inborn talent' or a 'gift' are not that good.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MiniGoth View Post
    'Talent' is really focused effort and hard work.
    I thinl its more like a propensity to focus effort and hard work in certain areas. Also there are certain things people are naturally born with. For example someone who has strong eyesight and a steady hand will probably have natural talent when it comes to marksmanship. Likewise I wouldn't be surprised if there were natural traits that would foster talent in an artist.

I agree though that any lack of natural talent can be overcome with practice and hard work.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Peter Coene For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    AmPed, it seems you're in a similar position as I am. In any case, I hope the information I'm going to share with you will be useful, but do take it with a grain of salt - I can't vouch for its total accuracy.

From what I've learned, painting/illustration is a combination of two things - fine motor skills and art knowledge. Now, of the two, I believe the motor skills to be the harder but knowledge the more expansive.

I'd also like to point out that when it comes to fine motor skills, drawing on paper and on a tablet are NOT the same and both require separate learning - in other words - being good with one doesn't necessarily make you good with the other, but I assume that it would make it easier for you to learn the other.

As far as art knowledge goes, most of the books/videos I've seen gave the impression that it's very chaotic and disorganized and thus rather unfriendly to a beginner unless you know specifically what you're looking for. I would like to point out one bit of information that really changed the way I look on art - the relation between shape, light and shadow - perhaps some of the more experienced members would be kind enough to explain that in more detail.

EDIT:
    Oh yes, almost forgot - I suggest visiting a therapeutic professional and asking them on ways for improving fine motor skills. They tend to deal with problems in that sphere and may have some useful bit of information.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,192 Times in 516 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Coene View Post
    I thinl its more like a propensity to focus effort and hard work in certain areas. Also there are certain things people are naturally born with. For example someone who has strong eyesight and a steady hand will probably have natural talent when it comes to marksmanship. Likewise I wouldn't be surprised if there were natural traits that would foster talent in an artist.

I agree though that any lack of natural talent can be overcome with practice and hard work.
    I would listen to Peter, the guy's a professional you know.

Thanks
    I would say the first thing you should do to develop your observation is blind contour drawing. You need to learn how to look and see what it is you're drawing and be able to successfully put that down on paper before you start getting into anything else. Trying to draw things from your head at this point might make you frustrated. I wouldn't even think about colour until you are comfortable with drawing first.
    Keep a sketchbook and start doing this as much as you can - make a sketchbook thread here too for support from others.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,262 Times in 2,074 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AmPed View Post
    So I'm 15, and really trying to get into art, I love it, yet lack the natural born talent some have.
    http://painting.about.com/od/product...t_and_Fear.htm

”Artmaking involves skills that can be learned. The conventional wisdom here is that while ‘craft’ can be taught, ‘art’ remains a magical gift bestowed only by the gods. Not so.” Art and Fear, page 3.

”Even talent is rarely indistinguishable, over the long run, from perseverance and lots of hard work.” Art and Fear, page 3.

”The function of the overwhelming majority of your artwork is simply to teach you how to make the small fraction of your artwork that soars.” Art and Fear, page 5.

It's a good book, that will help you on your journey.

Thanks
    AmPed Their are tons of examples of others in the same position in the sketch threads and if you look at the long established sketchbooks most of them kind of sucked in the beginning and now their completly amazing because their workin hard to get better

the only advice i can give is to just draw from life as much as possible
    and if your school dose not suit your needs make it.

O and Arshes Art and Fear was a great read i need to borrow it again only skimmed the first time
    -Demo-
    -Sketch Book Updated Sporadically-
    My Blog
    Tumbler & Wookmark (finished pieces and Cool stuff I find)
    -Facebook(always on but never post)-

If you see me on FB, or CA Talk to me, never to busy to talk and love to hear from you, chat me up about anything (Music, Games, art, ect)
    If anyone is interested in streams or hangouts let me know!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 674 Posts
    If you can't decide what to draw, or you want to have some structured exercises then you can always lurk around in some threads like the Peer Project by Idiot Apathy or some mentoring subforum threads. Don't put your drawings in those threads unless you've been invited. Instead put them in your sketchbook. It may take a while before a lot of people post comments in your sketchbook, so when you make a drawing that you think is pretty good, put it in the Critique Center where people are supposed to help you out making the drawing better.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,049 Times in 686 Posts
    I used to draw during class. I started at age 16.

I still have those pictures........

BOY DID I REALLY SUCK!

Now, I suck a little less. <---Not insane about it, but still critical of his progress.
    "Everything must serve the idea. The means used to convey the idea should be the simplest and clear. Just what is required. No extra images. To me this is a universal principle of art. Saying as much as possible with a minimum of means."
    -John Huston, Director

Thanks
    Ok, So I'm looking all around but I can't find anything to draw from life!! Can anyone give me some suggestions on what they first started drawing from?

Thanks
    Thanked 6,733 Times in 4,639 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AmPed View Post
    Ok, So I'm looking all around but I can't find anything to draw from life!! Can anyone give me some suggestions on what they first started drawing from?
    Raid the fridge. You can always destroy the evidence later.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 674 Posts
    Drape a sheet (preferably white) over a chair next to the window and turn off the lights so there is just the window light. There's lots of shadows and folds that could keep you busy for an hour or two.