Art: Mermaid sculpt *Hi I am new*

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Hybrid View

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Mermaid sculpt *Hi I am new*

This is my 1st post here. I am new and have been lurking you great artists for a few weeks now. I am not as talented as most of you, but I do try and I hope to learn more and improve in my work. Here is my newest piece. With the amazing support of my husband I am now a full time artist. Let me know what you think.

Medium: Prosculpt fairy light.
    Size: 9-10 Inches

Mermaid sculpt *Hi I am new*

Last edited by gardens of utopia; January 20th, 2009 at 11:23 AM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    thats a very good peice. the skintone, hair and face make her look verymuch alive. keep up the good work and keep posting.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Android4 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Woww I honestly was afraid to post here. I love all of your comments. Thank you so much. This being my 1st mermaid/4th adult sculpt, and very small I was afraid to sculpt the scales. I thought they would break off when being handled. I do agree with you though that maybe I should have done it or at least tried. My next mermaid I will definatly be doing this. Does anyone have an idea of maybe how I can achieve the scale look without them breaking? I would really appreciate it. All of your comments helped boost my confidence and passion for my work even more so. I am always afraid to show my work. Regardless of what people may think thoguh I would never stop even if the comments were outright negative. My husband is a major support and he took over homeschooling our eldest so I can live my dream as an artist.

As for the eyes, I sculpt my own and make the faux glass eye technique using printed irises, fimo gel and white clay... Or I paint them on. The only thing that I buy that is not altered much is the hair. it is tibitian lamb hair and I use tacky glue to apply it. The fin incase anyone would want to know is made from angelina film. Before I prop her into the oven with the fin finally attached I make sure it has a very thin coat of TLS just incase. We wouldnt want a melted fin Though I heard angelina film doesnt melt in the oven ,but I am afraid to try.

What a wonderful bunch of messages to wake up to.

Thank you very much

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Very Nice!!!
    The hair is beautiful as is everything else! Great Job!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to SoulWraith For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I had a chance to dive into your site today and take a look at where you're coming from with your work. It's very apparent - especially from a quick review of your available portfolio - that you have a love for what you do and are very fortunate to be supported to pursue your craft in an unrestrained fashion (well, as unrestrained as day-to-day life can be). The baby sculpture I saw was both raw and real, while your fantasy work reveals a fascination for things elegant, yet otherworldly.

We've had a few doll artists join us here recently (Sleetwealth comes to mind), so you will find that you're in good company here.

For this piece, you've clearly shown a command of anatomy and a good sense of detail. The beaded accents around the breasts and the split-tail are eye-catching. Even the way that you've chosen to present the face - soft and thoughtful - easily draws the viewer in.

I do have to admit that I wished you'd sculpted in the scales rather than use a tool to create the aquatic details. While they're serviceable in some regards, they do take away from the care you've applied to the rest of the piece (especially the crafting of the tail). I hope you'll consider that for future projects as it really does punch up the "impact factor" when seeing a piece for the first time.

Overall, this is a great doll to make introductions with and I'm certain we'll be seeing more from you.

~KU

... a cry went up into the shuddering air, and faded to a shrill wailing, passing with the wind, a voice bodiless and thin that died, and was swallowed up, and was never heard again in that age of this world.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to KingUnicorn For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    really nice sculpture but i will have to agree with kingunicorn about the scales.

but really nice work on detailing.
    i will be really interested to see some wip photos. also can you share any information about the hair? what did you use? and how? i always hated to sculpt the detail of hair! :0)

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Fovos For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Welcome to CA! Just wanted to say that I think your mermaid's beautiful. I've been interested in doing some OOAK (One of a kind) sculpts for some time but have no idea where to get hair, eyes, etc. So, yeah, we can always learn something new.

-Mike Cross

Sculpting Thread|My Website| DeviantArt |My Blog
    -Also on FB and Twitter

12. The Following User Says Thank You to VulgarDragon For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    What a nice piece. Great work.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to One Eyed Terror For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This little lady really is very pretty. You did a lovely job arranging her hair.

For the scales you could use a scale tool. I bought mine on ebay. It's basically a piece of small diameter copper tubing cut at an angle, and set into a piece of dowel. You cut the scales either before or after baking. Some people like to bake, cover with a very thin skin of translucent (not the liquid), then cut into that. When done correctly, it has a very nice effect.

Hope this helps.
    ~~Willow

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Congratulations on being able to do this full time
    I think your work is wonderful, All the elements that you use, make it look very realistic,with a lovely charm to it

Good work

Earhole Bongsplat

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks so much guys!!
    Willow I have that tool. I too bought it on ebay but she is so small and the scale tool I find is a little too big on her. I will have to find a smaller one or find a new technique. Thanks again

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Amazing work! skin color and tail details are great, I'm very interested in the faux glass eye technique, I hope you show us how is make it someday. congratulations!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hello and welcome gardens of utopia!

I'm a poster, lurker, poster and lurker even more here.. and I don't think we're the only ones!

Anyway, I just wanted to start off by saying that I always love seeing 'one of a kind' sculptors in here, which isn't that often really. I've always been a geat admirer of wonderful mermaids, fairies and other enchanted creatures with realistic looking features, with glass eyes and real hair. They fascinate me, and that artist 'Wendy Froud' has a book and few dvd's out that I'd love to check out some time.

I was having a chat via email to one of my friends here, 'Dark Power' who is a genius stop motion animation dude, and we both talked about how it's funny that most of us artists in here are very much into our scary and not so good looking dudes, who have claws, sharp teeth, more than the average number of limbs, and monster that would bite yer noggin off. So.. it really is refreshing to see something so 'pretty' and 'nice'. (I get the same 'Wow' feeling when looking at MariahC's thread who made a beautiful Pegasus)

The only thing I'd like to suggest is that the face looks a tiny bit flat, so I'd suggest maybe working a little bit on future sculpts. When working on the face, try looking at it from different angles. And I'd take a look at a few anatomy references of the human head. But apart from that, it's very well done and very realistic looking.. The tail is faultless! And I'm loving the paint job! It's inspiring my friend, and I do hope to see more from you.

Thanks for sharing!

Last edited by dreamsorcerer; January 29th, 2009 at 10:31 AM.
    Check out my scary monster thread!
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=109738

Want lotsa sculpture resources? Add some if you want to!
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=154013

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey Janis, nice to see you here!!! i love your mermaid, she is beautiful!!!

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.