Art: Ringling (and other art school portfolio)

View testimonialsView Artwork
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Ringling (and other art school portfolio)

I have about 2 weeks until I send this thing in... (applying for Ringling Computer Animation)

I am aware of some problems as I have been running around asking for help like nobody's business. I have 15 hours of life drawing next week to try and work out the weak pieces. Plus 2 days of zoo drawing coming up which I hopefully will get a couple nice drawings from...

so hit me- how the hell can I make this better. Things to take out, get in. all comments will be greeted with much love.

Thanks for any help, I need it. Gotta get to a warmer climate QUICK!

-PZ-

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Smile

ok PZ great work i like you stuff. since you have a dead line and i know how it is with wanting your portfolio to be the best it can be. cause i too am sending mine out to art center at the end of this month.

here it comes PZ

1 - is that a sp? looks good, i like the hatching you did it is very nicely done. now the problems that i see are some basic structure of the head, your eyes are to big and the left is bigger than it would really be. also your mouth looks like it is straight on and not wrapped around the jaw. your neck seems to be squashed slightlty too. that is really all i see that i think you could improve on. i hope that wasn't to discouraging i just know how it is when you don't get people to be objective, it is good work

2 - your gestures are really good i like them alot i don't see anything wrong with them.

3 - the guy in the chair has some praportion issues that need to be addressed. in my opion i would try not to include figure drawings that had obvious issues in them. i do think you should include figures, just make sure they are you absolute best ones to date.

4 - the rest looks fine to me i would just try to clean up your sketches a little just to make them more clear to what it is that you were interested in when you drew them at the time. the painting is really nice i like your colour choice

great work PZ i hope i wasn't to rough, just trying to help you out that is all so please don't go throw away your drawings. good luck and post more if you want help.

-Jesse

"it isn't about how you draw, but how you feel about what you're drawing..."

Portfolio - Blog

Current Activities: [Sketchbook]

Currently Playing: [Skyrim]

Currently Reading: [WWZ]

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    j.mac - thank you so much... definitely not too rough, and thanks for such an in-depth critique. Exactly what I needed... more self portraits will be done this week!

ok and I have been talking to one of my teachers about this... I think I should have something in there that shows progress from an idea to a final piece.

I have a sketchbook sketch that I made into a painting and a black and white 2d composition. My teacher really thinks I should put the progress and final for the 2d composition in the portfolio. I have no idea if either of these fit in.

sorry for the bad pictures but you all get the idea...

sketch and painting-

2d design-

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    .PZ. - ok cool! i have to agree with your teacher schools love to see that you know how start and finish a project so including the thumbnails all the way to a comp is a good idea. i owuld probably just do one maybe two but don't get carry away. Also don't put anything in your portfolio just for the sake of having it in.

ok time crit...

1 - the painting is a great concept!it isn't a very strong piece though. the initial sketch is great but with the painting it doesn't carry over the feeling that you have in the drawing.

2 - the 2d design one is a good one "imo" that would be something i would include in my portfolio. really shows a good process from start to finish.

there you go .PZ. post more if you have anything else you want to be looked

-Jesse

"it isn't about how you draw, but how you feel about what you're drawing..."

Portfolio - Blog

Current Activities: [Sketchbook]

Currently Playing: [Skyrim]

Currently Reading: [WWZ]

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I see you have some nude life drawings. Are you a transfer or did you just have an abberantly good high school art program?

Paul Rhye

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    bio and j.mac - thank you so much. I still have this week to try and get substitutes for the not so good ones. but now that I look at them again. there are definitely some ones to toss. yikes thank you thank you thank you

pvrhye- Nope, definitely not high school. this last year was spent doing nothing but trying to get good enough to get accepted to ringling. I am currently a student in the art fundamentals program at Sheridan college in Oakville, Ontario.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey there PZ. Thought I'd share with you a little bit of input.
    I'm currently applying to RSAD as well. My intended major is CA. I wanted to mail out my app package mid november, but had a death in the family I had to deal with, so now I will be sending it out on the 11th... Which is basically just the day when my slides/artwork is returned from the Photolab.

I did PreCollege at RSAD over the summer, and they hammered a lot into us about portfolios... So I hope some of this helps you.

1) Figure drawing is a huge plus, it's great that you got that They want to see how you do study, and capture form. So include at least 4 to 6 quick drawings, like some of your better gestural drawings, for instance.

2) Do some hand studies of your own hand, if you havn't already. I know it's cliched as hell to have hand studies in a portfolio, but it's just a really good subject to show your ability. Hold objects in some, and try to arrange a series in a page in a way that looks good. I also suggest spending a bit of time on one shading it, showing light source. Like I said, very typical, but this is what they've told me at Portfolio day and at PreCollege.

3) Definitely include some of the drawings on colored paper, it's a really good way to livin up a drawing.

4) As far as the 2D design goes... I'd be careful. I questioned a friend that is a Junior at RSAD about including some storyboards, and he told me to stay away from them, and again reiterated "get as much life/figure drawing as possible". I suggest just using your best judgement in this situation.

All your stuff looks pretty good man, I wish you luck. One more note... They told us at RSAD that Portfolio is the first and most important thing, and the next is your essay. So make sure you write something swell, heh...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You're going to Sheridan? In high school I was really intent on going there but never applied. Their animation program is pretty famous, no?

Are the other parts of their art department just as strong?

-Jas

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Sheridan? Congratulations!

PZ I really like your work espicially your technique. I'm quite happy to see you have understand of dark and light, although you may want to work on lightsourcing and such more. but nonetheless good stuff!

I like your gestures as well, keep them to a minimum however

I cant offer any great adivce as Dominie_Dirtch but I too am applying for next fall. I haven't sent in my slides yet however, due to my nack of wanting to have a FINISHED FINISHED portfolio. I think I'm stretching my limit

I lvoe your color work, be proud, its good.

I would recommend doing a self portrait study, in the mirror, for as long as you can. OUtline it in contour then work on shade and 9include gesture, so smile or a bit etc Good stuff man

good luck

http://home.tampabay.rr.com/agentj/oldport/

old portie from last year
    i almsot got in, came on 5th in wait list

"Every child is an artist. The problem is how to remain an artist once he grows up."
    - Pablo Picasso
    :dA:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    when you decide your pieces make sure you put quality over quantity.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Last edited by beechdbum; July 21st, 2008 at 11:33 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Holy shit. I love these forums, everyone in my side of the art world is involved in conceptart, I swear...

Dude, I was still sporting the monk cut right up until last week, it was grown down to my ears. I had to cut it for a funeral. I would have let it keep on growing though, haha...

I agree with the prints or slides things as well, admissions hate it when you submitt a disc full of Jpegs... Just doesn't look as professional.

Heh, thanks Ben, but only 2 of those went in my portfolio, I actually have a whole new set of 18 pieces that I'm sending out to RSAD. When you sending in? Or have you already? Anyways, good luck man, cool to run into you.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Indeed. I have a friend who did PreCollege at CalArts, pretty intense program. I checked out your deviant stuff, the head/skull digital illustration is excellent man, I'm glad to hear you've kept on track with your art. I'm filming a movie at Christmas, and getting a WACOM finally... Once I have that, I'll be posting here on CA like freakin mad. As it is now, it's a pain in the ass to scan my drawings on my old shitty SCSI scanner... heh

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    haha, thanks everyone. Nice to get some lively conversation in here too. Hope to see you at Ringling next year. (and post your portfolios when you have a chance!)

I had heard that scanning the drawings and taking digital pictures to print out might be a bad idea, as in some schools won't even look at them. whatever, its what I had access to for now. But yeah, go for the slides if you can.

spork- yeah Sheridan is pretty strong in everything, some of the most talented/hard working people I have ever met. Even stuff like photography is pretty nice. Definitely an inspiring place to be. But Florida is WARM.

Seriously, thanks everyone! I have to get to bed though so continue to chat amongst yourselves... Actually we could head to the "schools and art education forum" Agent made a Ringling thread we could all go party in.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey, if you have a digital camera you can get your pics into photoshop and clean them up and format them to slide size. You can then send the files to companies over the internet that will make 35mm slides out of your digital file. Some places are expensive but you have to look around, preferably local places. It's nice to square everything up and easy to reshoot a drawing if its in bad light.

About your portfolio: If you have time before you send it in, do a few more self portraits or some more drawings like you did on the toned paper. Those seem to have the most confident lines. Also, try to portray a better range of values and include the environment around your object, even if it is only hints of value here and there.

Good luck man

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Dominie_Dirtch I sent a disc full of Jpegs
    I almsot got in

I think mainly its color that I didn't focus on and how rushed I was in my work.

I should AIM you all, mine's agentJ64 so AIM me and ill add you

I really hope we can al lget in, this is awesome. It's great to see I'm not the only one trying Heck I've already met a girl who wants to go into the CA program as well at my school. SHe's using a Powerpoint presentation (and if she'd read respond i'd tell her not to sincei ts a nono but..) - She's a damn fine illustrator.

I haven't tried for CalArts although it was on my list. Reason being is I'm in florida myself, so thank god for grants

Have you all looked into Full Sail or UCF? They're mediaocre in comparison but pretty good 2nd choices. University of Tampa has a damn good art program as well (traditional though) What I'm taking now.

Just suggestions.

"Every child is an artist. The problem is how to remain an artist once he grows up."
    - Pablo Picasso
    :dA:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I've looked into Full Sail, and just didn't think it was right for me. The idea of paying 35 grand for an associates degree was the primary thing that turned me off towards them... I think I had checked into several gaming companies at the time and they were all looking for people with 4 year degrees.

I would love it if you guys talked to me, it's great to get ideas and feedback from eachother, and I think we are all feeling the huge pressure of the CA dealine right now... I certaintly feel lucky to have most of my stuff completed. If I'm not on the AIM s/n in my profile, try OzzgoodSlaughter

Oh, and I'm from Atlanta, so I havn't really looked at any of the local universitys down in FL.

I just checked out the RSAD thread over in the Colleges forum, and I find it annoying, to say the least. My experience at pre-college was the best thing in my entire life. Every single person had the same huge passion as me, everyone with the exception of about 2 people in a 82 person program worked their asses off. I slept about 3 hours a night (Beech can attest to that) and loved every friggin minute of it. College is definitely what you make of it, you have to find the right people and the right teachers, and you have to keep your personal drive and focus up no matter what.

Bleh, enough ranting, maybe I should post something like this in the other forum, heh...

One more thing, I also have no cash what so ever, I paid my own way through PreCollege that I had saved up the entire year. I'm not worried about being in debt because I don't plan on being a failure. Plus, there is always grants, scholarships, and bank robbery.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Last edited by beechdbum; July 21st, 2008 at 11:33 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I agree. Someone make one and point me to it, I'll post everything that I can from my portfolio, and give any feedback that I can.

I suggest using Agents thread actually. I'll post some art there to get things rolling.
    http://conceptart.org/forums/showthr...threadid=14914

Last edited by Dominie_Dirtch; December 9th, 2003 at 02:41 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i feel for you guys, i was in the same position last year. i took slides with a 35mm camera. mostly figure drawings and paintings, a few colored concept drawings.

agent- i'm not sure how much attention they pay to color work, i think theyre really just looking for drawing skills. but then again who knows, their admissions process doesnt make much sense to me.

dominie dirtch-what part of atlanta are you from? i'm from gwinnett.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Last edited by beechdbum; July 21st, 2008 at 11:34 PM.

Members who have read this thread: 1