How do you keep your interest in a piece or sketch?

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

How do you keep your interest in a piece or sketch?

got another question. How do you keep your interest in a piece or sketch?
    i stop half way through a drg a lot and ill see something i dont like.
    are there other things that get you?
    how do you keep your interest?

please share your wisdom

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,044 Times in 681 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Drawing is not about the image, it's about solving a problem. The problem you've set before yourself.

Drawing a character in a certain pose, now how do I solve the difficulties in that? What angle, his muscle weight, perspective, does it look like I picture it?
    You question yourself about the answer, doodle things to figure out parts of the problems, use those doodles as refernce to part of the solution of the whole.

These are questions you need to ask yourself. Also, ask yourself do you need to know the answer to the problem before you? If not, move on to the next problem. If so, you find a way to get through the difficulties and find your solution.

The matter of importance, is the necessity of the answer, and the trials it takes to get there.

It all comes down to how you think as an illustrator.

Just sitting down and drawing isn't always enough. Doing that leaves the door open for flights of fancy, loss of interest, and just giving up before the battle is done.

"Everything must serve the idea. The means used to convey the idea should be the simplest and clear. Just what is required. No extra images. To me this is a universal principle of art. Saying as much as possible with a minimum of means."
    -John Huston, Director

4. The Following User Says Thank You to OmenSpirits For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I find that if I move around the drawing so that I'm not working in one spot the whole time I stay more interested. It also helps me to work on two or three drawings at once so if I do get bored I can switch to another until I get sick of that one then switch back.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You are approaching the drawing wrong in a psychological sense. Do not find fault with the drawing while it is halfway finished. Of course it sucks when it is halfway finished. Press on to the conclusion believing that the conclusion will contain the reward of a great drawing.

As to "But, if the lines suck part way through how can it mature to a great drawing?" the answer is: That is why the teachers tell you to pencil in your proportions and relationships lightly and don't commit to the lines until you have them right. Patience Grasshopper.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,278 Times in 625 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    i tend to draw girls, and my attention doesn't really wander.

but halfway through making spaghetti sometimes my sauce doesn't taste very good, and i want to give up even though i'm still hungry.

how do you guys fix this?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Grief View Post

but halfway through making spaghetti sometimes my sauce doesn't taste very good, and i want to give up even though i'm still hungry.

Smother it in ketchup and pray!

I always look at the actual times that tutorial drawings and such have taken to be completed and I sort of envisage that amount of time on a clock, usually thinking "DAMN! That's ages!". But I find when i'm in the throws of it, time flies.

If you believe random sayings, then i'd guess you'd have to conclude I'm having fun .

Finding mistakes in your work isn't something to despair about though, a lot of people are afraid to use an eraser, even though all the awesome works you see around here have probably been molested with one over the course of their creation .

Just remember if you're sketching it out with pencil to keep lines light so they don't mark the paper. That way if it takes a few attempts to get the look you're after you don't have a smudgy part of your drawing.

There's always the "have a break" option too, fire up some computer games, watch a movie, take a walk. Do something that might spark some more creativity in the piece you're working on and it might give you the urge to run back and put it on paper .

Art's quite forgiving really .

. t h o s e . w h o . d r i n k . t h e . d a r k .

The-SSG-That-Shall-Not-Be-Named:
    Vehkt ~ Spaztastic ~ Realitychek ~ Lakeland ~ Shannanigan ~
    Me, Myself & Me Again

Thanks
    Thanked 1,342 Times in 473 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    It's pretty easy for me.
    I don't draw or paint anything that I'm not 100% invested in.

Work is different (as in the day job), but for personal illustration stuff I won't even put the pencil down until I have a pretty clear goal in mind. After that it's all about just letting the drawing come out.

If I'm not feeling it, then I won't be drawing in the first place.

-D

Thanks
    Thanked 5,521 Times in 3,716 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Grief View Post

You need to learn your ingredients and how they work with or against each other – bit like art.

Members who have read this thread: 1