Thanks

unexplained mysteries

Yesterday a space roar was discovered which is six times louder than anything that has been discovered in outer space so far.

This reminds me of the bloop, a very loud noise recorded underwater in 1997.

Here is the bloop in real time.

And here it is sped up so you can hear the bloop sound, starts at 0:34

This is so loud, the same noise was recorded in separate microphones 5000 km away from each other. The sound matches the audio profile of an animal, but no known animal is capable of being that loud. The sound was close to the fictional city in the call of cthulhu.

Cracked has an article including the bloop and five other mysteries, but those other mysteries are all things created by people. It's impossible for a human to create the bloop. I wonder what kind of animal could create that noise, and if it's even possible for that animal to exist.

If you know about any other unexplained stuff, post it.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
  3. The Following User Says Thank You to •Lindsay• For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    huh?

you're weird, Dib.

Thanks
    It's a mystery why nobody makes cartoons as awesome as Invader Zim any more.

Thanks
    Um, correct me if I'm wrong, but since space is a vacuum doesn't that mean that there are no air molecules to vibrate and send along sound waves?

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Peter Coene For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,053 Times in 1,109 Posts
    The biggest unsolved mystery I know is how GW got re elected in 2004. At least it's finally being rectified. 5 more days!

9. The Following User Says Thank You to TASmith For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 3,153 Times in 1,066 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Coene View Post
    Um, correct me if I'm wrong, but since space is a vacuum doesn't that mean that there are no air molecules to vibrate and send along sound waves?
    Electromagnetic radiation Peter, radio waves and the such.
    "Astronomy offers an aesthetic indulgence not duplicated in any other field. This is not an academic or hypothetical attraction and should require no apologies, for the beauty to be found in the skies has been universally appreciated for unrecorded centuries."

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to s.ketch For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Peter - I thought the same thing at first... since sound needs a medium to travel in, but follow the link... the roar is a radio frequency.
    "Change is a virtue my friend... if you want to escape, all you have to do is make up your mind."
    John Cale / Bob Neuwirth

Here be SKETCHIES...

www.ccthrom.com

Thanks
    if you wanna get technical, sound can travel through space, as space isn't completely empty, it just has a very sparse density of atoms, and therefore it can carry a note, not anywhere near audible though.
    EDIT: just to back up this stuff: http://www.space.com/scienceastronom...ay_030922.html

Through following links on about the space roar, but the roar is radio waves.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,557 Times in 608 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Linzoy View Post
    six times louder than anything that has been discovered in outer space so far.
    Wait, so what was the source of the 2nd loudest sound?

EDIT: Nevermind. I read the NASA article.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,406 Times in 562 Posts
    That bloop thing sounded like nothing at first, then i read up on it and the sound that sounds like a marble dropping in water was actually something sped up 16x normal speed and could be heard 3000 miles apart.

What's blew my mind was "Scientists determined that its wave pattern indicates it was made by an animal" then they go on to say "There is no animal big enough or loud enough to make that kind of noise, not by a long shot."

That's some fuckin weird shit is all i can say.
    "I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain."
    --- Frank Herbert, Dune - Bene Gesserit Litany Against Fear

Check out my Sketchbook! Critique and Criticism welcomed.

or my Artstation

Or my stream on Twitch! http://www.twitch.tv/wwsketch

Thanks
    im sure there is some knarly shit down in the depth of the ocean. Also much older than anything terrestrial.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,557 Times in 608 Posts
    Another question. How giant are we talking with the blooper? I can't find an estimate.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,192 Times in 1,728 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ArtZealot View Post
    What's blew my mind was "Scientists determined that its wave pattern indicates it was made by an animal" then they go on to say "There is no animal big enough or loud enough to make that kind of noise, not by a long shot."

That's some fuckin weird shit is all i can say.
    Whale's have gas, don't they? One big mother of a gas bubble eeks out of one of them big suckers... floats toward the surface, then finally pops in instrument range. Makes perfect sense to me. Lucky it didn't cause a Tsunami. There's always some wily scientist out there with a Strange Tale that might get his lab some funding. And always some news outlet looking to fill column space with said item. Caveat Emptor. Or possibly the Atlantis Mother Ship is signalling that it is ready to surface, as per Blahm's wise post.
    At least Icarus tried!

My Process: Dead Rider Graphic Novel (Dark Horse Comics) plus oil paintings, pencils and other goodies:
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=101106

My "Smilechild" Music. Plus a medley of Commercial Music Cues and a Folksy Jingle!:
    http://www.myspace.com/kevferrara

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by kev ferrara View Post
    Whale's have gas, don't they? One big mother of a gas bubble eeks out of one of them big suckers... floats toward the surface, then finally pops in instrument range. Makes perfect sense to me. Lucky it didn't cause a Tsunami. There's always some wily scientist out there with a Strange Tale that might get his lab some funding. And always some news outlet looking to fill column space with said item. Caveat Emptor. Or possibly the Atlantis Mother Ship is signalling that it is ready to surface, as per Blahm's wise post.
    i was reffering to the wierd beasts down there. Freemasons and crap are the ones that believe all that atlantis voodoo nonsence. But its still probly more likley that this gas bubble hypotesis. Since bubbles are known to be bursting underwater and all that.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Psychotime View Post
    Another question. How giant are we talking with the blooper? I can't find an estimate.
    I don't know. I'm trying to find out though.

It seems like not many people are interested in this stuff. I guess sound is less interesting than images, look at how many people are fascinated by white spots on the camera. Seriously, the view count for that is six figures.
    There's always some wily scientist out there with a Strange Tale that might get his lab some funding.
    Either that or it's the U.S. National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration.

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to •Lindsay• For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,406 Times in 562 Posts
    haha, yea. i was at lunch with some co-workers talking about this article and mentioned that the space bloop was probably galactus from X-men having a bad case of flatulence which is what the scientists heard.

The thing with these mysteries is that it's anyone's best guess. I suppose that's part of what makes them interesting.
    "I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain."
    --- Frank Herbert, Dune - Bene Gesserit Litany Against Fear

Check out my Sketchbook! Critique and Criticism welcomed.

or my Artstation

Or my stream on Twitch! http://www.twitch.tv/wwsketch

23. The Following User Says Thank You to ArtZealot For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Yeah, exactly. I just keep wondering what kind of animal could possibly make that noise, and why. Even if it turned out to be a volcano or something the giant sea creature idea would still be in my head somewhere. I don't know why.

Thanks
    There is all kinds of volcanic activity in the great oceanic trenches. My best guess for the "bloop" is a massive release of gas from a volcanic vent on the sea floor. The gas would be largely dispersed by the time it reached the surface so there wouldn't necessarily be a huge bubble popping up. I would have to see the evidence for an animal origin before I accepted that explanation.

Ah, screw it! I'll bet it's venting from an underwater alien city!
    The truth will set you free,
    but first it's gonna piss you off!

Website
    www.ceandersonart.com

Facebook
    http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Ed-...47726545290769

Thanks
    It could be a great blast of gases from layer of decaying matter. I watched a National Geographic special where they were trying to figure out why there is a massive fish die-off every once in a while off the coast of Africa, and they found that the large area of sea was overfished, and there was nothing to eat the dead alage and plankton that settles to the bottom of the sea. So basically all that decomposing matter just piles up, and the gases build up and explodes. The gases kill the fishes and stinks the whole place up.

Or it could be the mating call of a kraken....
    -Mike Cross

Sculpting Thread|My Website| DeviantArt |My Blog
    -Also on FB and Twitter