P.O.W.! Challenge 19--50 Feet Down

Join 500,000+ artists on ConceptArt.Org.

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,581 Times in 1,786 Posts

P.O.W.! Challenge 19--50 Feet Down

P.O.W.! Challenge 19
    Deadline: Sunday, February 1, 2009, 11:59 pm anywhere in the world.

Topic: 50 Feet Down

This one definitely has a LOT of room for interpretation. There are possibilities of caves, underwater, falling, wells, ancient alien kitchens buried for centuries, even a race where you drag yourself along by your fingernails, etc. You can interpret the art any way you wish, and the more creatively, the better. Any media. B&W or Color.

You can present your solution as a minimum of TWO to a tentative maximum of SIX pages which adhere to standard comic specs as below...and, yes, you can have the first or last (or both) as a splash page if you want. You can go to additional pages without asking if you have a decent idea that requires it--just don't get too extreme on page counts

Standard Comic Book Size:

--Trim size: 6 5/8" x 10 1/4"
    --Live art area: 6" x 9"
    --Bleed size before trimming: 6 7/8" x 10 1/2" (1/8" in all directions)

This thread will be the place you ask questions on this challenge, trash talk, post WIPs and post your final art. See the READ THIS FIRST thread for all specs.

Good luck.

P.O.W.! Challenge 20 will be posted before Sunday Midnight, February 1, 2009.

A little note here for all of you who have supported the P.O.W.! Challenges...thankyewthankyewthankyew...

Just a reminder--those of you who didn't get a chance to finish exactly the way you wanted to, or ran into deadline problems, remember there is a sticky section where you can post your stuff when you do get it up to speed.

No position or belief, whether religious, political or social, is valid if one has to lie to support it.--Alj Mary

Ironically, the concept of SIMPLICITY is most often misunderstood by simple-minded people. --Alj Mary
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Okay, okay, I know I've been MIA for the past couple of challenges, so I promise you now that I will... <cough> try <cough> to get something done for this challenge. What can I say? Things have been busy at my end... sorry.

See y'all in a couple of weeks.

Kieran Madden:Official Site

Click here for my all-new, super-happy DeviantArt page.

Thanks
    Sounds interesting...i have so many ideas i gotta narrow down! I hope i've got enough time to join in for this.

Thanks
    Hooray for WIPs!

Here is my first page.... uber, UBER rough first thoughts. I don't even think I'd call it a WIP... its more of a brain "blip". And don't you worry, I'll get her down to 50 ft. Hopefully in 3 pages or less... LOL!

EDIT: Added Page 2 rough idea.... I hope I can pull these off!! I'm thinking I won't get as far as coloring... thats for sure!

Attached Images Attached Images    
    Last edited by shannanigan; January 21st, 2009 at 04:44 AM.

Thanks
    Great start shannanigan...awesome to see someone besides arttorney have the dedication to start and post before crunch time.

FYI...I have started mine too, but am waiting on some Kitten Wisdom to address my question in the "Read This First" thread to see if I need to start over.

Love you kids...see you down below!

Thanks
    You ladies are all coming in here and showing me results. (I saw your WIP for #18 JazzW. I know you can do it.) Shamandalie, Shannanigan ... Press on. It doesn't get done unless you do it (See e.g. Sundance's entries. (Friendly dig), I still think you have good ability Sundance and I wish you could show off for us a little bit.)

I'm not sure if I can do this because I am working myself to exhaustion on legal stuff right now. I'm very happy some of the rest of you are here.

Thanks
    Hey I found this website called "Written Sound"... for people like myself who are always looking for just the right onomatopoeia to add!

I didn't see a Resources thread for POW so I didn't know where to post it... but I wanted to share!

9. The Following User Says Thank You to shannanigan For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Well...DAMN! I'm just gonna have to start one, ain't I...

Done as sticky... Thanks for the suggestion.

No position or belief, whether religious, political or social, is valid if one has to lie to support it.--Alj Mary

Ironically, the concept of SIMPLICITY is most often misunderstood by simple-minded people. --Alj Mary

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ilaekae View Post
    Well...DAMN! I'm just gonna have to start one, ain't I...

Done as sticky... Thanks for the suggestion.

You are SUPA FAST! Or should I say.... Whooooosh! LOL!

Thanks
    You know for a forum on sequential art there isn't a whole lot 'a action! Guess I'll break the silence...

Here are my cleaned up roughs... if there is such a thing. I think it flows pretty well. I do have a 3rd page but I'm still trying to work it out. I may just do these 2 for the challenge since the 3rd page is really just a "punchline" (and you see the top hat guy again). I got my 50' down already in the big bridge panel on Page 2.

Name:  Pow19_pg1_wip2.jpg
Views: 541
Size:  141.3 KB Name:  Pow19_pg2_wip2.jpg
Views: 546
Size:  129.8 KB

Thanks
    Ok...so I never finish shit. I get that. However...I must say that I have always had trouble with scripting the pannels. We had a script one challenge...but it 'twernt my cup o' tea. I have always tried to create a story that incorporates Marvel Characters...because, well...I want to pencil for Marvel and that just made sense to me.

So now...Ilaekae...you have removed the self-imposed "restriction" I placed on myself. Which is really nice, since apparently if I had ever completed a set of panels I would have been disquallified regardless.

At this point I am starting over. The really good thing...I have my story. It is basic, but solid for a comic. I have my characters...unique to me...and I feel that it could be a "universe" of my own mind that I can extend through multiple POW topics.

I will complete this one. Gaurenteed...no doubts. Thanks Ilaekae and Cookiedough for your responses in the Read This thread. Workshops coming up...need to make some current work for a portfolio review...

Motivaion = Achieved

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sundance For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    I am currently mourning the death of my laptop.

After several hours of surgery...it has apparently passed on.

Good thing pencils work for this fucking challenge.

Thanks
    I have re-named my laptop Lazarus.

Today it is alive and well... whatever... I'll take it!

Maybe you will see color from me. Probably not, but maybe. I was really hoping to do my 3CH in Illustrator to honor my subject matter " "...so we will see!

How 'bout this...

Triple posting

Maybe I'll go for four!

Thanks
    Thanked 2,277 Times in 625 Posts
    i better step in since arttorney is out of action.

Name:  POW_week_19_pg0.jpg
Views: 411
Size:  173.0 KB
    Name:  POW_week_19_pg1.jpg
Views: 409
Size:  194.9 KB
    Name:  POW_week_19_pg2.jpg
Views: 410
Size:  229.8 KB
    Name:  POW_week_19_pg3.jpg
Views: 413
Size:  336.9 KB
    Name:  POW_week_19_pg4.jpg
Views: 414
Size:  300.8 KB
    Name:  POW_week_19_pg5.jpg
Views: 410
Size:  324.1 KB

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Grief For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Yeah, where I'm at, I have time to make a piece of crap but not time to do a good job. People have rightfully complained to me elsewhere that if I am capable of doing a halfway decent job then why on Earth am I drawing pieces of crap? I am currently trying never to start anything around here I can't finish properly.

It looks like there will be some solid entrants, this time. Cool!

For writing purposes, I suppose one could always punch the 3CH generator a few times until it gives out a scenario that sings to you.

Thanks

Grief throws the Gauntlet

DAYMN, SON! That's a great set of panels! Hopefully, I'll make the time on Friday to take the Analog sketches and make 'em digital.

BTW, Arttorney: You don't do pieces of crap. You just have great design concepts. I hit up your sketchbook months ago and I find that your designs are probably the sickest part of your work. Hell... even the figs have great lines. I think your weakest part is composing in the panels (But... this is a comment I made to myself about the motorcycle panels).

-Deuce.Rok

Deuce.Rok

The Gallery
    My Gallery on CA

The SketchBook
    My Sketchbook on CA

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DeuceRok For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Do you mean the inside of each panel or how the panels themselves are arranged? I should probably crack a book about how to make comics, but I'm so busy right now all I can afford is some kibbutzing while I'm taking five or fifteen from work.

And Grief rocks. You should go see his sketchbook.

Thanks
    It's within each frame. You have a VERY classic style. For example, the way you choose to present each subject within a frame. My favorites for book recommendations are anything by Chris Hart, "How to Draw Comics the Marvel Way" and just pick up a few comics in general.

(Sufficed to say, this weeks submission will be heavily influenced by my reading of 'The Watchmen')

-Deuce.Rok

Deuce.Rok

The Gallery
    My Gallery on CA

The SketchBook
    My Sketchbook on CA

Thanks
    Thanked 2,277 Times in 625 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by arttorney View Post
    And Grief rocks. You should go see his sketchbook.
    i dunno why more people don't think this.
    Name:  scribble.jpg
Views: 394
Size:  210.4 KB
    oh yea... that's why.

look at me rip off tugelbend's silly comic into my own version.... which he says is just an edit of someone else's.

Ilaekae better not put this lil' scribble into the final poll... or else, OR ELSE THIS WILL HAPPEN. had to dig through my 2005 photobucket account for that.

[edit] hmph i just realized my text changes size in that last page. i wonder how that happened. i'll probably fix that before the deadline.

Last edited by Grief; January 27th, 2009 at 05:21 PM.

25. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Grief For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Grief View Post
    i dunno why more people don't think this.

Thats so hilarious.... and sad because its so true. I do that all the time.... I did it last week Monday to my friend Maryah. DOH!

Last edited by shannanigan; January 27th, 2009 at 09:31 PM.

Thanks
    GRIEF- lol

i got something for this, its still acookin ehehee

Yo Yo YO Panel of the Week POW

Needs Critique CrimsonBows

Obey the principle without being bound by it. LEARN, MASTER AND ACHIEVE!!!~ Bruce Lee

When one has no form, one can be all forms; when one has no style, he can fit in with any style.~ Bruce Lee

Thanks
    I gots sumphin', too. It's from so far out of left field it's in the next county...

Thanks
    Darn, i think i took too much than i can handle. Gonna inch myself outta this one. @_@
    shannanigan and Grief, good stuff!
    Looking forward for the rest!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,567 Times in 753 Posts
    I wanted to do this one but couldn't find time for something bigger than few doodles. Good luck everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by arttorney View Post
    For writing purposes, I suppose one could always punch the 3CH generator a few times until it gives out a scenario that sings to you.
    That's a really nice idea. I might use it not only for POW! but some short comics in general .

Thanks
    almost done with mine, just about 1 or 2 more pages and i be done before the deadline

Yo Yo YO Panel of the Week POW

Needs Critique CrimsonBows

Obey the principle without being bound by it. LEARN, MASTER AND ACHIEVE!!!~ Bruce Lee

When one has no form, one can be all forms; when one has no style, he can fit in with any style.~ Bruce Lee

Thanks
    Hmm.. i guess i forgot about the whole name border thing. I hope it's not much of a problem. Anyways... no too happy with my final result and storywise it sucks, but still. I finished. Partyyyyy!

Btw, i did check on google: 50 feet usually gets intensive care for adults and death for kids. Kinda shady floor, not always successful.

33. The Following User Says Thank You to Cookiedough For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    EDIT: OK these are my final pics... I've run out of time. There be dishes to do and clothing to wash before days end!! Wish I could have done better... but hell I tried!

Attached Images Attached Images    
    Last edited by shannanigan; February 1st, 2009 at 07:37 PM. Reason: Uploaded Final Pics

Thanks
    NOTICE!

I'm sorry, but the ice storms from the last few days are wreaking havoc with my power and phone lines here. Nothing serious, but we're losing power or phone every 10-15 minutes. Not sure if this is going to get better or worse, but if it goes down the toilet, you'll know by my not posting a note by midnight. Just use the extra time to do something constructive with your pieces. Let's figure we have at least another 24 hours until deadline (Monday rather than Sunday)

36. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ilaekae For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ilaekae View Post
    I'm sorry, but the ice storms from the last few days are wreaking havoc with my power and phone lines here. Nothing serious, but we're losing power or phone every 10-15 minutes.

That sucks! Lots of people out of commission from that storm this weekend! Hope things improve soon!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,584 Times in 1,007 Posts
    No problem, kitty!
    You take as long as you like
    *puppy dog eyes*

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.