Sketchbook: 3D artist start to draw--Eric's sketchbook
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

3D artist start to draw--Eric's sketchbook

Hi CA !

I've been lurking for a while on this forum and never really post anything but I have to say there's massive talent here. Anyway , I'm a 3D artist for a while now and I always have the feeling that I was incomplete in a way. Not because of my 3D skill but I just feel that my 2D skills need a lot of improvement.

It's funny cuz this year I went to the ADAPT conference in Montreal and I assist at Andrew Jones presentation. In one point he asked : Who , secretly,always wanted to be an 2d artist instead of 3D. This question as simple as it is , really make me think and make me ask to myself what kind of artist I want to be. I'm quite happy with what I could produce in 3D but I'm think I could push a bit more if my 2D skills were better.

So I decide to work on that 2D case. I found that the best way to do this is to create that online sketchbook. I'll try , event if I'm a busy man, to update that thing in a daily base.

Alright enought chit chat and here's 2 sketches I've worked on:

-------------------------------------------------------------------
    First picture of this sketchbook ...a foot study. I bought some books of Burne Hogarth last year and I finally use it to draw last week ..what a shame I know :

Second picture ...an eye study and nose. Once again strongly inspired by my good friend Burny :

Alright that's all for today. C&C are more than welcome

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Tmaniac; January 15th, 2009 at 03:02 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Looks like Hoagarth's?

Good for getting stuff stuck in your head. I suppose you know already that some of his illustrations are exaggerated for the sake of grasp, just continue what you are doing and draw them in that form, do every last one of them but with that in mind.

Understanding has a digesting period I have found in my own study, it's something to do with what your brain does when you sleep, so it doesn't help hurrying it. If you feel you need to wander on something a bit longer, leave some of the same for tomorrow. As much as I want to hurry my own development I have been faced with the pace your mind shuffles stuff into it "becoming natural".

If it get's overwhelming and boring sometimes, your drawing will tell you when that happens and the critters break loose and want to play. Let it or pick up another subject to break the boredome. Then after a few lessons of something else take off where you left off when you get back to anatomy. It helps to page back to what you drew weeks before and do quick doodles of what you understood then.

I suppose those are still built on the basic construction models as per the book, in that case the nose is a little too narrow looking compared to the eye width. Perhaps not what was focussed on in that lesson but the idea hoagarth has put out is to first drill in the basic construction before you explore and deviate.

Hoagarth is good at putting visual images into description. Remember to always read the descriptions when you draw them to get the mental process he himself had gone through to produce the work displayed.

Im going to take a guess in that you put most of your efforts or alot of focussed effort into this. That is great man. Don't get discouraged and be proud of your own progress.

Keep going man.

Last edited by George Abraham; January 15th, 2009 at 08:15 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Very clear and clean lines, I like that. What you draw looks good. But I think it
    would be better, when you draw the whole face and body, and not only such
    small parts. Keep it up.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Zaorr : Yep that's Hoagarth's , thanks for watching ma SB btw.
    Ya..I don't use Hoagarth as bible for anatomy, it just help me to understand how to put in perpective the basic element of anatomy. Your right about giving the brain the time to digest the anatomy learning. I fallow your advice and decide to start an environnement just to change my mind a bit. It's far to be good but slowly and think I can do something with that scene.
    Thanks again for your advice ..always a pleasure

RDD : Thanks , I always try to keep my drawing as clean as possible. I agree with you , I should make the big jump and draw full faces and bodies. I just start with the faces. I have a long road to walk as you can see.

So here's what a succeed to do tonight and the scenery I've been started last Friday :

Face study and just started the shading..far to be finish :

-----------------------------------------------------------

The beginning of the kind of view I saw every morning in the bus. I try to illustrate the cold that morning ..-41degres celcius with windshield ..ouch

-----------------------------------------------------------

Once again..C&C are appreciate

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.