Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Thanks

The reason so many great artists are coffee Dependant?

As I was driving back from work today I heard on the radio that "a study" had revealed people who drink 7+ cups of coffee a day were much more given to hallucinations.

maybe this is why so many of the artists I admire list coffee as one of their key stimuli?!

lol

Anyone here on over 7 cups a day? I think I'd be constantly running to the loo with that much fluid intake personally...

~^-^~
    get better or die trying....

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,499 Times in 747 Posts
    I did as a student. It was vile stuff, too. I had one of those old-fashioned percolators that cooked it all day long until you pretty much had to subdue it by force to get it down. With powdered non-dairy creamer, because my fridge was busted.

I'm pretty sure that's not what gave me hallucinations, though.
    I was once on the receiving end of a critique so savagely nasty, I marched straight out of class to the office and changed my major (sketchbook).

Thanks
    Thanked 1,406 Times in 562 Posts
    I'd like to actually see that study. I've consumed mass quantities of coffee in my day and havent hallucinated anything that wasn't scratched on paper or a cintiq before i actually saw it.
    It's not uncommon for myself to down up to 40 oz of coffee, im not sure how many actual cups that figures out to be, but on my worst days, that's about how much i consume.

Coffee actually seems to keep me more focused on days when i drink it, i don't think it's actually because of the coffee, but because i've slowly have become addicted to it and on days when im not drinking it, i'm going though withdrawls and simply can't focus because of that. Back on topic though, as far as hallucinations go, i highly, highly doubt coffee is in any way related to hallucinations unless it's coffee from the coffee pot at the High Times magazine offices. Maybe that's where the study originated from. Speaking of which, i'm getting distracted and should probably get back to what i was doing...wait... my coffee cup is empty, let me go fill it back up first.
    "I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain."
    --- Frank Herbert, Dune - Bene Gesserit Litany Against Fear

Check out my Sketchbook! Critique and Criticism welcomed.

or my Artstation

Or my stream on Twitch! http://www.twitch.tv/wwsketch

Ilaekae is offline P.O.W.! Leader, Complete Idiot, Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,581 Times in 1,789 Posts
    Stoat, that's my regular daily input RIGHT NOW. I finish off one 44-cup (HAH!) pot in about 28-36 hours using a big mug.
    No position or belief, whether religious, political or social, is valid if one has to lie to support it.--Alj Mary

Ironically, the concept of SIMPLICITY is most often misunderstood by simple-minded people. --Alj Mary

Thanks
    Thanked 1,499 Times in 747 Posts
    Yep. That's just how it's done, Ilaekae. I miss my percolator!
    I was once on the receiving end of a critique so savagely nasty, I marched straight out of class to the office and changed my major (sketchbook).

Thanks
    Thanked 1,478 Times in 470 Posts
    never drink it myself, though I do have some friends who seem to drink nothing but.

It's not uncommon for myself to down up to 40 oz of coffee
    technically that's five cups (8 oz. to a cup)
    "Every little step considered one at a time is not terribly daunting" - Ethan Coen

New books and process DVD available NOW!

www.dvpalumbo.com

Quickie blog (nudity)

8. The Following User Says Thank You to DavePalumbo For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    mmmm coffee....

Speaking of which i haven't had my morning coffee yet. Thanks for reminding me.

Ive never had hallucinations, but then again the max i drink a day would be 3-4 cups, after that i substitute coffee with tea. Though thats only on days i spend drawing.

Ilaekae is offline P.O.W.! Leader, Complete Idiot, Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,581 Times in 1,789 Posts
    The scum on my coffee just asked me if this mug makes his butt look fat...
    No position or belief, whether religious, political or social, is valid if one has to lie to support it.--Alj Mary

Ironically, the concept of SIMPLICITY is most often misunderstood by simple-minded people. --Alj Mary

chriskot is offline non-dishwasher safe, keep away from open flame
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ArtZealot View Post
    I'd like to actually see that study.
    Here ya go. Found these through Slashdot this morning:
    Original (highly technical) study
    Simpler article (from the Telegraph)

I don't actually drink coffee but every now and then I probably get a comparable amount of caffeine from drinking a lot of Coke. I've had a couple of really quick, mild hallucinations before, but I don't know whether this could be the cause or not. Either way, it's a pretty interesting find. So does this make caffeine a hallucinogenic as well as a stimulant now?

Thanks
    How arbitrarily we decide which mind altering chemicals are ok and which arn't. If someone started a thread that was like "Hey I noticed alot of musicians/artists/writers/whatever I like smoke pot....I wonder if I should try some" It would be 10 minutes before it was buried in people offering their completely uninformed opinions about how terrible it is that someone is using a drug as crutch to support their productivity/creativity, and imagine how more awesome an artist that didn't need it would be. Never mind the people that actually chimed in and mentioned that they also liked said chemical or even bragged about how much they used. I'm not saying don't enjoy your coffee...do, its a useful tool. However, think about how many people say they can't do ANYTHING in the morning without their coffee. I just wonder why it doesn't occasionally taste of hypocrisy.

I'm not accusing anyone in particular really here....it's just something that's been on my mind.

BTW, if you want to hallucinate all you have to do is not sleep, it happens all the time...eventually some angry mother will write a letter to a congressman and they'll make sleep deprivation illegal, because only perverts and criminals are interested in seeing things differently.
    Ia Ia Cthulhu Fthagn

The Sketchbook Lives AGAIN!

Darkergreen, My environment, and concept art portfolio

"Its all Fish-Men in the end anyway" -Sara, my wife

"Whenever one finds oneself inclined to bitterness, it is a sign of emotional failure."
    Bertrand Russell

13. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Cthogua For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,478 Times in 470 Posts
    How arbitrarily we decide which mind altering chemicals are ok and which arn't. If someone started a thread that was like "Hey I noticed alot of musicians/artists/writers/whatever I like smoke pot....I wonder if I should try some" It would be 10 minutes before it was buried in people offering their completely uninformed opinions about how terrible it is that someone is using a drug as crutch to support their productivity/creativity
    I seem to remember that exact thread happening some time in the past 8 months or so. And you're right, any sort of dependency is something which should at least be examined.

they'll make sleep deprivation illegal
    I believe it is if you force it on others. Or at least, according to the Geneva Conventions, whatever that's worth anymore.
    "Every little step considered one at a time is not terribly daunting" - Ethan Coen

New books and process DVD available NOW!

www.dvpalumbo.com

Quickie blog (nudity)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,766 Times in 648 Posts
    don't drink coffee cause i hate the taste of the stuff.

don't drink alcohol cause i hate the taste of the stuff.

don't smoke pot cause i hate the smell of the stuff...

i'm a pretty boring person, actually, that way.

oxygen and sugar are pretty great, though. also, salt.

16. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to daestwen For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    My coffee doesn't do that. I’ve been ripped off!!

Thanks
    Just remembered why I started smoking again.

Phrases like$ Going for a puff of turkish blend and a cup of java $$

Aaaaaahhh!!

Thanks
    I've always loved coffee, but I think it's a bad habit for me because I crash from it pretty badly, so I rarely drink any these days unless I get a migraine. Like any drug caffeine effects everyone differently and some people should just never drink it, ever.

Thanks
    Just remembered why I started smoking again.
    Man I've watched so many people struggling with addiction to smoking over the years, seeing stuff like this just makes me shake my head. Quit while you're ahead yo!

back on topic..

I like my sugar with coffee and cream

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by daestwen View Post
    don't drink coffee cause i hate the taste of the stuff.

don't drink alcohol cause i hate the taste of the stuff.

don't smoke pot cause i hate the smell of the stuff...

i'm a pretty boring person, actually, that way.

oxygen and sugar are pretty great, though. also, salt.
    I love you......

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Brashen For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,274 Times in 408 Posts
    For years i was doing ten cups a day and a 20 pack of cigs to go with it.

Now i'm down to 1 or 2 big cups of coffe a day, often substituted with tea. Usually no sugar or milk in any of them, although some mornings i cut the coffee with a little milk to take the edge off.. And i quit smoking, that shit is nasty.

The downside to drinking so much coffee over so many years is that i can no longer have a cup of coffee to keep me awake. The stuff just don't work anymore.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,005 Times in 655 Posts
    Coffee's over rated.

25. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to HunterKiller_ For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    man, makes me want to go to wellington again just for all the cool little coffee shops.....

Specially expressoholic and fidels.

Thanks
    $$
    Yah, cutting coffee with a little whipped cream and chock sprinkles should also take the edge off.

$$
    I smoke less now; I treat smoking as a less casual event. I take the time to enjoy and appreciate the flavour, one of nature’s gifts, from the good earth, and it's toasted.

HA!!
    Last edited by George Abraham; January 15th, 2009 at 05:21 AM.

Thanks
    Occasionally I drink a cup of ice coffee or those cold frappucino things you get from the store. But that's as close as I get to coffee.

I don't drink alcohol or use drugs either. I usually rely on myself for creativity and such.

From time to time I drink energy drinks. But Ive stopped due to a kidney infection I got from drinking Full Throttles everyday of the week. And I have down a Bawls and fell asleep right after.
    Helps us on our journey. Comments and critiques are welcome.

Sketchgroup

One Sketch

.empyrean's. sketchbook

DanTang's sketchbook

Dmotym's sketchbook

Nigh7shad3's sketchbook

Thanks
    >>ARTICLE<<

looked it up this morning, apparently high sugar consumption leads to mental health issues too

I live on sugar an t'other half lives on coffee - what a pair!

I'm an everything in moderation - including moderation kinda bod personally
    get better or die trying....

Thanks
    Thanked 1,014 Times in 376 Posts
    it's a legal and cheap stimulant drug. anybody familiar with hellish deadlines will realize the immediate advantage in this.
    In the future, everyone will have 15 minutes of privacy.

Portfolio
    Sketchblog
    Facebook art page

31. The Following User Says Thank You to squidmonk3j For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Slash View Post
    For years i was doing ten cups a day and a 20 pack of cigs to go with it.

Now i'm down to 1 or 2 big cups of coffe a day, often substituted with tea. Usually no sugar or milk in any of them, although some mornings i cut the coffee with a little milk to take the edge off.. And i quit smoking, that shit is nasty.

The downside to drinking so much coffee over so many years is that i can no longer have a cup of coffee to keep me awake. The stuff just don't work anymore.
    Yeah, I was a soda junkie for a long time and the final nail in the coffin was the fact that we get free sodas at work. We have this big drink cooler that the company keeps stocked with a variety of sodas, yoo-hoo, and other terrible shit. After a month or two of that I realized I was drinking like 4 Mountain Dews a day and still falling asleep in my chair. Not only that, there's enough calories in that to fuel a starving village of people for a week. The same was true with energy drinks. I could drink two Red Bulls and go straight to bed, caffeine just simply stopped having any upper effect on me, but I would still crash out after a few hours. Recently (we started working 12 hour days....yaaay crunch ) I drank a Sundrop (a soda local to NC, kinda like Mt Dew, but with even more caffeine I think) toward the end of the day, and while it did seem to have a bit of an upper effect, I also became really irritable and felt this pressure in the front of my head. Up to that point I had been in a pretty good mood, but it totally ruined my day. So I guess that may be it for me and caffeine.
    Ia Ia Cthulhu Fthagn

The Sketchbook Lives AGAIN!

Darkergreen, My environment, and concept art portfolio

"Its all Fish-Men in the end anyway" -Sara, my wife

"Whenever one finds oneself inclined to bitterness, it is a sign of emotional failure."
    Bertrand Russell

Thanks
    as a daily coffee drinker, i read an article about the study in question yesterday and it seems to be somewhat inconclusive. Or at least that's what the voices whispered in my ear.

Thanks
    I don't drink coffee...but I hallucinated a lot waaay back.

So many studies. O_@ I don't drink them, either... -_-

So tired...coffee's effects tempt me, but not enough to go further.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,192 Times in 1,728 Posts
    Sugar and anything high fructose is the real poison. Coffee just raises blood sugar levels and when enough is consumed it causes the "fight or flight" response, which can causes sharper mental acuity (fight) or panic attacks (flight) depending on metabolism and mental state.

For those who crash hardcore after a lot of coffee or a lot of sugar, you need to think seriously about stabilizing your blood sugar or you're heading down the road to metabolic syndrome and diabetes. Not to mention vision problems. Less sugar, more moderate amounts of coffee and more complex carbs rather than simple ones. (unsweetened sweet potato rather than white potato, brown rice rather than white, whole wheat pasta instead of regular.) And a some daily exercise and more water.

Your mom,
    kev
    At least Icarus tried!

My Process: Dead Rider Graphic Novel (Dark Horse Comics) plus oil paintings, pencils and other goodies:
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=101106

My "Smilechild" Music. Plus a medley of Commercial Music Cues and a Folksy Jingle!:
    http://www.myspace.com/kevferrara

36. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to kev ferrara For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Cthogua View Post
    eventually some angry mother will write a letter to a congressman and they'll make sleep deprivation illegal, because only perverts and criminals are interested in seeing things differently.
    don't forget sleeping. terrible things, kids repeating what they've seen in their dreams

I much prefer a proper brew, though (especially if it's chai. or earl grey. mmmm... anyone round to mine for a cuppa and some cake?)
    What an overwhelming lesson to all artists! Be not afraid of absurdity; do not shrink from the fantastic. Within a dilemma, choose the most unheard-of, the most dangerous, solution. Be brave, be brave! - Isak Dinesen

Thanks
    Heres my theory. I hate coffee the stuff tastes nasty but according to my friends it makes them go and I quote "Theres nothing like a morning shit to get the day going".

Artists who dont get exercise need to poop.

39. The Following User Says Thank You to Demonique768 For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast