The Most Basic Thing?

View testimonialsView Artwork
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

The Most Basic Thing?

So I've seen so many tutorials, and even purchased books, for digital painting. I even watch videos of the painting process. I hear people saying that they usually use a basic hard brush, and that sometimes they use a soft brush occasionally.

What I really don't understand is: can someone break the whole brushing and blocking in colors and blending colors thing down for me? I really want to understand it, because I have no problem drawing or learning about color and stuff, but I'm lacking that one ability to even lay down the color properly. I want to achieve a painterly effect or even a slightly smooth look, but I just don't want it to keep looking like big lines of color overlapping each other.

Can you guys give me the settings you use on your brushes for blocking in color and for basic blending (not advanced refining or anything). Thanks a lot.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    If you haven't watched Basics of Photoshop Painting by Bugmeyer yet (YouTube vid) he talks a bit about opacity and flow settings. He also has some demo vids there as well.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I've already done that tutorial, and it's an example of what I'm talking about. It goes over an entire process in three steps, but doesn't really tell much about brush specs. I remain confused o_O

Perhaps I should just experiment for a day and try out all kinds of settings and different types of brushes? For example, I want a painterly look to my images. Does that mean I use the natural brushes or just a typical hard brush? I have no idea. Maybe it really just lies in experimenting, the answer.

Yeah, Bugmeyer's videos I have watched. Thanks for reminding me, I need to review his video on the basics; I think it helped me a little.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Regular hard brush with reduced opacity, nothing more. Hold down Alt to pick up the colour produced when two strokes overlap. Repeat.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The reason that I like his video (aside from the "elf princess" joke), is that he really packs in a lot of the basic short-cuts that make digital painting much easier that most experienced users overlook mentioning. Only problem is...it can be a lot to remember at once if you can't paint directly after watching. XD

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks guys, that's good advice (and yea i know, it's very simple). I think I'll have a good grasp on the basics within the week.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,484 Times in 719 Posts
    Follows
    Following

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by jeremyg0rd0n View Post
    Perhaps I should just experiment for a day and try out all kinds of settings and different types of brushes?
    Yup, do this. Get the brushes window open and see what all those checkboxes and sliders actually do.

Members who have read this thread: 1