Sketchbook: A visual story of one art student's journey + more drivel.. 8 13 13 updates.. - Page 18
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 18 of 28 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    what classes are you going to take in the spring? The graphite portrait of the woman in the hat above is awesome.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Really nice quality work, I can see you have improved a lot from the 1st page of this thread. Keep up the good work, I want to see some more! ;]

My Sketchbook

Life is a long lesson in humility.

ThomasM is offline Artist in training.... Level 11 Gladiator: Essedarii
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,024 Times in 879 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Kevin I have looked through this entire sketchbook now and I was blown away. I ordered Tony Ryder's figure drawing book and I have to say its a great read. I haven't finished yet but I'm learning something useful on each page so thanks for that.

Keep on studying hard.

Sketchbook: INSATIABLE CURIOSITY

Tumblr:http://lovegraphite.tumblr.com/

"We make our own fortunes and we call them fate" - Benjamin Disraeli

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for the gestures, facial expressions, high end rendering and sketching! Keep on posting every piece in high resolution, please! I also would love to see steps of the upcoming long time drawings!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by ThomasM View Post
    just out of interest - you are left handed I'm guessing? these last updates are great as usual so keep up the good work
    Thomas - yes - the dead give-away is most often the slant of the stroke.. thanks for the note!

whisper - thank you (and yes! LH)

Reok - thanks muchly!
    Marian Rowling

Hi Kevin loving the updates. I really admire how few lines you are able to use and yet capture such expressive poses. You always make me want to try harder. I can sympathize with the poor lighting you mention as I have the same problem at my class which makes it very difficult even when squinting away. Do you think in these situations it would be better to just use the model as a starting point and rely more on your knowledge of lighting forms? I don't have that knowledge yet myself but I'm sure with your experience you do.
    Hi Marian! At school there should ALWAYs be good light. IF there's not - can I humbly suggest being a pest so they get you a strong, clear, single light source ? The only times I have problems is/are at the local, public drawing groups - they mostly have LOTS of spots that create a mess of shadows and forms. I do try to simplify a bit but not much as I don't want to over-assume what I don't really have in front of me. Good lighting is, along with great models and great teachers ( and tools!) our best friend! I will follow up with some thoughts on your thread - took a look today!

Odayga Really dig your life drawings and I love your linework
    Thank you Odayga - thanks for stopping by and writing!

wasabi89 - thank you !!

Slobosaurus what classes are you going to take in the spring? The graphite portrait of the woman in the hat above is awesome.
    Yo Mike! I will be taking Clothed Figure painting w/Henry Yan, Adv Figure Painting with Zhaoming Wu and Clothed Figure drawing with Glen Orbik - you ?
    Great to hear from you man - great drawings as ever!

stalsby Really nice quality work, I can see you have improved a lot from the 1st page of this thread. Keep up the good work, I want to see some more! ;]
    stalsby - thank you - I hope so ! That was now 2+ years ago! onward, hopefully upward - ho!

ThomasM

Kevin I have looked through this entire sketchbook now and I was blown away. I ordered Tony Ryder's figure drawing book and I have to say its a great read. I haven't finished yet but I'm learning something useful on each page so thanks for that.

Keep on studying hard.
    Thomas - wow - thanks man (again!) - Tony's book rocks - as does the man himself. If you ever get the chance to learn from him - his voice is often in my head ( sadly there are many!) and .. well - such a great guide and teacher and friend! The book for me when I first got it was like a magical mystery but spending a year with him helped me understand it so much more .. great stuff!

surus Thanks for the gestures, facial expressions, high end rendering and sketching! Keep on posting every piece in high resolution, please! I also would love to see steps of the upcoming long time drawings!
    Hiya Surus - thank you.. I'll see if I can share more process in some future things ( if they come out ok !) - cheers and thanks all for such thoughtful commentary!

Kevin

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to kevinwueste For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Simply amazing! I never did anything really with charcoal wow I will have to take a look at that now. I can't believe how delicate these pieces are its crazy how it looks so smooth but its not blended and just using the right amount of values in the right places. I cant afford to go to art school can you send me your syllabus maybe lol I am trying to self teach myself still and planning on eventually taking some real life drawing classes. Let me know either way its great to see your progression over these 18 something pages of posts. Your work is something you gotta see up close forreal cause it is truly unbelievable

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    amazing lines! WOW!Thank you for sharing!

Thanks
    Thanked 4,516 Times in 2,456 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    gorgeous studies!! you are a prince of pencils
    super inspiring

Last edited by Velocity Kendall; January 29th, 2011 at 04:21 PM.
    sb most art copied to page 1
    Weapons of Mass Creation 2011 ::: Add your favourites!
    facebook: Alface Killah

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Very awesome!! I especially love your figure drawings and portraits.

Sketchbook...Please tear it to shreds, Thank You!

~You’ve got to get the fundamentals down because otherwise the fancy stuff isn’t going to work.~Randy Pausch

karmiclychee Tulokyn

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Like your works!

sketchbook
    my web Looking for a work

Помогите c активностью форуму-скетчбуку mentalant.com

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Really good studies! great pencils! nice sense of volume and masses! and especially love your speed and looses lines!

13. The Following User Says Thank You to DANKA For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I am seriously blown away by your work man, you have really managed to capture the movement and life in your figure drawings. Super impressive, makes me feel like my figures are too stiff, so thanks for the schoolin

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by hawktime2010 View Post
    Simply amazing! I never did anything really with charcoal wow I will have to take a look at that now. I can't believe how delicate these pieces are its crazy how it looks so smooth but its not blended and just using the right amount of values in the right places. I cant afford to go to art school can you send me your syllabus maybe lol I am trying to self teach myself still and planning on eventually taking some real life drawing classes. Let me know either way its great to see your progression over these 18 something pages of posts. Your work is something you gotta see up close forreal cause it is truly unbelievable
    Hawktime - thank you! I don't really have a syllabus and if you saw one it wouldn't help much ( trust me). The most important thing I might say is to work work work on foundation things like understanding proportion, perspective, value and rhythm. All things I am still working on every day! Especially values in quick drawings - still so much to sort out! Keep working hard - I will too!

Kristoff - thank you !!

Velocity K - thank you - that made me laugh!

Nakhon - cheers mate!

n1frit - thank you and DANKA - thank you so much! I enjoy seeing your work as well ( and everyone's here!)

gerezon, I am pleased to hear that and while I feel I have a LONG way to go, I am hopeful.. sometimes!

a few new gestures from the last few days -

Attached Images Attached Images      

16. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to kevinwueste For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    these deliberate lines are freakin beautiful

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow Kevin you are still amazing me with how much character you capture with so few lines in these gestures. Also I'm now noticing those shadow shapes and appreciating them for what they truly are.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Your work is great - i like the characters' expressions the most
    Keep the good work goin' man! 5 star from me

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    you are something else!! great line work, very inspiring!!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Good lines, solid skill, love it!

Member of the Middle Class

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    wow great line quality. lots of character! are you useing conte on your figure drawings?
    great work

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I love your figure studies - so few lines, so filled with life and expression!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This sketchbook just inspired me for about 50 hours of drawing.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,102 Times in 925 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    you are such a fucking art stud.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    O may god o0 your sketchbook is such an inspiration !

To be or not to be , this is the question !

Help me drawing the head

My sketchbook

PS: Sorry for my bad English

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    when i fail to achieve quick values and form through such few line i'm back to studying the foundations you've already paved many times. thanks

don't stop posting!!

oh and may i ask? when approaching gestures, say 60-90 seconds, what are your thoughts, are you looking at the simple shapes, lines of bon structure? i'm working on line economy with my strokes and i always seem to have extraneous lines, etc.. and it doesn't accurately capture the pose as you've so beautifully done here.

thanks.

...the imperfections make it interesting...

[sketchbook] [deviantart]

28. The Following User Says Thank You to Dope Fiend For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Love the figure studies man, top notch stuff.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi Kevin, I've seen your SB and love your drawings. Great job! I wish you could give me some advices in my thread: http://conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=208699. What should I do to get better: more fast poses or concentrate in long poses to try to get experience?

Last edited by Cojac; February 26th, 2011 at 01:53 PM.

31. The Following User Says Thank You to Cojac For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Kevin, I really enjoy your shading technique. Its a treat for my eyes. limiting your shadow tones creates a simple yet more realistic result. You have a good understanding of light effects on shapes.

33. The Following User Says Thank You to Pamz1e For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

35. The Following User Says Thank You to tronrobot For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Dope Fiend View Post
    when i fail to achieve quick values and form through such few line i'm back to studying the foundations you've already paved many times. thanks

don't stop posting!!

oh and may i ask? when approaching gestures, say 60-90 seconds, what are your thoughts, are you looking at the simple shapes, lines of bon structure? i'm working on line economy with my strokes and i always seem to have extraneous lines, etc.. and it doesn't accurately capture the pose as you've so beautifully done here.

thanks.
    Hello .. uh - Dope Fiend! short gestures - most of these are 2, 5 and 10 I think with a few 1's and 20 minute ones tossed in and about - If I am on my game ( which is rare) I am thinking about the action of the figure:

from the back - what is the head to spine relationship - and I might draw a long line that represents that ; from the front - the head to sternum line and how it flows down the weighted leg. I also have extraneous lines but I erase them when they don't serve the drawing!!

head basis shape first - key indications for the brow, chin and usually the temple and zygomatic bone.. stuff like that.

one thing I will say is you are worried less perhaps about capturing what you are seeing accurately than you might be in designing a nice drawing. I would much rather that then an acurate, boring 2 minute gesture. So I try to push key things like the hip or leg or angle of contra-posto etc.,

Does that help ?

Quote Originally Posted by Cojac
    Hi Kevin, I've seen your SB and love your drawings. Great job! I wish you could give me some advices in my thread: http://conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=208699. What should I do to get better: more fast poses or concentrate in long poses to try to get experience?
    Hi cojac thank you and I will take a look! to get better, both will be useful, do you study Loomis - as in do LOTs of copies of his head and figure construction ? that will help. Also, reading J. H. Vanderpoel's book is a great tool. Also, moderin artists you admire - what are they doing that you are not, that you want to do ? copy their drawings with an emphasis on not just getting it right but discovering why they do something. When you get the "why" the rest becomese easier and you will see the model differently - more as a reference for designed drawing than something to copy.

Thank you everyone for your kind and thoughtful commentary! I am humbled.. some recent things bunching up in my drawing bag.. painting bag.. what not! note: on left of two girl heads, my teacher was either over my shoulder or grabbing my drawing tool - so that has a lot of his direct "influence"! and why it's so good, sigh..

Last edited by kevinwueste; February 27th, 2011 at 02:41 AM.

37. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to kevinwueste For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Missed one.. I think this was 20 and I worked on it a bit after to unify the design and shapes.. clothed figure III class with Glen O - Kevin

39. The Following User Says Thank You to kevinwueste For This Useful Post:

Page 18 of 28 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 ... LastLast