Sketchbook: A visual story of one art student's journey + more drivel.. 8 13 13 updates.. - Page 20
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 20 of 28 FirstFirst ... 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 LastLast

Thread: A visual story of one art student's journey + more drivel.. 8 13 13 updates..

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Dope Fiend - no worries - I appreciate you taking the time to say what you think ! Thank you for visiting !

Demotyme - thank you!

The Geek - and the harder you work, the harder I work and.. oh wait that doesn't make any sense - thanks for your good thoughts!

@thenavigator - which drawing ? there are many. I'd be happy to talk about drawing and how to get better. Simply put however it - to me- is about good, quality practice, taking advantage of good teachers ( both in watching them intently as they do what they do and being open to their feedback on your work and how to improve). If you want to be really good, plan to draw almost every day and go to every workshop you can stand. Do your project work like each one will be the best thing you have ever done and you want to get it in a show ( for instance). Start with that.. and you'll go places!

@Marian - thank you - always great to hear from you!

@Prsnsweeney - Very kind of you to man! Thank you. Yeaah.. oil painting.. well the better your comfort with excellent drawing skills - the better foundation for painting. Next - is value - being able to manage the values in paint ( even in basic monochrome - it's not easy) - then - color - and with drawing you have hue, value, chroma and edges! Wait, I forgot to mention color harmony and design ! Ok so there's a lot to sort out in painting. I often fail in my study paintings and just when I think I understand something, I see how much there is to learn. I tried to see if you had any paintings to look at but mostly I saw your drawing work. Post some and I can take a look if you like!

below a head study from today - 30 or so minutes.. in charcoal on newsprint.. from life..

Kevin

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by kevinwueste; March 17th, 2011 at 01:00 AM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kevinwueste For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hahahahahaha great i look forward to an eternity of learning and ya deffinitely will post those soon although i dont have very many and its all monochromatic but any thoughts are appreciated and my drawing is what im most comfertble in and its the most portable medium so i can draw anywhere (which is good cause i usually draw in school during my classes)

4. The Following User Says Thank You to prsnsweeney For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Way to go Kevin, very Glen Orbik.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Marian Rowling For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    nice one day I'm gonna be great at sketching like this

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    so i'm back to apologize once more, i've been doing more life drawings, and i had no right to say shit. they're extremely hard

but i have a few questions if you don't mind.

when approaching a pose, where do you generally tend to start, and progress from there..torso to hips to legs, to arms, etc...?

and for values, do you sweep across the form first laying down the base value, and go in from there to build up the shadows and highlights? i'm struggling with getting a convincing set of values

thanks, lookin forward to the next update

...the imperfections make it interesting...

[sketchbook] [deviantart]

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    your work is great to look at, thanks for sharing. keep it up.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    love the studies, very encouraging!

ThomasM is offline Artist in training.... Level 11 Gladiator: Essedarii
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,024 Times in 879 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Saved almost every image in this sketchbook in my learning folder - great as always kevin. Keep on doing what you're doing, but then you don't need me to say that!

Sketchbook: INSATIABLE CURIOSITY

Tumblr:http://lovegraphite.tumblr.com/

"We make our own fortunes and we call them fate" - Benjamin Disraeli

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'd love to be able to handle form the way you do.

Your figures look so soft and thick, I love inspecting them.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    amazing sketchbook! your work is very inspirational

art is never finished, only abandoned~Leonardo da Vinci

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Sick sketchbook man! your definitely an aspiration. Keep it up! would love your comments on my stuff.

Peace:

Behind every great master is a great student...

Imagination is more important than knowledge- Albert Einstein...
    _________
    NEW SKETCHBOOK -- http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...40#post3743640

OLD SKETCHBOOK: http://conceptart.org/forums/showthr...25#post2543225

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I really dont have any crits here but your portraits are very lovely

Talent and Creativity are yours to use and keep

[S K E T C H B O O K]

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    That charcoal work is hot stuff.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    very inspiring times a million zillion

Sketchbook

my subconscious does not stop begging my conscious to draw.
    hmm does that mean im a slave to my subconscious?
    at least it doesnt beg for crack. ha.

thesadpencil is offline Unfortunate Incident of Trial and Error Level 7 Gladiator: Samnite
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    excellent sb. your use of line and tone is so well crafted and brilliant. keep up the great work!

To live is to create, to create is to live. Without art and music, I do not know how I would get by in my day to day life.

http://conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=115997

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I was just wondering what kind of paper and pencils do you use? I love the super soft delicate strokes, but when I try to pull it off the grainyness of the paper always shows through.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Please note, I am teaching a quick studies/quick painting class at Laguna College of Art and Design - May 23 through June 10 if any of you would like to attend please contact the school! It will be fun and you will through your painting fears to the ground ( mostly!).

Quote Originally Posted by Dope Fiend View Post
    so i'm back to apologize once more, i've been doing more life drawings, and i had no right to say shit. they're extremely hard

but i have a few questions if you don't mind.

when approaching a pose, where do you generally tend to start, and progress from there..torso to hips to legs, to arms, etc...?

and for values, do you sweep across the form first laying down the base value, and go in from there to build up the shadows and highlights? i'm struggling with getting a convincing set of values

thanks, lookin forward to the next update

my answers: It does depend on how long a post ,- for gestures a pretty quick oval and some attitude of the head indicators ( like 10 seconds worth) and then I try to draw a long line that shows the flow of the gesture.. ( usually from the pit of the neck through the pelvis or the flow of the hip from a general shoulder area. a back pose will begin w/the gesture of the spine. longer poses (10 mins and beyond) I will block in the figure very generally and will begin with the head and key shapes there before moving down the figure.

values and forms are a challenge in short drawings - indicated key forms lightly and then creating form shadows and cast shadows all pretty simultaneously is my current process. I hope that helps and good luck w/you work!

stabby2468 - for quick drawings I tend to favor Wolff's Carbon 2,4 and some 6bs; Conte Noire 2b and HB pencils and Generals 2b.. in that order - all these drawings unless they are graphite are on smooth newsprint ( not rough - no!).

Thank you everyone for you very kind thoughts.. I will have a few updates soon.. mostly paintings at the mo' - first is a quick study portrait - about 1.5 hours or so on masonite; followed by an in-progress work of a wonderful model at AAU - will post progress as I get to work on that more; a charcoal edge study ( afro girl), some gestures I did a bit ago .. Oh the very finished painting of my classmate is in the batch of things as well.. Tendai - the last study of a dark-skinned model - it did not get very far and will likely be painted over so .. the light of day for her is here!

and thanks for taking a look!

Attached Images Attached Images                  

21. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to kevinwueste For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Love the paintings in the last post. Especially the last one, the tones you got going on her chest are really nice. Keep up the good work, very inspiring!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Love the paintings in the last post. Especially the last one, the tones you got going on her chest are really nice. Keep up the good work, very inspiring!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    damn those are amazing man

p sage is offline in pursuit of hot lines Level 14 Gladiator: Dimacheri
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,666 Times in 1,468 Posts
    Follows
    Following

Thumbs up

Incredible painting in the first one... the subterrainian things you're doing to me there.... Sophie. Wow.

Thinking connects desire with creation.
    How good are you?

The Road to Perdition
    clog

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Still great work going on here!

I do have a question for you:
    How was it that you finally decided to do this? And have you completely stopped doing anything else? (for a day-job I mean). I'm 23 now, and struggling in deciding between working in my field of expertise (I was trained as a Cultural Scientist, specialized in Art Policy) or starting another study to really develop my painterly skills. It's just hard to see a future in this line of work: yes you end up with a great set of skills, but if there's no money in it, it will eventually become what it is now to me: a hobby... I do have the same feel however: like I enjoy painting and drawing more than anything (next to making music) and it's hard to make a choice.

Don't know how you eventually made the decision to fully pursue this career - much respect to you, it's really paying off! - so I'm curious to know your decision-making process.

All the best to you!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

How was it that you finally decided to do this? And have you completely stopped doing anything else? (for a day-job I mean). I'm 23 now, and struggling in deciding between working in my field of expertise (I was trained as a Cultural Scientist, specialized in Art Policy) or starting another study to really develop my painterly skills. It's just hard to see a future in this line of work: yes you end up with a great set of skills, but if there's no money in it, it will eventually become what it is now to me: a hobby... I do have the same feel however: like I enjoy painting and drawing more than anything (next to making music) and it's hard to make a choice.

Don't know how you eventually made the decision to fully pursue this career - much respect to you, it's really paying off! - so I'm curious to know your decision-making process.

All the best to you!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,102 Times in 925 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    very exquisite work.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Pretty awesome as always - that girl on the couch has very realistic lighting, bravo

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    awsome awsome

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Spawn2 View Post

All the best to you!
    Hi Spawn,

Well - that's the million dollar question. Many ( not all) of the artists I admire came from money - and were free to pursue, say, at least 10 years of study - like John Singer Sargent, others lived quite tightly - like Van Gogh who struggled to make things work financially and artistically his whole life. Rembrandt and Vermeer came from solid middle-class families and by the time Rembrandt was 18 or so, he had his own studio and students! Vermeer was quite celebrated in his time and life in Delft and lived quite well for a working artist.
    Many of the successful artists today that I know ( not all!) are financially "able" or do not require income. Many target a job as an illustrator, matte painter or animator (or teacher) to support fine art work. I apologize for the mini-art history lesson - but - well the answer for me - I worked in the software industry for 15 years, did well enough, quit and found my way to art school. I don't require income from my work so do it for the love of it - strangely - people are buying works via my blog and I now have students of my own and will begin teaching classes soon as well one of the west coast art schools. Though my income from art puts me squarely below the poverty line at present!

Short answer, if you love it, you will figure out how to make it work in your life - regardless of what you need to do to pay rent and eat - be it art stuff or music or making driftwood furniture!

Thank you everyone for your comments! ( my pay for the day!!)

Kevin

32. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kevinwueste For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for sharing the updates! Just thanks for growing until here and showing what is possible on paper!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Sawweeeeeeeeeet work dude, keep up the good shit!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for the response Kevin.

Well, the question still remains: do I keep doing it 'on the side', just like my music endeavours. Or should it be my 'main thing', in order to become proficient enough? It's a real dubio for me, since I have been a selftaught musician and 'drawing-guy' all through my college years, and that already brought me to recording sessions with the best jazz-musicians in the Netherlands. It makes me rethink if there's a good option of doing this (painting) next to music and my job in the artworld. On the other hand: you always feel like a cheat then... as if somehow you're just not as good 'REAL GUYS'

I don't really care that much if people buy or like my work; just like 'music' it's my own thing. But I do have to make a living to finally get out of my parents' home. I'm the kind of guy that assimilates things very fast into his own work/playing. I might see a certain technique or form, and just start adding that to my skills. Which concludes in me spending many hours practicing, but rarely really finish a project.

Currently I've become a temporary replacement for the local art conservator, which is nice. But it's not like it's my dream to be in that position, among many contemporary art that I just don't like. (some exceptions)
    I'd love to have the chance to study with a great painter...

Oh well, enough about me!

Kudos to you Kevin, for this great blog, and opening my eyes that there still is some really great painting going on in the world!!! Despite all the conceptual and abstract 'yada yada.

Last edited by Spawn2; April 29th, 2011 at 11:22 AM.

Page 20 of 28 FirstFirst ... 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 112