How to make the values pop and apply texture?

Join 500,000+ artists on ConceptArt.Org.

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks

How to make the values pop and apply texture?

Hey there fellow CA members!
    I have been working on this for a while now.
    I was wondering, how do i get some texture in?
    I use Photoshop and there must be ways to do that.
    Also I was wondering how to make the image pop more,
    and suggestions how to work the background are also welcome!

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    The best way is to get a high res picture of some paper of scruffy material and put it on a layer above the picture and change the dropdown blend mode to overlay. That and sue some textured brushes. The lighting itself lends it self very well to making it pop you just need to carve it out and be more confident and desisive with where your highlights and shadows are gonna go.

Hope that helps

Thanks
    Followed some of your advice. I really like that overlay option, didnt yet know about that one Being confident and decicive about my highlights and shadows is something I'll learn along the way. This is my second painting in Photoshop ever and I'll try to keep that in mind the next one I make.
    Here is the new version!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,766 Times in 648 Posts
    Okay, a few words on values from me, then!

Values pop in areas of high contrast, and diminish when there's less contrast. The reason he isn't popping so well is because most of him is dark colour set on dark background colour, so he's fading into the back ground a bit.

I can see that you've tried to solve this a bit by brightening the rim light on his face, but it's not really enough to make him pop totally.

My suggestion would be to give yourself a little more width in the piece, and move the falling building to the left a bit so you can bring some of that brighter sky behind him, and let your darker values pop more.

Right now your strongest contrast (and what my eye keeps going to) are the flames! And that's probably not what you want your focal point to be. :] On him, right now, it's his backpack.

Choose where you want the focal point to be, and make sure that has the highest contrast.

Also, right now you have one source light (the fire), but no ambient or bounce light. The darkest part of the shadow (or at least a darker part of the shadow) is called the core shadow, which happens when the object falls away from the light. It's best to show on a cylinder, but you'll notice that the side with the light will obviously be the brightest, then the shadow will fall softly and then be very dark, and then lighten up towards the back. This is because the back is getting a little bit of left over light that's being bounced off stuff around it. Also, if you put that little bit of light in, it lets your figure feel more three dimensional, and pulls him up from the background. If you just go from light - dark without keep this in mind, your shapes will have no volume and look very flat. The benefit is that it'll also help your values pop. :]

Few other notes:

1. I would change the composition so that you can see his feet. It's not really helping you right now to cut them off, all it makes me think is that you're scared to draw feet.

2. Elbows! Elbows are difficult. Keep in mind that for most people, if you put your elbow at your side, it'll come to around your bellybutton. (for me, and for other people with ridiculously long arms, it actually goes lower than that.) Right now your figure's elbows barely reach to the bottom of his rib cage! Let him have some longer arms. :]

3. His current pose is a little stiff and unatural - holding our arms and legs parallel like that is kind of annoying to do - usually we put our weight on one leg and use the other for support. You don't need to do this dramatically, but let him stand a little more naturally and he won't feel so stiff.

Hope this helped!

Thanks
    Thanks so much Daestwen, you give damn usefull advice!
    I changed the background so that the guy has white behind him.
    This should push the contrast and make him the centre of the picture.
    Also lengthend the arms and worked on the hands.
    Tell me what u guys think

Any tips on how to render a blade (look at his knife, how awfull..) are more than welcome btw!

Thanks
    I have been brave and have drawn some boots!

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.