The Last Samurai ::SPOiLERS!::
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: The Last Samurai ::SPOiLERS!::

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Arrow The Last Samurai ::SPOiLERS!::

You need to see this movie. No ifs, ands, or buts. I was very skeptical about the movie when I saw the trailer; in fact, I was certain that it would be stupid and that I would hate it. Now, I think this is the best movie I have ever seen.

Last edited by JoshuaTheJames; December 9th, 2003 at 06:00 AM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    dammit, you took my post!! :bash:

and i totally agree...this movie..blew me away
    i LOVED every minute of it.
    the direction, story, and the actors all did amazing jobs.
    tom cruise is good, but i think the actor who stole the movie was "Katsimura" (i think thats how you spell his name)
    i dont know the actors name, but he was very impressive!

GO SEE THIS DAMN MOVIE!!!!

cheers! :beer: :chug:

-------
    I wont fail now

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Haha, I almost made this same post earlier.

It seriously is a 10/10 movie. Great stuff.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,308 Times in 307 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I promised myself that the only conditions on which I'd see this movie would be if gets an R-rating for violence and it has. Off I go.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    just from watching the trailer i was in awe from its cinemaphotography. the scenes look absolutely beautiful, the fight scenes (from what ive seen so far) look like great technical pulloffs. but this movie is beauifully shot, honestly I think any aspiring artist or admirer of the aesthetics should see this. I've heard alot about the character Kitsumura(sp?) although i still believe that Tom Cruise seems a bit miscastted, i still go see it. Always have been a fan of Japanese Culture, military and warfare.

i'll go see it later on tonight, hopefully then i'll be able to give some insight on the movie's story, etc.

-Ant

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I actually thought Tom Cruise was really good for this movie. Other noteworthy points: The fight and battle scenes were AMAZING; the kind of stuff that would make any action fan giddy. But the wonderful thing is that the movie had an excellent plost. It was just fantastic. Maybe I don't watch enough movies, but this is probably the best movie I have ever seen.

A note on the fighting, too: I checked out a Kendo forum, and the members there who had seen the movie, though few (since it just came out) said that the fighting was portrayed fairly accurately, and that they liked the fights and the movie as a whole. It was nice to hear, because a lot of their previous posts expressed skepticism.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It turns out Cruise didn't want to get payed for this movie, he did it for free, so the money could be put into production, cant wait to see it.

my gallery

Member: Team Insect Battle X-Treme ( scorpion squad, mutated monstrosity platoon)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Originally posted by shadow
    It turns out Cruise didn't want to get payed for this movie, he did it for free, so the money could be put into production, cant wait to see it.
    Are you serious?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    "well, i'm just glad the great white man was here to save us this time, but what about next time?!"

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    That's what I was thinking too, jrr, when I saw the poster and trailer. But I don't think that was what the movie was about (I mean, no movie is ever officially about that, but you know what I mean). I took the last Samurai to be Kitsamura, not Cruise. The thing wasn't "save us, white man" it was more like white man learning and embracing a new way of life.

Last edited by Rusty Red Robot; December 6th, 2003 at 04:35 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    dang it, my dad wont let me go see it cause its R. But if its just R for violence I'll try to see it on video at someone else's house, such as people_are_stupids house, otherwise known as the pit of depravity.

i am removed

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    can anyone provide a link to the trailer? i live in the uk. i dont think it comes out here for a while.

thanks

» sketchbook
    » blog
    » website

(First rule of Pocket Club...)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Originally posted by Charming Louse
    That's what I was thinking too, jrr, when I saw the poster and trailer. But I don't think that was what the movie was about (I mean, no movie is ever officially about that, but you know what I mean). I took the last Samurai to be Kitsamura, not Cruise. The thing wasn't "save us, white man" it was more like white man learning and embracing a new way of life.

Exactly. I've seen too many people criticizing the movie without even seeing it or knowing what it is about. I've even heard people say "It's so stupid, Tom Cruise is white!" Maybe if they knew he story, they would understand why a white guy is in living in an old Japan village..

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    cartoonfox, here's a link to the trailer: http://www.apple.com/trailers/wb/the_last_samurai/

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ok, saw it. AWESOME. Kitsomaru is so cool. Tom Cruise did a good job, don't know what those critics were talking about. Those fights scenes were awesome. The audience was clapping after every fight because it was so cool.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Originally posted by Charming Louse
    cartoonfox, here's a link to the trailer: http://www.apple.com/trailers/wb/the_last_samurai/
    hey, thanks for the link.

looks cool. cant wait to see it!

» sketchbook
    » blog
    » website

(First rule of Pocket Club...)

davi is offline Administrator & Community Manager. Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,195 Times in 254 Posts
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yea, people actually clapped at the end.. that was the first time I'd seen people do that. Heh... but yea, there are some great action scenes.. actually the violence didn't seem too bad tho, in terms of gore... there were acouple quick flashes of things, during one fight, you might miss it, he slashes down and the blade goes straight through a persons head and down into their chest.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    my boyfriend is boycotting this movie because he doesn't like how a white guy is upstaging all the samurai in their own country, and how a movie with the word "samurai" in it has a white guy as the lead...or something like that.

...but he doesn't understand; isn't he a Civil War officer trying to understand their culture or something? I haven't seen this movie yet, but I really want to see it...it's next on my list after 'Love Actually' (heh).

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Originally posted by cybercyst
    my boyfriend is boycotting this movie because he doesn't like how a white guy is upstaging all the samurai in their own country, and how a movie with the word "samurai" in it has a white guy as the lead...or something like that.

...but he doesn't understand; isn't he a Civil War officer trying to understand their culture or something? I haven't seen this movie yet, but I really want to see it...it's next on my list after 'Love Actually' (heh).
    Yea, no offense, but your boyfriend is a moron. Tom Cruise plays a drunken war hero who is brought to Japan to help train their army in western warfare. Things happen, etc, etc... It's a brilliant story, try not to miss out on it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    cybercyst, to clarify without ruining the plot, Cruise's character in the movie is hired to train the Emperor's army in Western battle tactics and Western weaponry (in other words, guns). The Emperor is trying to quell a rebellion by the Samurai, who oppose Westernization. Cruise's character is an alcoholic haunted by things he did in the American-Indian wars. Things happen, and he ends up being captured by the opposing side (the Samurai), and that's when he starts to learn about them and a new way of life. He ends up helping them (duh, see all posters and the trailer), but I would NOT say that he upstages them.

Like I said before, I had an opinion similar to that of your boyfriend at first. I saw the movie "just because," you know? But after seeing it, I have to say it's my favorite movie of all time. Do everything you can to make your boyfriend go see it. It is amazing.

Davi: I agree on the cinematography. I'll also be mad if it doesn't win Best Picture.

davi is offline Administrator & Community Manager. Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    man the ost for the movie is beyond amazing

my smelly room now feels like i'm in an epic and emotional landscape

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You got it, too, eh? I picked it up yesterday. Much like the Pirates of the Caribbean made driving my car an adventure on the high seas, the soundtrack for The Last Samurai is making my living room the scene of battles for honor of epic proportions.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    a pirate walks into a bar with a ship's whell in his pants. the bartender says 'hey you got a ship's whell in your pants', and the pirate says 'arrghhhh it's driving me nuts'

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Did you hear about that new pirate movie? It's rated Arrrrrr!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    saw it last night.. the fight scenes are awesome, and its great entertainment value, but to me I couldnt help it was one big ego-massage for the Cruiser... The ending was a bit over-the-top also.. i dont wanna spoil it, so i'll wait a while before i go further with it.. yeah, the cinematography was ill.. I personally liked 13th Warrior more, if there's something else to compare it too.. its hard to get past the whole "white guy saves the day" feeling i got from it, but i sorta expected that going into the movie..

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    yea i loved how tome cruise was literally THE LAST SAMURAI to survive the battle...pffftt

he shoulda committed sepuku

and his hair looked really baeutiful too BTW

oh i also loved how he became a master swordsman in a matter of months..with the skills to kill a bunch of other seasoned ninja and other samurai

the force was strong in that cracker

loop---clever signature...see YOU ARE SMART!

MY SITE
    available for freelance

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Tyboogie - He was a tiger, remember? Natural killer. Just give him a weapon and some time and bam! pain for the enemy.

Something that ruined the movie for me though was those stupid guns at the end. I hated them. The gattling guns. They sucked. I wanted to see the last 20 or so ravage through the line to that fat asian guy.

Another thing that ruined the movie for me was the emperor. What was up with his voice? I mean, puberty man. Try it sometime.

Also, there were these jerks behind me that took their shoes off and put them on my arm rest Dicks...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    *SPOILERS*

As much as I would have liked to see the Samurai win, I knew they couldn't. That movie had tragic ending written all over it.

As for the Emperor: He was young and inexperienced, as he inherited the throne at an early age. I believe that is true to life.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    What follows are some spoilers from the movie:

Originally posted by tyboogie
    yea i loved how tome cruise was literally THE LAST SAMURAI to survive the battle...pffftt
    Well, if he was alive, and the movie says that there are no samurai left, how could he be the last samurai?

Samurai in the title is plural, referring to the band of men under Katsumoto, and not Cruise.

he shoulda committed sepuku
    He couldn't. He didn't have to, nor did he want to, as he wasn't samurai.

oh i also loved how he became a master swordsman in a matter of months..with the skills to kill a bunch of other seasoned ninja and other samurai

the force was strong in that cracker
    Being a captain he'd have a shitload of training in the saber, plus, as it's been mentioned, he's a natural fighter.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.