Thanks

From oils to Painter

I'm sure this has been asked before, but a quick search didn't bring up results. I'm familiar with oil painting, but painting in Painter eludes me. Is it normal for someone to have trouble bringing over technical skills? Should I try having a slightly different approach with digital art? It could also be that I'm not familiar enough with the program's interface and functions.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Once you know the tools, your oil skills will help tremendously. Check out my site, I did oils for 12 years ("old masters technique") and got to finished production level in Painter from sketch to finish (no scans) in less than 3 months transition. I still use a base of sepia and use glazes with layers. To be honest I couldn''t survive alone in Painter without Photoshop, Painter is the right brain for me and Photoshop the left. Everything on my site is from Painter from oils to inks since 2001.

Hope that helps your confidence!

Last edited by Wacom Knight; December 12th, 2003 at 04:36 AM.

Thanks
    I personally found that the transition from traditional oil to digital was not hard. Once you learn how to use the new medium (digital) just begin by approaching your subject matter much as you would have with oil. If I can be of any help, drop me a line and I will give what insights I can.

Regards
    Don

Thanks
    Thanks. I think I should read the manual before getting frustrated figuring things out.

Thanks
    I think one of the major pitfalls that people fall into when using digital mediums (Painter especially) is in the thinking that, for example, "because I want an oil look I must use the oil brush tool." However, because the digital mediums are only simulating those traditional mediums rather than matching them exactly the results are often different. I believe the key in approaching digital medium is not to treat it as you would your traditional mediums but instead to treat it, like it is, as it's own beast. Try simply changing your thinking to, "This is the look I want, what brush gets me closest?"

Take my stuff for example. I use Painter's Chalk tool with some slight tweaks to the bleed and resaturation, and the watercolor tool to do my stuff.

Brian
    These grapes taste like Fresno! -- Steinbeck

Thanks
    Brian!

Really good point, I myself forgot to mention such a thing. Like Brian I approach it that way also, I found the "oil" tools rather lacking. So I use the Pen tool, and a customized pallette knife made from the Sargent brush. With all the tools available I find I use like 5 to do my paintings with.:alien2: