The reason so many great artists are coffee Dependant? - Page 2
Join Free Art WorkShopJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: The reason so many great artists are coffee Dependant?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I don't really drink coffee, but when I'm pulling all-nights with my friends at LAN parties... I will down a can of Pepsi, Mountain Dew, or any soda in a few seconds. I remember I drank about 10 Mountain Dews in an hour at about 1-2am.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Thanked 2,318 Times in 906 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I drink black tea and some occasional green tea energy drink stuff... But I only think we rely on coffee because otherwise we're just sitting in one place all day doin nothin. Where the energy gonna come from if you don't move? Just workin out in the morning and taking a shower is usually enough to get me up though

'If you don't make mistakes, you're not working on hard enough problems.And that's a big mistake.'
    www.DaveRapoza.com - Step by Steps, Videos, PSD Downloads, and tons of other crap
    SketchBook
    My Twitter Account
    Schoolism Alien Video Tutorial!
    -HAHAHA B.B.F.F. Forever...-

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Mr.Delicious For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I like coffe its not terrible, its not going to cause the down fall of nations, its not the best thing in the world usually 1 small cup after school cheers me up, i dont drink carbonation so i think im pretty safe splurging on 1 bad drink isnt going to send me to an earley grave or make me an addict,
    but my drink of choice is rasberry white tea

~You should never doubt what nobody is sure about~

Demo's Digital Damsels

Straight Edge Ryan is offline much less of a douchebag in person, I promise Level 6 Gladiator: Provocator
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I don't drink coffee, but it's one of those things I feel like I'll like one day. Like twice a year I'll drink some and be like "hmm....not yet" and put the cup down and try it next year

Everybody wants to go to heaven, but nobody wants to die

My Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'd be in the drink to excess club. No hallucinations or crashes. I can sleep after drinking at night easier than if I don't. it's my cocoa.

It's very high in anti-oxidants (more so than tea), it's good for your colon, and although there was a very alarmist article from my favourite paper The Daily Mail saying 10 cups a day will make your heart implode, on further reading it revealed, that it only happened if you'd never drunk coffee before in your life. Another great health scare instigated and debunked in the course of a paragraph.

People who drink a fair bit, become accustomed to it being in their system, and it has little ill effect.

God help us when the passive coffee drinking fascists take over.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ok well I don't know about how everyone else reacts to coffee, but I have been drinking it since I was 12 years old. One cup in the morning until I was 15, then it was two cups and at 17 I went crazy with it.

From 17 to 18 I was drinking two pots of coffee a day, for those who do not know, a pot is 12 8oz cups of coffee. So I was having 24 cups of coffee a day.

Hallucinations? Get real.

Insane ability to focus? Thats more like it.

I should add that nowadays, because of my bodies built up tolerance to caffeine I am back to 2 cups a day.

For the "rush" I simply put 1 cup of coffee grounds, per cup of coffee.

Also I have not put sugar or creamer in my coffee since I was 15, fake and white sugar is unhealthy. If you must use a sweetener use real Brown Sugar.

It has the consistency of mud, and I have to hold my nose just to get it down without vomiting it all up.

Have you ever tried the REAL caffeine drink Redline? It is thick as syrup and contains no sugar.

The "energy drinks" people think give them energy, is actually just a sugar rush, with a sad amount of real caffeine in it.

“Stating the thing broadly, the human individual thus lives usually far within his limits; he possesses powers of various sorts which he habitually fails to use. He energizes below his maximum, and behaves below his optimum”

James, W. (1899). On Vital Reserves. New York: Henry Holt and Co.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Tea was here.

Coffee is a loser.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Alex Chow For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Androxity View Post
    The "energy drinks" people think give them energy, is actually just a sugar rush, with a sad amount of real caffeine in it.
    Actually it's been shown in a number of studies that the "sugar rush" does not exist and that reports of post sugar consumption hyperactivity may have more to do with the expectations of the mothers watching over the children.

the moms who thought they were in the sugar group said their sons acted more hyper. In addition, they tended to hover over their children more during play, offer more criticism of their behavior, etc. The mother-son pairs in the other group were judged by observers to be getting along better. What's more, those moms who, going into the experiment, most strongly believed their kids were sugar-sensitive also scored highest on a test designed to gauge cognitive rigidity.

From there, of course, it's not too hard to whip up a hypothesis explaining why the sugar-high myth persists. Having always heard that sugar makes kids act crazy, some parents, particularly those hailing from the control-freak end of the spectrum, may go a little crazy themselves when the sugary stuff enters the picture. In situations where sweets are freely available to their children - like birthday parties or other high-stimulation events - they watch worriedly for any sign of obstreperousness, see it even if it's not there, call it hyperactivity, and attribute it to the cookies and cake. Kids, meanwhile, typically aren't oblivious to this sort of anxiety; consciously or not, they may well figure out that after taking on a load of candy they're expected to run amok and happily oblige.
    As for adults, it's not hard to imagine that such a commonly believed effect might produce a placebo effect in some people. As for energy drinks though, while they typically contain less raw caffeine than coffee, they also typically contain other stimulants such as taurine, guarana (an additional source of caffeine), ginseng, and others, the effects of all of which are debatable and seem to vary from person to person. Another thing to consider is the tendency of people to drink energy drinks in multiples and quickly, where as tea or coffee is seldomly chugged.

Ia Ia Cthulhu Fthagn

The Sketchbook Lives AGAIN!

Darkergreen, My environment, and concept art portfolio

"Its all Fish-Men in the end anyway" -Sara, my wife

"Whenever one finds oneself inclined to bitterness, it is a sign of emotional failure."
    Bertrand Russell

Thanks
    Thanked 1,584 Times in 1,007 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I just like the taste; coffee or green tea for me, but plenty of plain water throughout the day as well.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    If coffee really caused hallucinations me and my friends would all be at the asylum right now, writing and drawing weird thins on the walls so...... I don't really think that this thing really causes hallucinations it must be if you abuse (like 30 cups a day or something like that) because actually i drink around 5 to 10 cups a day and i'm normal...i think

so, coffee and sugar is what keep me awake when i do extra hours of drawing / 3d and if that wasn't of these, i wouldn't be where i am now probably so, they can say what they want with their studies ! i don't care ! xP

I haven't wrote this to blame anyone, only to express an opinion!

Thanks
    Thanked 2,275 Times in 625 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    coffee isn't for me, it's either too expensive or takes too much time to make.

i don't mind the stuff, and i find it has a rather pleasant scent. i just get really put off by the obsession over it. you see full grown adults handing out $5+ a morning for some lukeward sugar water, and they are mean awful bitter people until they get coffee in them. how sad is that? i'm not whining about how you ought to spend your money, or what you should consume, but don't let it run your life, its so pathetic.

"the black blood of creation" ...give me a break.

i do tea on occassion, always unsweetened, maybe once every other month. i enjoy it, but have no real need to go out of my way to have it on a frequent basis. and outside of that i havent consumed any caffine (in liquid form) or anything carbonated in the last eight years. i'm not trying to act high and mighty either, because i certainly eat nothing but sugar and grease, hey i'm an amerikan what do you expect?

when your diet becomes routine by choice, and you find yourself becomming a slave to the necessity of consumption, then perhaps its time you introduced some new elements to your life. maybe i'm just jaded because i go through periods where my diet consists of pbj, ramen, and water for weeks upon weeks on end, and the idea of being open to possibilities and willingly shutting them out just so you can have the same drink at the same time every day is depressing.

the hallucination thing, i like to know reality so i may better enjoy my fantasy. when the two become mixed i find the appreciation for either to be rather obscured and difficult.

if you want to believe your coffee makes you a more creative person and expands your mind, then go for it, there's far more dangerous superstitions in the world. i think youre really selling yourself short in the imagination department if you rely on coffee of all things to enhance your life, but if the result is better art, then i can accept the willing personal weakness.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Grief For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I imagine the real reason so many great artists drink a lot of coffee is for the same reason so many business executives, hardcore gamers, and any other dedicated individual does so.

Because they're up all the damn time becoming great at what they do.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Mock For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,191 Times in 516 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I did a couple of boxing clinics in college. The first time I ever sparred they put me in the ring with a wide receiver from the football team. He hit me in the head so many times that after a short while I looked to the center of the ring to see an impossibly tall thin woman there with a dress that flowed away from her like water spilling onto the floor. A large fish was swimming past her, right there in the gym.

I was also in a warm, cozy place. I knew I was hallucinating and was hoping that I wouldn't get hit again. I did get hit though, and was snapped out of it.

That's my only hallucination (I think) and it was pretty cool.

As far as artists and coffee? Most artists don't make much money, and coffee is a pretty inexpensive indulgence. Maybe that has something to do with it?

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Bill For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 3,153 Times in 1,067 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I like to chug a bit of dihydrogen oxide to get me going.

"Astronomy offers an aesthetic indulgence not duplicated in any other field. This is not an academic or hypothetical attraction and should require no apologies, for the beauty to be found in the skies has been universally appreciated for unrecorded centuries."

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckWeisel View Post
    I like to chug a bit of dihydrogen oxide to get me going.
    that stuff'll kill you if you have too much

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Cthogua View Post
    Yeah, I was a soda junkie for a long time and the final nail in the coffin was the fact that we get free sodas at work. We have this big drink cooler that the company keeps stocked with a variety of sodas, yoo-hoo, and other terrible shit. After a month or two of that I realized I was drinking like 4 Mountain Dews a day and still falling asleep in my chair. Not only that, there's enough calories in that to fuel a starving village of people for a week. The same was true with energy drinks. I could drink two Red Bulls and go straight to bed, caffeine just simply stopped having any upper effect on me, but I would still crash out after a few hours. Recently (we started working 12 hour days....yaaay crunch ) I drank a Sundrop (a soda local to NC, kinda like Mt Dew, but with even more caffeine I think) toward the end of the day, and while it did seem to have a bit of an upper effect, I also became really irritable and felt this pressure in the front of my head. Up to that point I had been in a pretty good mood, but it totally ruined my day. So I guess that may be it for me and caffeine.
    Sundrop is the devil. It causes many problems in your intestines and colon. Its like drinking a bottle of acid. Even though I know this I still drink the stuff. Its all my family drinks.

Helps us on our journey. Comments and critiques are welcome.

Sketchgroup

One Sketch

.empyrean's. sketchbook

DanTang's sketchbook

Dmotym's sketchbook

Nigh7shad3's sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I gave one of my nearest and dearest weasel coffee for christmas!

Vietnamese civets eat the coffee cherries and regurgitate the beans then they are roasted and ground as usual, its supposed to be quite gourmet :-o

(you can get ones that cats poop out too but thats just EWWW!)

~^-^~

get better or die trying....

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Sometimes I can enjoy a small cup of coffee , but I get all twitchy from it and my heart starts to go crazy , so I usually refrain from it.

But I drink 2-4 cups of tea a day and smoke quite a lot.

Anyone knows the name of the (now dead) photographer who kicked amphetamins on a daily basis to keep doing photos ? He was quite an amazing photographer (although a bit mad) , but I always forget his name...

Quote Originally Posted by Ilaekae
    "Art is the physical result of your soul battling with your intellect to the death...with a sharp pencil..."
    THE AUSTRIAN SKETCHLORDS
    Baron Carnifex
    Duke Corky

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Follows
    Following
    I think I have an average of 5 cups a day plus a bottle of 2litre pepsi.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm all for black tea. 'much more delicious!
    However, if I don't get my cup every morning I get pretty terrible withdrawal headaches.

Also, tea is pretty essential for me when I need to pull frequent all-nighters for school. However, I find that sometimes a brisk walk in the cold can be just as effective as a cup of tea.

-----------------------------------------------------
    portfolio=ORANGEMANTIS.COM
    Blog
    SKETCHBOOK
    -----------------------------------------------------

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by daestwen View Post
    don't drink coffee cause i hate the taste of the stuff.

don't drink alcohol cause i hate the taste of the stuff.

don't smoke pot cause i hate the smell of the stuff...

i'm a pretty boring person, actually, that way.

oxygen and sugar are pretty great, though. also, salt.
    too right, though sugar is not that great, because it will make you fat...............................

I don't have to worry about it though, I AM ABNORMAL!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,891 Times in 428 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    The thought of drinking 7 cups of coffee a day makes my stomach hurt. D: I can only handle one or two, if at all anymore.

I used to drink two cups a day, and then I'd get craaaazy headaches if I didn't drink coffee, and that sucks. So I switched to tea! And the occasional energy drink when I really need to get my shit done.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I like a cup of coffee in the morning when I have time to enjoy it. Another on the way to work ( I drive). I especially enjoy the aroma of a freshly brewed cup.

Coffee has something to do with a routine, for a lot of people around here.
    So the happy medium lies within each of us. I think I've read more about overall distaste for coffee than overt obsession. Again, artists are surprisingly human. I think there was a similar thread on coffee and there was a lot of hating on coffee and props for tea.

I like to have some when I draw but I end up forgetting about it because I'm concentrating on drawing.

SSG 37The Show Must Go On!
    | Bard |

| My Sketchbook |

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Very dry, boring response:

Drinking massive amounts of coffee can be self medicating.

If someone has an ADD addled monkey brain and does not have medication to help out, they may be drawn to what's available to deal with it.

I'm on ritalin 3x a day, can drink a pot of coffee and sleep like a rock. As a matter of fact, sometimes the ritalin makes me sleepy.

I know. It's very, very sad...

--Madeline

Madeline Carol Matz
    www.mcmatz.com

30. The Following User Says Thank You to mcmatz For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    No. It's not sad. I do it for the same reason along with working out, because i'm paranoid about taking Adderal (even though the drug helps out a lot). I might get back on it not sure, sometimes it feels as if my heart is going to explode.

ADD has its benefits. Coffee does help out quite a bit though.

ACTION SPEAKS LOUDER
    "Amateurs look for inspiration; the rest of us just get up and go to work. " -Chuck Close

DRUNKEN WASTREL SKETCH GROUP:
    [ Costau D ][ Cuervo ][ Braintree ][ Fumble ][ Ookchk ][ RoboMonkey ]

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by mcmatz View Post
    Very dry, boring response:

Drinking massive amounts of coffee can be self medicating.

If someone has an ADD addled monkey brain and does not have medication to help out, they may be drawn to what's available to deal with it.

I'm on ritalin 3x a day, can drink a pot of coffee and sleep like a rock. As a matter of fact, sometimes the ritalin makes me sleepy.

I know. It's very, very sad...

--Madeline
    Some ADHD brains calm down when they take stimulants, some become worse.

If you're on medication and you still need to self medicate, you should probably switch psychiatrists. It's not sad at all it's just inefficient and potentially dangerous. Saying it's sad implies that it's somehow your fault that you need coffee. I'm saying this because I had a moronic psychiatrist who kind of screwed up my life for at least a year.

Anyone else annoyed by the lack of cream in places like Dunkin Donuts and Starbucks? Half and half doesn't taste the same. I complain about it every chance I get but I think I'm the only one who noticed or cared that they stopped stocking cream.

Straight Edge Ryan is offline much less of a douchebag in person, I promise Level 6 Gladiator: Provocator
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I've gotten to where I'm starting to cut my caffeine consumption after a certain point in the day. I take adderall for my ADD pretty regularly, which always gives me a lot of energy, sometimes too much. Adderall plus caffeine= me staying up all night. There have literally been times where I would wake up at 8 a.m., take my medicine and go on about my normal day, and at 3 a.m. I still wouldn't be tired. I'd go to sleep, get 4 or 5 hours of sleep, wake up tired, take my medicine/get some caffeine and the process would repeat itself. And I can't help but think that it's not healthy to get on average 4 hours of sleep a day, and then eating something which makes my body ignore the physical exhaustion that comes with it.

I swear I'm just going to drop dead one day. Either that or the physical exhaustion will drive me insane and I'll go on some long, cross country killing spree ending with me making a fine suit out of human skin before being gunned down in a firefight with the police while making outrageous and ridiculous claims. Speaking of which, did you guys know that me and Jesus invented the question mark?

Everybody wants to go to heaven, but nobody wants to die

My Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Adderall completely screwed up my ability to sleep also. I know it's irrational to decide one particular drug is bad when it won't have the exact same effect on everyone but I've grown to really hate adderall. When I was on adderall I became depressed at the same time every day, the time when I crashed from the drug, around 6-7ish. For years after I stopped taking it, even 5 years, I still got depressed at that same time each day. It wasn't until I started taking strattera that the daily depression left. I still get depressed, but not every freaking day.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Adderall turned me into a robot. I'd could find even paint drying to be the most fantastic interesting thing in the world. But, when I was first on adderall I would stay up late all night watching martial arts movies. Even the really bad ones amazed me for some reason. One problem I had though is for some reason it sucks away your creativity. I became like the most boring person ever the first month, and then my dosage was upped and I became very very irritable. It's like things were louder, and even my dad moving pots and pans around had me yelling at him to stop.

But, I have to admit aside from the side effects I could just zone in and get event the most repetitive task done. My grades went up, I studied more... But, I lacked a personality and i couldn't draw or find being creative fun anymore. It was more frustrating in a way...

Last edited by Costau D; January 18th, 2009 at 01:55 AM.
    ACTION SPEAKS LOUDER
    "Amateurs look for inspiration; the rest of us just get up and go to work. " -Chuck Close

DRUNKEN WASTREL SKETCH GROUP:
    [ Costau D ][ Cuervo ][ Braintree ][ Fumble ][ Ookchk ][ RoboMonkey ]

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    YES, the exact same thing happened to me. People think I'm just being weird or lazy when I say adderall took away my ability to do art, but it really did. And irritable is an understatement for how I felt.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.