Art: Chalk Animation Music Video

View testimonialsView Artwork
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Chalk Animation Music Video

So I completed my 1700 frame animation and would like some feedback; however, whenever I try to upload the file, I get a message saying "Invalid Post". The file is in MOV format and is 20MB. Any suggestions?

Thanks

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    woah, sweet 1700 frames? intense.

mm...the upload feature never works for me, I just host on youtube or vimeo.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Vivaldi L'Estate-Presto Music Video from Jamey Gigliotti on Vimeo.

This is my first animation.

Thanks for looking

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This is a bit long and as result the animation drags a bit. Otherwise it is very interesting.

Critiques on my work always welcome!!

Sketchbook:

http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=229693

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey, nice work! Nice job finding a sort of balance between experimental and narrative; some of the visual elements were reminding me a bit of Norman McClaren or Oskar Fischinger, which is certainly not a bad thing I agree with vayne108 that it is a bit long, and since most of the timing is pretty similar it does start to drag a little bit. If this is your first animation, though, it's very impressive to take on such a big project right away. I would say that you should just continue to adjust your timing and otherwise just keep working hard. Nice work once again!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for the comments.

As you have said there are some sync and technical motion related problems, but those should be resolved with practice. For a first time animator, I was more concerned with making my intentions fairly clear as opposed to obsessing over perfectly smooth motion.

Could you explain what you mean by "long"? You said that my timings were similar, are you saying that my scene lengths were too similar, or are saying that because of the sync with the music that the actions were too predicable? Since this was a school assignment, it had to be around 3 min. It was not required to be an animation (it was for a film/video class), but that is just something I wanted to try.

What types of exercises should I be doing to improve for future projects? I have seen "sketchbooks" filled with rotating cubes and bouncing balls, should I be trying some of those?

Thanks

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    By long I only meant that for what you were telling 3 minutes might have been a little too much time. The feeling that it went on a bit long also goes along with the similar timing thing too. Looking at it again, because you were looking to time the animation to the music, there is a good amount of variance in the animation simply because the song is quite varied itself. The similar part is primarily in the actions of the characters. An example of this is when the guy is taking a drink from the cup. He lifts the mug, drinks from it, and puts it down at a pretty even rate through the whole action. This happens in other places throughout the piece and, while it's not a bad thing per se, it can start to even out the feeling of the piece.

Now as this is your first time animating (if I'm reading correctly), and the fact that you were syncing to music on a chalkboard I must say you did a really great job. The timing thing really just comes with practice, and it's something that every animator can really work to improve on. Bouncing balls and rotating boxes are great practice tools and are very much worth doing to help get the principles down; also looking at animation you like and studying it is extremely helpful. And in the end as long as you're animating and thinking about what you're animating you should make progress.

Hope I could help, great work once again!

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.