Thanks

Removing/preventing mould on paintings - help?

The wet season has hit our lovely North West Queensland, and while it's sorely needed (from about 100 days of water left to brimming in a few days) it brings with it issues of mould (or mold as my US based spellchecker tells me @:-P).

It's been a right royal pain in the arse mopping ceilings lately, but after rehanging one of my acrylic paintings, it seems the back of it is covered is lil black dots of mo(u)ld. Now, on the ceilings we've been using diluted Dettol or vinegar to mop with, but what could I use of the back of the canvas that won't disturb/ruin the painting on front? I haven't looked, but I'm guessing I'll have to do this to all my work.

That said, prevention is better than cure, so what could I do in future to stop this happening?

Forever in your debt for any assistance, as I'd hate to lose stuff from the rain I love so much. @:-)
    Chris Bowden
    http://www.artofbrain.com/ - Crawling back

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Well, if its already molding I'm not sure. To prevent it in the future you could try sealing it off by gessoing both sides of the canvas, or if you're using illustraion board painting a coat on the opposite side and allong the edges to keep out moisture. I'm guessing that should work.

Off the top of my head you might be able to kill off the mold by drying it out and keeping it in an area that is warm and dry. I have to say though that it could be worse; I don't want to immagine what could happen to a beautiful gouache painting in those conditions.

Thanks
    Thanks for the advice, Peter. I think in future all my canvases (canvai?) will be sealed front and back. Unfortunately drying it out in a warm dry place is a bit difficult at the moment. Barely had a day without rain for some time now, and Mount Isa isn't somewhere you'd regularly have a heater. @:-P

Anyone else have some thoughts? Realise it's probably not a common problem...
    Chris Bowden
    http://www.artofbrain.com/ - Crawling back