Intuos3 6x8 Tablet or Portege M200?

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Intuos3 6x8 Tablet or Portege M200?

Hello fellow ConceptArtists . Long time lurker, and just getting my feet in the water regarding digital art... So a simple question thread here.

As my thread title sort of suggest, I'm wondering if anyone has experience with both to do a comparison of the two.

Of course, I'll offer some more context:
    Essentially, it boils down to: Which is a better choice in terms of usability and workflow? Obviously the M200 is already outdated spec-wise, however, I'm not expecting to do anything other than Painter/Photoshop/2D Digital Art (I know some people uses their tablet to do 3D work, but I don't see the advantage of that vs. a mouse) on it, so I don't think the semi-outdated specs will work against me, per se.

The disadvantage is that since the laptop itself is not upgradable (since most of the parts are either discontinued or simply extremely expensive to upgrade via eBay), should I need to do things with photoshop that pushes the laptop, it may work against me (i.e.: Very large brushes that take a lot of CPU time). Whereas the Wacom can be used on any computer for the duration of its life (I've seen working Intuos from a decade ago! So I'm quite confident in Wacom's product quality).

The M200 also doesn't have any tilt sensing in its pen, and it has only half of Intuos3's sensitivity (I currently own a first gen 4x5 Graphire, and the 512 levels of sensitivity doesn't seem to bother me, the jittering does, however; I'm wondering if this is present in the M200. I'm currently testing out the Intuos3 and from a usability and technical perspective, it's perfect; great sensitivity, no jittering whatsoever, everything you'd expect from a top of the line Wacom product).

What I'm trying to get at is: Is the M200, from a usability and technical perspective, good enough in itself (after all, you are drawing directly to the screen, that's a big bonus in my books) to be worth the purchase over a Intuos3? I have tried using tilt sensitivity, but I don't see how that helps in real-life situations. Is it helpful at all (as in, will it be a feature used often with many brushes)?

Also, how is the M200's secondary stylus? It seems that most of the eBay auctions do not sell the Main stylus (Lost over the years, I suppose), but instead only the secondary stylus that's "hidden" in the battery compartment. Does this still offer 512 levels of sensitivity?

A second hand M200 can be had for less than 300 via eBay, while Intuos3 goes for over 350. Now, price is not a factor for me, so I'm looking purely from a usability and workflow perspective.

I suppose that's most of the questions I can think up for now...

Thanks to anyone that can offer any insight to this dilemma!

EDIT: I'm now uncertain as to whether or not the M200's pen is 256 or 512 levels of pressure sensitivity... Different places seem to report different pressure sensitivity levels! If anyone can clear this up, greatly appreciated!

Last edited by LightCastsShadows; January 25th, 2009 at 03:28 AM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well price must be a bit of a factor...otherwise you'd buy a Cintiq ~_^

Seriously, go for the Intuos or even one of the lower priced Wacom tablets like a Bamboo.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Okay, you got me there . Cintiq is way out of my league, but I meant relatively between the two (300 vs 350 isn't much of a diff).

There's no way I'm settling for a Bamboo under any circumstances, though. I have enough cash to get an Intuos3 or the M200 (Plus.. the Bamboo wouldn't be that big of an upgrade from my Graphire... both are 4x5 [or I suppose 6x8-ish with the medium model] with 512 levels of pressure sensitivity and no tilt). The smallest Intuos3 I'm looking at is the 6x8 (which is approx 10 inches of work area, where as the Portege M200's 12.1 inch screen is... well, 12.1 inches of work area ). If possible, I might spring for the 6x11 since I work with widescreen monitors and sometimes dual monitors.

Thanks for the response though .

Btw, I'm now uncertain as to whether or not the M200's pen is 256 or 512 levels of pressure sensitivity... Different places seem to report different pressure sensitivity levels! If anyone can clear this up, greatly appreciated!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,220 Times in 624 Posts
    Follows
    Following
Maybe you can spend 400-500 dollars and get a more powerful Tablet PC. 2 gb and a decent processor should be enough to go pretty high-res afaik.

anyways, what i want to point out, since so many people on this forum doesn't seem to get it is that it doesn't affect the quality one bit if you have 256 or 1024 levels of pen-pressure levels, you can't pin-point 1 level anyway, except for full-pressure i guess.

xx levels of pressure isn't some kind of spectrum that you add to, its simply the space between each level the tablet-surface can feel from the stylus. Its so ridiculous that its even considered when buying those tablets.. I'm not pointing this at you, but i might perhaps affect someones decision that is wondering about "levels" of pen pressure.

My nintendo DS has 256 levels i think , i had a graphire 3 before it had 512, and now i'm on an intuos 3 with 1024 levels of pen-sensitivity.. and i can make the same strokes on all those tablets. Don't even _think_ about that when you're buying a tablet..

if you really want to consider something, it'd be physical size, working-space, other features like express buttons, or tilt sensitivity or whatever it is.

You can do the same art on a cheap genius-tablet that you can with the newest high-tech cintiq-wacompad.

I prefer my intuos 3 A4 over every other tablet i have tried, but it has nothing to do with the levels of pen-sensitivity it can achieve.

Also working with a tablet-area is completely different to working on-screen with the physical working space. So 12.1 is quite a lot, even if it might not seem like it.

I don't know if that helps.. you mentioned some of the stuff i just typed in your last post before i saw it.. so i think you know what you're looking for. yeah yeah, just advice and random tips anyways.

good luck = )

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Go with the Intuos.

Theres a reason Wacom is the industry leader.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @Dile_: Thanks for the detailed reply, and after watching _this_ comparison video between a Cintiq 21ux and a Toshiba R25, I'm pretty much convinced that pressure sensitivity doesn't matter all that much.

BTW, what model of Tablet PC can be had for between 400-500 with 2GB of RAM (I'm assuming it's obviously used)? I'd definitely be interested in that if it's only a mere 200 more than my original estimated 300 ~purchase.

@wassermelone: Actually, most Tablet PC's uses Wacom's digitizer technology!

I suppose the real "main" difference is the additional 2 inch of workspace for the M200 and the ability to "draw where you see". There's gotta be something that's to be said for the ability to draw where you see, right? Otherwise the Cintiq wouldn't be such a hot commodity .

The only thing holding me back from getting the M200, like mentioned before, is the outdated specs and the longevity (since I'm really looking forward to being able to draw where I see). If I get the Intuos3, it can theoretically last me a decade or so, until I either upgrade to a Cintiq or a larger/newer Intuos, whereas the M200 is already outdated from the get-go .

• Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.