Thread: Graffiti is Art

Thanks

Graffiti is Art

Some of my favorite graff sites.

www.stickupkids.de

www.bombingscience.com

www.graffiti.org

There are many more, have fun.
    Last edited by Lohan; December 7th, 2003 at 01:16 PM.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    good links

Thanks
    this is a good site too

http://www.stencilrevolution.com/

not graf graf but still cool

Thanks
    i dunno about the artistic merit of tagging, but graffiti is definately art in my books. I love catching the train and looking at all the graf on walls and stuff as they go past.

Thanks

My $0.02

I considered posting a thread about a similar thing, but i guess i'll just put my ramblings here...

to start things off i have always liked the whole pop- and hiphop culture in general, i'm not into some things like the whole "bling bling&gansta 4 lyfe" part of it, but i think the culture in whole is seriously under-rated if one does not take few exeptions that have surfaced in the recent decades, like Warhol and the like.

I recentrly aquired a scenic paining from an unknown (atleast as i, and google know of)artist. And a few days later, when the beer began to take hold, tought that hey, this would look really awesome with a stenciled picture on top of this idyllic ocean scenery (i'm thinking something in the lines of http://www.banksy.co.uk/indoors/02.html )

but after a few days consideration i started to think that maybe this would be kinda wrong considering the original artist, and his ownership to his art (i'm not speaking about ownership in legal terms, rather in ethical) is it possible to claim this monstrosity as my own work, or is it just considered a rather mediocre painting with stencilled stuff at the top.

And to be clear i'm not dissing anybody who is into scenic paintings nor do i try to "edgy" or anything, just tought that it would look wicked.

and to sum things off ii think i'll leave you with a random quote from Banksy, a Brittish stencil master:

"Someone famous once said:"It takes two people to make a piece of art. One person to make the art and another person to stop them from destroying it." Wich is more poetic, than saying :"It takes two people to make a pice of art. One person to make the art and another person to come round later from the council and sand-blast it off."

Thanks
    a guy i knew in college came up with something like that a year ago.
    he found a couple of crappy little landscape paintings and tagged them up, added paint drips, stars and all the other shiznat. it ended up looking pretty cool.

"It takes two people to make a pice of art. One person to make the art and another person to come round later from the council and sand-blast it off."
    i always thought that the orginal quote implied that the second person is needed to stop the artist from overworking/destryoing his piece.

heh

-O
    Last edited by dusty imp; March 9th, 2005 at 05:50 PM.

Thanks
    i like banksy stuff it is cool.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,607 Times in 291 Posts
    yes. it is. -c36

Thanks
    Banksy's stuff is dotted around i see bits and bobs quite often in London. 5points in new york is amazing! go if you get the chance!
    I really like Flying Fortress and Sam Flores, who's everyone else fav gaph'ers
    speaking of which my new montanas just arrived! must experiment!
    -Badger-

Thanks
    Badger: heh, Sam is an old dear friend of mine. we cut our teeth together out in frisco around the same time. hes the real deal alright. as far as my faves go, i would have to site my all time favorite as Mode2, who first showed my the doorway through to illustration with his works. even after 25 years, his work still shines with an intensity and narrative that few posess. i proudly have 2 of his large framed prints signed and numbered hanging in my livingroom ...my boys the mac, buter, grave(on some back in da day shit), giant, dug one, kebs, all hold shit down respectively, and continue to amaze me with thier abilities. it makes me proud and sad at the same time the way graffiti has worked its way into the vernacular of pop culture. i feel it is finally getting the recognition it deserves, however through that i somehow loses its legitimacy, if that makes sense.-c36

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by el coro
    yes. it is. -c36
    exactly

german graffs: farbsucht
    german -> leipzig [ex-homeyard] graffs: desynz

There are couple more but I've forgotten them.
    Last edited by Sam256; March 11th, 2005 at 07:11 PM.

Thanks
    Well, I wouldn't call most graffiti art. The majority you see is lacking in both imagination and quality, at least here in Germany. It takes a bit more than oversized letters and slang to make art. The stuff in the links is pretty cool though. Kinda sad that all graffiti can't be that interesting.

Es fließt durch meine Venen, Es schläft in meinen Tränen
    Es läuft mir aus den Ohren, Herz und Nieren sind Motoren

Thanks
    Bah, spray paint is for wimps. Check out what this artist does on a dirty van with just dirt. Amazing!

Graffiti is Art

(His name is Ben Long and is from the U.K. Trying to find a gallery but no luck so far.)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by el coro
    Badger: heh, Sam is an old dear friend of mine. we cut our teeth together out in frisco around the same time. hes the real deal alright. as far as my faves go, i would have to site my all time favorite as Mode2, who first showed my the doorway through to illustration with his works. even after 25 years, his work still shines with an intensity and narrative that few posess. i proudly have 2 of his large framed prints signed and numbered hanging in my livingroom ...my boys the mac, buter, grave(on some back in da day shit), giant, dug one, kebs, all hold shit down respectively, and continue to amaze me with thier abilities. it makes me proud and sad at the same time the way graffiti has worked its way into the vernacular of pop culture. i feel it is finally getting the recognition it deserves, however through that i somehow loses its legitimacy, if that makes sense.-c36
    Sweet one man! you know your shit! that sounds like an amazing experience. Alas no famous Grafers about here have made them selves known to me or my crew, if there are any It's pretty graf free except London and Bristol.
    talbot thats impressive stuff! but u gotta find a pretty dirty truck. Idealy technicolour dirt! ha ha
    -Badger-

Thanks
    speaking of mode2 www.defumo.org

man i can spend hours looking at their compositions and designs, just too cool

Thanks
    Well...there's graffiti, and then there's graffiti.

The graffiti I see as art is a lot of what the links people have here contain. Great colours, great styles, and some hella cool subject matter. The tattoo place near home has its whole side wall decorated with a graffiti mural (with a tattooist's...tool? pen?...as the main focus, and all these cool designs like eagles, tribals, and dragons around it). I love looking at it, they must have so much patience when creating it.

And then there's just the crap that predominates every bus stop, wall, and bench. Generally they just slag off people ("Abbi iz a fukin bitch" and the like) and I don't see most tagging as art (unless it's of the quality of the above, the stuff that I do like).

Eh. We need more graffitied dragons gracing walls
    Finn | my sketchbook thread | tumblr | Bēhance | gorillaartfare | whiskey, gin, and pints of beer

Thanks
    http://www.capitalsthlm.com
    Some shit from sweden... check it out...
    I'm a writer myself, been writing for some years. Ain't really that active but sometimes i get out and bomb or do some piece...

Thanks
    Hi,
    i thought of buying some "graffiti cans", but i don't know which brand to buy.
    So any advices?

Thanks.

Thanks
    Kleiner I'd recommend Montana Gold. Great paints. Don't get colours too close as they aren't much different.
    Hope that helps... a bit.
    -Badger-

Thanks
    www.woostercollective.com

YEAH BITCHES!!!

Thanks
    Cheerz for that spacemanchuck sweet site
    I didn't see it already, so 5pointz
    -Badger-

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Badger
    Kleiner I'd recommend Montana Gold. Great paints. Don't get colours too close as they aren't much different.
    Hope that helps... a bit.
    -Badger-

I use Montana Black, but yeah. Montana stuff comes highly recommended.
    that's what i said.

Thanks

bo prob

yeah thats my second favorite site next to you know... Marthastewart.com of course! I check up on it almost ever day, huge amount of stuff there!

Thanks
    these guys are my favorites right now... sick... Super sick...

I've been trying to get a Graff battle going here. but, no one ever stepped up to teh plate.. If anyone is interested le me know!! That includes you CORO!

http://www.mac-graffiti.net/
    Mainloop- man i must be dyslexic.. cuz i thought you asked how many people are on lsd

SketchBook
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=237554

On the fringes of "acceptable" observation and commentary.
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by talbot
    Check out what this artist does on a dirty van with just dirt. Amazing!(His name is Ben Long and is from the U.K. Trying to find a gallery but no luck so far.)
    I can understand why! You'd have to dirty up the gallery just so that he'd have a medium for his work, and then the janitors would probably come in overnight and clean the place!

~M
    Change is Inevitable, Growth is Optional
    I am The Choosen One!
    Jason sez: Draw more from Life!

Thanks
    www.zed1.it => this guy has some beautifull works! I really like this on: http://www.zed1.it/zed1/img/tele/acrobata_big.jpg

And as for Belgium :

Ghent: www.ghentizm.be
    Bruges: http://zone8000.void.be

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jumpsturdy
    I use Montana Black, but yeah. Montana stuff comes highly recommended.
    is montana black high pressure? iv been using montana gold since i started but im thinking of starting to use MB coz its cheaper

Vigostar - I've been trying to get a Graff battle going here. but, no one ever stepped up to teh plate.. If anyone is interested le me know!!
    yeh id definately be up for that...ill probably get destroyed but it would be fun
    --- Style is Everything ---

My Rhythmic Alter Ego

Thanks
    itsun- lets go for it some time.... it'll be fun!!! the battle has to be a work of art.... which means that the letters are jst as important as the charcaters and background and shit.. after this big thunderdome thing
    Mainloop- man i must be dyslexic.. cuz i thought you asked how many people are on lsd

SketchBook
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=237554

Thanks
    yeh that sounds good, just as long as its kept to paper coz i dont have any paint and i probably wont for a while
    i guess we'r gona have to try and get more people in on this aswel

!!!GRAFF BATTLE - WHOS INTERESTED!!!!
    --- Style is Everything ---

My Rhythmic Alter Ego

Thanks
    hmmmmmm...graf battle eh?-c36

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast