Thanks

FEAR 2: Project Origin

The demo came out today (I recommend getting it on Steam, as any other way seems problematic for many people so far.

It looks absolutely stunning. Visually its inspiring, the gameplay is smooth and improved over the original FEAR, and it looks like there's a lot of new content and play mechanics that look VERY promising.
    Last edited by ChaoticKnight; January 23rd, 2009 at 01:37 AM.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Some screenshots from my comp if you guys are interested. I would've loved to have been on this concept team...

Thanks
    Looks promising from what I've seen in some videos, looks like it'll be a definite improvement on the first.

I liked the first a lot, it had a lot of cool theatrical elements in it, but the expansion packs were like the same levels just slightly rearranged. Plus they introduced a new character that also inexplicably had time slowing powers. I mean the first guy it was like he has time slowing powers due to the fact that he's Alma's son, but the other guy was just like the developers were like "oh yeah! and there's this other guy. He can do that too, just cause"
    Everybody wants to go to heaven, but nobody wants to die

My Sketchbook

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Straight Edge Ryan View Post
    Looks promising from what I've seen in some videos, looks like it'll be a definite improvement on the first.

I liked the first a lot, it had a lot of cool theatrical elements in it, but the expansion packs were like the same levels just slightly rearranged. Plus they introduced a new character that also inexplicably had time slowing powers. I mean the first guy it was like he has time slowing powers due to the fact that he's Alma's son, but the other guy was just like the developers were like "oh yeah! and there's this other guy. He can do that too, just cause"
    Yeah , thats because the expansion packs weren`t done by Monolith themselves. They are also considered as non-canon to the originals storyline. (Wich is good...the expansionpacks had some nice moments here and there (Enemies , Weapons and I really like the hospital level in the first and the subway level in the second) but the story was badly written imho)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ilaekae
    "Art is the physical result of your soul battling with your intellect to the death...with a sharp pencil..."
    THE AUSTRIAN SKETCHLORDS
    Baron Carnifex
    Duke Corky

Thanks
    (If you're so afraid of spoilers you haven't even played the demo, you probably shouldn't read this. Oh, and it might contain some FEAR spoilers too, I guess)

I've been really stoked about this since it was announced, but I gotta say, the demo lessened my expectations considerably. FEAR is definitely one of my favorite fps's of all time, and it seems to me like they've removed or changed a lot of the things that made it so exceptional.

First thing that hits me is the interface/HUD. In FEAR it was simple, no-nonsense, did it's job perfectly. But now they've added all this unnecessary detail. I mean, it's not that big of a deal, but I gotta admit it was constantly bugging me as I played the demo. It sort of distanced me from the game world, somehow.

Second, from the demo I got the distinct impression that story has been down-prioritized in favor of gameplay. The great thing about FEAR was that it balanced those two almost flawlessly. One of the best parts of FEAR, in my opinion, was the intel items. Those laptops that were lying around and you'd upload files to HQ and they'd tell you bits and pieces of information that eventually started to form a picture. The great thing about the way they did it was that by having you just press one button and then being told the contents of the intel, the experience wasn't really slowed down at all. In the FEAR 2 demo, all the intel items were just text popping up in your PDA. So now you actually have to take time out of your playtime to read these files. To me, that seriously dampens the feeling of action and suspense.

Finally, the way you get so much closer to Alma is really bringing it down, I feel. What was so scary in FEAR was how Alma was actually nowhere near you, she was just playing with your head remotely. That was seriously freaky, and it led up to an awesome moment when she got loose and you could actually see the real her. With you getting so close to her in FEAR 2, to the point where she actually throws herself on you (whether it is in your head or in 'reality'), it feels like they're making it much more of a standard action/scare game. Sort of like throwing monsters at you instead of messing with your head and getting under our skin.

Anyway, the impression I got from the demo was that they're taking it in the direction of the more standard scary fps. Still looking forward to it though, and it's a definite purchase. I think I just have to adjust my expectations a bit.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shakespeare
    I think he'll be to Rome
    As is the osprey to the fish, who takes it
    By sovereignty of nature.
    SSG
    Anthis Dizon Angel Intheuk Zou Crane Hai

Thanks
    I also played the demo, i get the impression that monolith attempted to make the bigger, better and more intense sequel to the first game. I'll be honest, the whole experience was really cool and the game is very successful of pulling me into the game, because through the eyes of the character you really get a strong sense of movement. Like in mirror's edge for example, the movement intensifies the gameplay. Although, ont he other hand it's kind of the same old fear game as the original, but I bet there is more to offer within the full game.

Visually, the game is one BIG step in the graphics department from it's previous predecessor. the only thing that bugs me is that the blood spews out of your enemies like cherry Jell-O. and last but not least , shooting them excessively while in slow-motion seems to increase the effect causing them to burst into one great big strawberry splash of PURE JELL-O. MMmm delicious....

Anyways...I think the overall game play is fun and freaky as hell, the scare factor throughout the game works only once, because it's not random and it's all scripted as you go. Even though, the game manages to renew it in different ways as much as possible. I think this is a great game, it's fun and intense, I recommend it if you liked the first game.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Hai View Post
    <snip>

Anyway, the impression I got from the demo was that they're taking it in the direction of the more standard scary fps. Still looking forward to it though, and it's a definite purchase. I think I just have to adjust my expectations a bit.
    I'm in the same boat. I loved the original FEAR and played it through multiple times. But FEAR 2... eh, seemed like more of the same, but just not as interesting this time around. I agree, there was way too much "in your face" Alma. They need to tone it down, way down. Less is more.

I think FEAR really was a one-trick pony. Works best when you're playing it the very first time and have no idea what to expect.

Thanks
    F.E.A.R. was never really that scary for me, and it's not that I'm one of those "nothing scares me ::flexes muscles::" kinda dudes, I didn't even work up the balls to play Doom 3 till a few months ago

But the entire scary aspect of F.E.A.R. has a flaw in its design. From the first 5 minutes of the game, it's made clear that Alma has the ability to walk in anywhere and do her little explodey trick with anyone, reducing them to nothing but a pile of bones and blood. The fact that she DOESNT do this to you (for obvious game design reasons) is a clear giveaway that you're safe from her. The only other supernatural enemies in the game are those semi-invisible guys who are weak as hell and easy to kill. Take the unstoppable supernatural pissed off little girl out of the equation and you're left with a fairly standard FPS

that's not to say I didn't jump a couple of times here and there, but the game seems to rely largely on "BOO!" moments

My Sketchbook

Thanks
    Well the point of Alma is that you and her have a special relationship, I wont go into it further in case anyone hasn't played 1.

Also, IMO they probably crammed as much as possible into the demo, I'm willing to bet the paranormal scenes are much fewer and farther between in the actual game.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,345 Times in 474 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pitabread View Post
    I'm in the same boat. I loved the original FEAR and played it through multiple times. But FEAR 2... eh, seemed like more of the same, but just not as interesting this time around. I agree, there was way too much "in your face" Alma. They need to tone it down, way down. Less is more.

I think FEAR really was a one-trick pony. Works best when you're playing it the very first time and have no idea what to expect.
    Well, just to give you a bit of insight as to the actual reasons for the change...(I worked on it, and was privy to the meetings about the scares considering I was one of the few horror fanatics on the team), they basically felt that "The Ring" and pretty much all Japanese horror (which is what the scares in the first game were based on) is completely watered down and played out at this point. It was a great little sub-genre of horror that was completely destroyed by a lot of really bad movies....so they wanted to push it to the next level.

I could go into a lot of depth on a lot of various things, but you'll have to PM me if you actually care.

For what it's worth....I have played the game from start to finish and I can give a fairly unbiased (considering I no longer work there) opinion of an 85% for the game. It's a good game if you want the action, but if you want something scary, you may be disappointed.

But the entire scary aspect of F.E.A.R. has a flaw in its design. From the first 5 minutes of the game, it's made clear that Alma has the ability to walk in anywhere and do her little explodey trick with anyone, reducing them to nothing but a pile of bones and blood. The fact that she DOESNT do this to you (for obvious game design reasons) is a clear giveaway that you're safe from her. The only other supernatural enemies in the game are those semi-invisible guys who are weak as hell and easy to kill. Take the unstoppable supernatural pissed off little girl out of the equation and you're left with a fairly standard FPS
    ...which is exactly the reason for the change in style for FEAR 2. They felt Alma was not a threat in Fear 1....ever. So they want her to feel like more of a physical threat because she can actually harm you.

-D
    Last edited by Dusty; January 31st, 2009 at 04:47 AM.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Dusty For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Played the demo yesterday. Not bad, it definitely seems to be bringing back some of the cooler elements from FEAR 1. One of the things I loved about the first was how you would have dramatic and freaky visions at random points in the game, and they definitely seem to be focusing more on the creepy atmosphere this time around

All in all I'm more excited for it than I initially was

My Sketchbook