Creating Palettes in Painter 7 Hlp please

Join 500,000+ artists on ConceptArt.Org.

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks

Creating Palettes in Painter 7 Hlp please

First let me say I know how to create new palettes, palettes from images and so on.....

However the one thing I was wondering and I know there has to be an easier way than I have been doing it, and that is creating a value palette.

In other words how would I create a gradient or a value scale of a light to dark of a flesh color or even gray scale.

There are a few Flesh pallets I have that I would like to enhance with a light to Dark.

Oh and this is in Painter 7

Hope someone can help

MBStudios

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    I just noticed your thread MB, ( a couple weeks late), I've NOT found an easy way either.
    I see from the other thread that you've got my experimental Sanden flesh palette from my ancient geocities website...I keep forgetting that site is still there.

I've developed a number of other colorsets as well, but they took me hours and hours to set up and arrange in the colorset -- don't know why Corel can't make a tonal/hue colorset automatically that isn't all screwed up :mad: The main colorset I use now for 90% of my initial block-ins is divided into three sections of saturation from left to right and 9 tones of value from lightest at top to darkest at bottom ( there are actually 11 tones if you count black and white...but I try to save those for accents only. The basic idea in creating 3 sections of saturation was a "foreground", "middleground", "background" thing, as well as the ability to build up color rather than jump right in with it. The arrangement provides a lot of options.

I spent so much damn time on it, ( the top row was a real bitch), I'm not yet willing to share it and have it sprouted all over the internet... but I'll give you the rif and you can make your own if you want... at least you can see what I've done and how I arranged it, which may give you other ideas for your own system...which is better anyway.

To set up my colorsets I have 2 rifs set up, one is the colorset.rif, then a long thin "marker" rif with ruler-like marks every 5 or so boxes aligned with the actual empty colorset I'm going to fill (so I don't get lost)...then I go left to right, top to bottom with the eyedropper tool filling up the actual colorset according to my colorset.rif

here's the link:
    colorset

Thanks
    Sheesh...I didn't answer your basic question on how to take your existing color pallettes and transform them into value palettes.

I create a rif file with all the colors I want in it. Then arrange them according to value and hue. I typically use a 9 tone scale. starting at the darkest value, that's 6%, 12-13%, 25%, 50%, 75%, 87% and 94%. White and black are typically left off and used for accents and other things. There's several reasons why I don't make the scale exactly evenly divided, but the most important is I want a larger initial separation when going from light to shadow --that's too simple, but that's the basic idea. Another reason is that I usually do thumbnail value studies using black, 25%(gray), 75%(gray) and white -- 4 tones. When I start my color roughs and final paintings, the straight-across transition is easier and faster...just my own system.

You can create your sets from left to right, changing the hues, or from top to bottom changing the values. The easiest way I've found is using multiple layers with copy and paste and adjusting the colors or hues from the "effects" command.

Good luck.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.