Can anyone help me with perspective?

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

I'm really having a hard time learning perspective. I've gotten a lot books to help me, but some of books are really hard to understand and comprehend. Here is an example. Can anyone explain to me what the author, Loomis, means by this:

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think you're going to have to expand on your question here. I understand what Loomis is describing, but I don't know what you don't understand about it to explain.

Did you try to copy the example or are you trying to glean the knowledge by just looking? A great many of Loomis's examples are essentially exercises that need to be explored to understand how they work.

~R

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for the reply.

Anyhow, I'm just having a really hard time learning perspective. I thought it was going to be a walk in the park, until I started reading books that actually started to explain how perspective works. In some of my art classes in highschool, all the teacher showed us how to do was make a horizon line and two vanishing points then connect, etc to form a box. She never went into detail about perspective and how it actually works, like these books I'm reading do.

But, yeah I'm trying to copy the example. I got lost after the author went past number 2 and I do not know if I'm suppose to follow every step exactly. For example, it says to draw this line after 3 then this line after 4 and so on. I'm also trying to explore these exercises, but I can't because I do not fully understand what is being taught.

Um, do you have msn? I could use the help.

Last edited by CyberGhost; January 20th, 2009 at 01:10 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well, I would suggest to keep reading and never give up. People here probably wont and really can't help you or can't understand what you're really trying to get across, like the one guy who replied. I think if you keep reading those books, you'll master perspective and will be able to help others one day with your new skills. Best of luck man. I know it's hard trying to learn things, but if you don't give up, you'll make it. So, forget about asking questions here, and just spend that time reading for yourself. Best of luck.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    A better resource for you might be David Chelsea's Perspective for Comic Book Artists. It takes a very step-by-step approach to teaching perspective.

Even though there's a few weird quirks in how he does it, it's generally a solid book and should give you a strong foundation.

~R

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for the encouragement Posterboy! I finally figured out what Loomis was trying to explain. It took a long time, but I think I'm finally getting the hang of it.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.