Drapery Process: "Drapery" Two-Part Drapery Demonstration
Join Free Art WorkShopJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Drapery Process: "Drapery" Two-Part Drapery Demonstration

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Drapery Process: "Drapery" Two-Part Drapery Demonstration

Last edited by Sepulverture; November 25th, 2009 at 02:46 AM.

2. The Following 69 Users Say Thank You to fredflickstone For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Elwell is offline Sticks Like Grim Death Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,666 Times in 5,020 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Ron,

I couldn't help noticing the Frank Reilly "six lines" in that figure diagram. What exactly is the Reilly connection at Watts?

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Elwell For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Elwell, Jeff Watts, founder and teacher of Watts Atelier studied under 1st generation students of Frank Reilly . The Reilly method is the basis for a lot of the teachings at the school. There are other methods and teachings being practiced at the school but the Reilly method is one of the main underlying ones. Hope that helps.

-Pat

Last edited by madster; September 17th, 2005 at 11:44 PM. Reason: Cleaning Tutorials Section.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to LightBrownboy For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    just to add to what lightbrownboy said, Fred Fixler was a student of Frank J. Reilly. And Fixler later went on an started the old California Art Institute, probably a name you may have seen thrown around these forums. When Jeff went to the school, Fixler had already left, and so he studied under Glen Orbik, who had studied with Fixler for many years, and was one of Fred's main students previously. The Watts Atelier down here, whatever is left of Associates in Art in L.a. are all schools that carry that same lineage.

Last edited by madster; September 17th, 2005 at 11:49 PM. Reason: Cleaning Tutorials Section.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to tinyhands For This Useful Post:

Elwell is offline Sticks Like Grim Death Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks guys, that was exactly what I was looking for. I've always been a huge fan of Glen Orbik, and looking at his work it makes perfect sense that there is some Reilly training there.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Elwell For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Um...I don't want to sound like a goof or anything, but what is "The Riley Method" that everyone is talking about?

I tried to Google it, but couldn't really turn up anything.

Thanks.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to ramoutar For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well first off, if you spelled it "riley" then you won't come up with anything. Try "Reilly" as that is the correct way to spell it. But even then, frank reilly wasn't that prolific of an artist enough that you'll find info on him. The reilly method however was several things. One, for drawing, it was a system of abstractions that broke down the figure into anatomical rythems. by using a system of lines you could abstractly solve a pose. And then, for painting, it was a system in which you had 9 values of grey. Meaning, that for every color on your palette, you had 9 seperate values from straight out the tube, all the way down the value scale. Then, based on the given situation you would plug in certain values in certain areas and so on and ultimately come up with your picture. It was almost a paint by numbers and such. Hope this makes sense. This style of training has a wonderful lineage, and that schools that have taught it have a rich history, but this kind of thing is mostly in the san diego, los angeles areas.

14. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to tinyhands For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    A little more background on Reilly, he studied with George Bridgeman and Dean Cornwell (and probably Frank V. Dumond) at The Art Student's League. Like George Bridgeman, he made teaching a priority over his illustration career. He realized that he was teaching in an era when representational drawing had become unfashionable, but was determined to teach fundamentals in hopes that future generations would carry it on until the situation had balanced out. At the time, abstract artists were all the rage, traditional representational painters were nonexistant or making a living as illustrators to pay the bills while they painted landscapes for themselves. Rockwell, Cornwell and Leyendecker were fading superstars and Sargents were collecting dust in attics. Reilly was a gifted illustrator in his own right, his professional work consisted of mostly ads and book illustrations in the same vein as Loomis and Cornwell. He's most well known for his Revolutionary War period illustrations which are very sought after by collectors. Among his students are notable illustrators like Fred Fixler, James Bama, Jack Faragasso, and John Asaro and many of their students and student's students (and so on) have gone on to successful illustration and fine art careers. Reilly's 'system' isn't the end-all-be-all there is to drawing and painting, but it communicated centuries of drawing and painting experience into a format that produced positive results for anyone with the discipline to follow through and in essence, teach themselves.

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MadSamoan For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ron, the thread topic says Drapery Tutorials 1 & 2 but the tutorials themselves are 3 and 2. Are there three total, or is one just a typo?

Btw, all your tutorials are really helpful Ron! I plan on working through them during my xmas break. Can't wait!

-Bad Mange

If I ventured in the slipstream between the viaducts of your dreams
    Where immobile steel rims crack and the ditch in the back roads stop
    Could you find me?
    - Van Morrison, "Astral Weeks"

18. The Following User Says Thank You to BadMange For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    All the images are loading in the foreshortening tutorial thread, you should read the whole thread. Ron states that they are deleted images that he reposted, so they're all there. Also, you can download the images directly from Ron's website by right-clicking the image, goto properties and copy/paste the link minus the image name into your browser. You'll be taken to his file list and can download the images there by right-clicking and choosing "save target as...".

-Bad Mange

If I ventured in the slipstream between the viaducts of your dreams
    Where immobile steel rims crack and the ditch in the back roads stop
    Could you find me?
    - Van Morrison, "Astral Weeks"

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BadMange For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to skatay For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I dont think the Faragasso book is out of print- I got a copy maybe a year ago from the Art Students League store. By the way, if your an art student that lives anywhere near New York and you havent attended the Art Students League, your insane. Everyone gets in, no portfolio needed, its cheap as dirt(pay by the month), and you study with the greatest teachers alive. Its one of the few things in life thats really too good to be true but is...

24. The Following User Says Thank You to memento313 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    STIX mentioned that Faragasso's *painting* book is out of print, which you can find for some pretty good $$$ in vintage stores. The drawing book (which you probably are referring to) is still out there. But, if the painting book really has been reissued, then that's awesome.

There are 10 types of people people in the world: those who think in binary, and those who don't.

26. The Following User Says Thank You to Yupa For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    thanks so mutsh

28. The Following User Says Thank You to albehany For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Is the Faragasso book you guys are talking about the one with the six steps of the portrait of a woman on the front cover? If it is, I'm thinking of borrowing it from my art teacher. I know it's by Faragasso but I don't know if he has multiple books. The Student's Guide to Painting?

30. The Following User Says Thank You to drd For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    That's the one. Definitely borrow a copy if you can. I'd suggest photocopying or scanning it, as it's really dense, and most of it will probably take a long time to sink in. You'll want to be able to keep going back to it.

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

Crash Course for Artists, Illustrators, and Cartoonists, NYC, the 2013 Edition!

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

32. The Following User Says Thank You to Elwell For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Elwell View Post
    That's the one. Definitely borrow a copy if you can. I'd suggest photocopying or scanning it, as it's really dense, and most of it will probably take a long time to sink in. You'll want to be able to keep going back to it.
    Thanks Elwell. I've borrowed it before, but I mostly just scanned through it the first time to look at the pretty pictures and I actually tried to learn more the second time; but after seeing how revered he is, I think it'd be a good idea to look a little deeper into it.

34. The Following User Says Thank You to drd For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    thanks for this tut. been copying a davinci drapery at skl for the past week but couldnt rly get into the breakdown of its lines and parts - ur guide rly helped

36. The Following User Says Thank You to CM. For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    thanks fredflickstone helpfull !!

38. The Following User Says Thank You to teena_mom For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I have a scanned copy of The Student's Guide To Painting somwehere around here. Mr. Faragasso has put the new edition on hold so if it's ok with the management I'll post a link to my jpgs.

I'm self-taught in drawing and painting, and I have relied almost completely on books from Jack Faragasso and AJ Grado for the Reilly painting methodology. I'd be even farther behind without access to his very logical approach to picture making.

40. The Following User Says Thank You to Phlipper For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Oh, by the way Fred ... I printed off all your Reilly tutorials a couple years back for my Reilly/Faragasso notebooks. I can't thank you enough for all your hard work in putting them together.

42. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Phlipper For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I've been paging through your tutorials and have to thank you for all the work you put in here. Really amazing stuff. Can't appreciate it enough.

44. The Following User Says Thank You to kitehiGh For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

thanks

thank you for this tutorial. It's helpfull

46. The Following User Says Thank You to bungyx For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Drapery is the death of me.

Thanks for the tutorial.

48. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kpamir For This Useful Post:

4ntimatter is offline if a ghost went into the fog would he be mist? Level 2 Gladiator: Ordinarii
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This is a great help, thanks very much.

50. The Following User Says Thank You to 4ntimatter For This Useful Post:

Members who have read this thread: 34