Thanks

For those that work in-studio

I have a few questions about the Concept Artist life style. How do you go about applying for an in-studio job if the studio is out of your state? I currently live in Richmond, Virginia. I Googled for video game and movie studios around here, and I did not find any. My main concern is say I finish college(hopefully at SCAD, which 80% of the students have a job in the art industry upon graduation) in Georgia and I get a job in California or another state, what do I do? Do I pack up and some how manage to get enough money to travel, do I wait to save up, or do they provide the money to get there? Also, when I'm there, how would I manage to get an apartment, house, etc.? I would really love to be able to design different environments via my artwork, and I would like to experience the studio job with other artists collaborating on a project, but I'm not sure on how I would be able to do anything but freelance. By the way, just to hopefully get an answer to another question, for those that freelance, do you put in 8 or so hours a day, or do you have a part-time job and work on art during your spare time?

Thank you to anyone that can help.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,685 Times in 5,021 Posts
    Cart before the horse, my friend. People move for their careers all the time in all different fields, and you've got at least four years to figure things out.
    P.S. Be very wary of school placement statistics, working in an art supply store or as a receptionist at an ad agency would be considered a "job in the art industry."

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Elwell View Post
    Cart before the horse, my friend. People move for their careers all the time in all different fields, and you've got at least four years to figure things out.
    P.S. Be very wary of school placement statistics, working in an art supply store or as a receptionist at an ad agency would be considered a "job in the art industry."
    Thanks. Yeah, I know I have a few more years, I'm just kind of stressed out right now because I'm tired of living here and I found a few extra fees for the college, which would be hard enough to pay... I won't be able to get a place to live afterwards. I went to tour the school and I don't remember the exact numbers, but the tour guy said that a <insert high percentage> had a job in the art industry as soon as they graduated, and <another high percentage> had a job in the career they wanted.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,478 Times in 470 Posts
    you're getting overwhelmed by details that are long range and hypothetical. I agree that these can be stressful tasks, but only if you actually have to do them, so for now you're in the clear.

When the time comes, remind yourself that people move and find apartments and jobs and all that every day. You'll do what they all do: break it down by priority and tackle it one piece at a time. Deciding to make a big change in your life is the hard part, everything that follows is just managing the details as they come up.
    "Every little step considered one at a time is not terribly daunting" - Ethan Coen

New books and process DVD available NOW!

www.dvpalumbo.com

Quickie blog (nudity)

Thanks
    I think the number is 88%. I'll be down there next fall hopefully.
    Helps us on our journey. Comments and critiques are welcome.

Sketchgroup

One Sketch

.empyrean's. sketchbook

DanTang's sketchbook

Dmotym's sketchbook

Nigh7shad3's sketchbook

Thanks
    You could try looking into internship opportunities. That way you could test the waters and form connections with people who work in the industry. Unfortunately, since there are no companies around Georgia, you would have to find some funding for travel/living expenses.

-----------------------------------------------------
    portfolio=ORANGEMANTIS.COM
    Blog
    SKETCHBOOK
    -----------------------------------------------------

Thanks
    Thanked 1,478 Times in 470 Posts
    I think the number is 88%.
    graduate to having a job in the industry? That sounds impossibly high. I don't know SCAD's specific numbers, but the common figure I always heard in school as a nation wide statistic was something like 2% will succeed at making art for a living. If you actually care about statistics. The nice thing about this job, though, is that that doesn't equal a 1 in 50 chance, it just means you have to be sure you're willing to work harder than those 49 other people.
    "Every little step considered one at a time is not terribly daunting" - Ethan Coen

New books and process DVD available NOW!

www.dvpalumbo.com

Quickie blog (nudity)

9. The Following User Says Thank You to DavePalumbo For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    If I look at my own class (NAD center) as reference it's more like 30-40% but it was far from instant and we were one of the lucky classes.

Edit: btw I did move around for work... not across the country but to different cities.
    Last edited by Qitsune; January 14th, 2009 at 01:13 PM.

Thanks
    Thanks guys(and girl). I do think I was a bit over-dramatic when I wrote that.

I'm not too worried about it now. I just want to get a job with a major company that can give me plenty to keep me busy.