IDW #90: Sounds of the Stars/ Alien Instruments - Voting

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

View Poll Results: Vote for your favourite entry in this round of IDW

Voters
27. You may not vote on this poll
  • pepps

8 29.63%
  • trashy

18 66.67%
  • fughi from yuggoth

0 0%
  • orchitect

1 3.70%
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,130 Times in 479 Posts
    Follows
    Following

Icon IDW #90: Sounds of the Stars/ Alien Instruments - Voting

IDW #90 Topic: Sounds of the Stars/ Alien Instruments

Deadline for voting: Wednesday, February 04

No voting for your own entries! I repeat, no voting for your own entries

Give critiques and comments, we're all here to learn from each other!

Original thread: IDW #90: Sounds of the Stars/ Alien Instruments

Name:  IDW logo poll smaller.JPG
Views: 1052
Size:  7.5 KB

Last edited by yoitisi; January 28th, 2009 at 10:40 AM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
  3. The Following User Says Thank You to yoitisi For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Description: the Xayyeho is an ancient instrument used by the Lapsi. It is used since ancient time to call; not other members of the tribe though, but nature. The special sound generated by this instrument seems to affect plants and animals around the musician, in a way that resembles communication. Although it´s not an articulated form of communiation, the Lapsi can stimulate plants to grow faster or slower, cause flowers to move (away or towards the instrument), call animals or make them run away, and many more things that grant them a strong bond with the nature of their planet.
    The instrument is a mask, made with leader, dead animals, bolts, and a plant called Xay. This plant is the main thing behind the instrument, as it is it´s sound that, seems to create this bond with the nature.

Attached Images Attached Images  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The Celian Flata

From the outside the Cilian Flata design is slightly similar to the double flute designs made by humanoids. History points out that the Cellian Flata is ancient compared to human instruments though but far more advanced. What makes this instrument unique is it can only be played by alien species that have four hands and two mouths. Trying to play the instrument with just one mouth and two hands results in atrocious sounds that are simply unbearable to hear. However when played correctly the two corresponding barrels of the instrument create beautiful harmonic sounds.

Last edited by Trashy; January 27th, 2009 at 01:31 AM.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Trashy For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The Sirian Fluid Trumpet is a brass instrument;
    and within it's egg shaped resonance body there is
    an amount of magnetic fluid, which can be rearragend
    by a huge electromagnet at the bottom.
    Within the movement of the fluid in the main cavern,
    the airwaves follow different paths through the resonance body
    and the outcoming noise is controlled.
    Around the 90° latitude there are several speakers with microphones
    which take the sound out of the cavern
    and sing beautiful serenates from the stars.
    At least, if you have 4 mandibles
    to control the mouth piece.

Last edited by fughi from yuggoth; January 27th, 2009 at 11:58 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

The Xionic Shrieking Lava Orb

Hi, I'm Orchitect and this is my first entry into any CA.org design competition. I will admit, I am coming out of something of an artistic ice age, but these competitions have inspired me to work on my forgotten drawing skills. I will be the first to admit I am not very adept with computer art programs.

Well, without further ado I give you the Xionic Shrieking Lava Orb, a more primitive industrial design.

The "shrieking lava orb," a rough translation from the Xion's language is a vital part of their hunter gather culture. Before going on a hunt a Xionic tribe will file down the gourd's the horny growths and fill these hollowed gourds with Lavathian larvae (think little red-hot maggots). When the Xions shoot their echolocation into these gourds the sensitive larvae are angered and their bodies turn red hot. The heat from the larvae causes the air inside of the gourd to rise dramatically. The heated air inside of the gourd causes the sonic waves of the Xions' echolocation to bounce around more erratically, echoing inside of the gourd and escaping through its filed down horns, creaing both a shrieking cacophony and a visually stimulating experience for the Xions.

A note on the horny growths: they are an adaptation of the plant that allows these gourds to latch onto the hairy backs of adult Lavathians. Because of their mode of transport the gourds are very heat resistant, but as the larvae get angrier their heat may become too much for the thick skin of the gourd to bear and the Xions must pass the gourd around like an Earthling's "hot-potatoe."

Last edited by orchitect; January 28th, 2009 at 09:15 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,130 Times in 479 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Just a few comments on this round:

As I said earlier in the orginial thread I was kind of puzzled by the lack of interest lately. Still not sure what the problem is, guess it's the time of year. I'm glad there are some more entries now though

I decided to let anyone who finished something go to poll for that reason too

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well I don't know how good I'll be at critiquing but I'll give my two cents.

Pepps: I liked yours a lot. It feels like its till WIP but the concept and the diagrams helped me see what you were attempting to do. The concept I felt was novel, that's why I voted for it.

Trashy: Very nice artwork. It looks finished and polished, but the concept didn't convince me that this was nothing but an alien version of a flute. It is unlike any instrument I have ever seen, but I could imagine what it sounded like fairly easily.

Fughi: Its interesting, but there's nothing that defines its character. Its a mixture of textures and shapes, but nothing really defines what it is, except for the big liquid tank. If you had simplified it down to the most basic elements and cut out the busy-parts (the bones and the "flowers,") it would have more of an identity.

Orchitect

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to orchitect For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Guys,

Thanks Orchitect and those are very good critiques by the way

Pepps- I'm with Orchitect that this is the strongest concept here and those little drawings on the side are good in helping it. Yep, still could of used more refining painting wise and doesn't feel fully complete. Just give yourself more time to work on that part next time.

Me- Yeah it still looks waaaay too much like a regular alien flute. Concept could have been stronger I agree.

Fughi- I think this would of worked better if we actually saw how it functioned like in pepps case with the drawings on the side. I do agree that maybe taking out some of those bones would make it more understandable in form.

orchitect- I loved reading that description. Your rendering skills might not be there yet but your imagination is great. I think you might want to work on better presenting it next time. The problem is telling how the instrument fully looks. You can see a small view of it on the left but I don't think that is strong enough. I think showing the whole instrument instead of just a part of it on the right might of worked better in this case.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Some crits.

pepps: I too agree that your entry looks like it is in a wip stage. It is a very original and a very interesting idea.

Trashy: Concept is a bit shaky as you yourself have pointed out. Nice render for how quickly you did it.

fughi: I would look at some perspective. The top, and the bottom appear to be drawn from two different perspectives. Also, if you were to imagine a line down the curve of the base lightbulb shape, you might find that the decorative bone flame shape is not centred, probably due to the aforementioned perspective issues. Nice idea.

orchitecht: Another interesting idea. I am finding that your description and image don't match. These aren't so much technical crits as picky ones, so don't take this too seriously. 1) though the instrument is a gourd, the image looks as though it is a metal object, or some other reticulated object. 2) From the size comparison, this is much to large to latch onto the back of a human sized creature. Anything that large, without something more sticky than prongs, would have a very hard time staying on and defying gravity.

Technical crits: think about your light sources, and how these would make cast shadows from the larvae as well as the actual thing. And maybe use a plate or something to make a smoother circle for the centre of the orb. I agree with Trashy's crits as well.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Pixie Trick View Post
    Some crits.

orchitecht: Another interesting idea. I am finding that your description and image don't match. These aren't so much technical crits as picky ones, so don't take this too seriously. 1) though the instrument is a gourd, the image looks as though it is a metal object, or some other reticulated object. 2) From the size comparison, this is much to large to latch onto the back of a human sized creature. Anything that large, without something more sticky than prongs, would have a very hard time staying on and defying gravity.

Technical crits: think about your light sources, and how these would make cast shadows from the larvae as well as the actual thing. And maybe use a plate or something to make a smoother circle for the centre of the orb. I agree with Trashy's crits as well.

Thanks. I didn't think about that when I did the drawing. The Lavathian is actually larger than a Xion (the dude holding in the lower left). I probably should have noted that somewhere. As for the material, I was more concerned with getting the form of the instrument across that its texture, and looking back I can see where the confusion arises. That's the problem with using grey scale when you've never used it before... I got some learning to do.

Thanks also for the advice on the light sources. I just used the magic method given how much time I had. Next time it'll be better.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hello,
    thanks for the critics, much appriciated!

i´m glad you dig the concept, i mostly spent time on that, and the rest trying to make the idea understandable. I had a couple of ideas i liked but didn´t know which one to go with, so i when i commited to one, i didn´t jave much time to paint it properly. Still i wanted the figure to look somewhat less detailed than the instrument itself.

trashy i really like your rendering, and the instrument looks really appealing. I´ll echo the others saying that maybe the concept could have been more original, and that´s a pity because i think it is very well designed. =)

fughi from yuggoth i like the shape, but i find it hard to imagine how it would function. I´ll have to echo the others here, maybe some eplanatory drawing would have done the trick? in the end for whatever great your idea can be, if the others don´t understand it, than it´s good for nothing. Sometimes you´ll have to make things simpler, so that the viewer can easily understand what you´re trying to say. This is both in the rendering and in the description.

orchitect more or less the same as above. I felt that you had created a great story around it, but i couldn´t fully understand it. Sometimes you reference names or things that are not explained before. Also the picture is not really informative, it doesn´t give a clear idea of the design of the whole instrument, it´s just a closeup. It´s ok to add a close-up, but still you need to show the design of the whole instrument. looing forward to see what you come up with the next =)

16. The Following User Says Thank You to pepps For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    voted for no one.

pepps
    scuba-gear with sum membrane like pipes and blowbags instead of gas bottles. i cannot understand how the musican will not die by lacking oxygen supply. also i cannot understand how this is made out of the leader.did these aliens actually skinned hitler?
    for the first uploaded piece the work is to rushed. everyone yells at me for loosing perspectivistic continuity and u throw ur colours around like there is no tomorrow. and u get votes. i know how to hide my rushed perspective next time.

trashy
    great rendering, though this flute do not have real holes for changing the sound. i count two of them at the upper end.how to blow into this instrument? or it is actually used for hitting a bongo?
    or maybe it is a wooden dildo for aliens with two vaginas at the bottom, the pins on the upperside will make the action wilder.

orchitect
    your idea of making a bug powered instrument is nice. actually the rendering is kinda strange. everyone talking about ideas in the picture and i don't get it. maybe i had vote for u if did not get a fucking tenosynovitis from the fucking mouse work on all my fucking pictures with no votes before, so i cannot vote for this primitive work on the texture and the shadow.shadow, not shadows, for that guys with perspective talks!

to be true: i see no sense in this kinda activity furthermore, as long as improvment is ignored and getting votes just is a result of whining in the end. y shall i participate if this community fucks things up like that. give me a reason or count me out.i have other things to do, maybe going to the doctor and get rid of this fucking tenosynovitis in my arm, caused by this community activities.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    raeg quit.

pretty cool designs guys, i like how they are pretty much all completely different in how they are played/operated.

I believe that we should be striving to convey our ideas in as few words as possible. People are visual, and we like to read images more than reading text because we can do it faster. So i believe it would be a good goal to try and incorporate very little text, mainly just to define phases or pieces of the design, and let the MANY drawings you should be doing telling the rest of the story.

For this reason, I voted for Pepps because he came closest to what i call an Industrial Design Presentation out of the four finals posted.

Do not, ever, under any circumstances, not have fun.

Website

Blog

Sketch-ream!

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.