Sketchbook: Cdejongs Sketches and Paints - Closed - Page 4
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: Cdejongs Sketches and Paints - Closed

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    connor mah man - it took me 14 years to get where you have gotten in about 1 year and a few months. astounding. teach us how you do it!

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Thanked 1,911 Times in 832 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    The digital drawing is looking good. Just keep rendering and I think you'll have a nice piece. Maybe check his face because he's looking a bit droopy at the moment. It would probably help if you pronounced his right cheek bone more (Or maybe he's supposed to look that way... )

"I've got ham, but I'm not a hamster"

Sketchy Link

Portfolio

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Your studies are coming along nicely. Just don't stop doing those Loomis heads to make sure you progress with facial anatomy as well as with the figures.

"Try again, fail again,
    fail better!"
    Samuel Beckett
    Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    tobbA:Thanks man. I ended up radically changing the entire thing, I have no clue why. This piece was one of the biggest struggles I've ever dealt with as an artist, but I'm looking forward to the next character painting I do, it should be a lot better.
    Novbert: Thanks, I will! Faces are a real tough thing to get better at, but I'm working at it.

I'm calling this done. I've spent way too long on it already.

Attached Images Attached Images  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    A couple things from my imagination.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    That creature design is siiiiiiick

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm really impressed by the last figure you showed there! Real development it looks like in how you're showing form, it really looks like there's mass between those lines. Kudos! Keep it up! Nice talking to you again!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Dan: Thanks man
    Eric: Thanks man , great talking to you as well!

Imagination...

Bit of Bridgman... there's more where this came from

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice! Good stuff from imagination. But pic 3 looks like a man with boobs... :]

Sketchy Link

Portfolio

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I agree, that figure looks like a male. The breasts are too high, the shoulders too wide and hips too narrow. So, Ii'd say it'd be a good idea to start studying female porportions more.
    Still, your male anatomy seems pretty good!

JeffX99 is offline Registered User Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,896 Times in 2,544 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Hey - you seem to be working pretty seriously and along the right track - thought I'd offer some critique/advice. You're kind of wasting your time when you go to digital and when you work from your head - that same time spent observing from life will really accelerate your abilities faster than anything. You also seem able to discipline and challenge yourself so I would suggest you try working ONLY FROM LIFE for one month - still llifes, architecture, vehicles, figure, animals, etc. See what that does. When you work from life, focus on really studying and seeing accurately - where edges (lines) cross each other, the feel of the roundness or volume of the form, the relative size of the forms, the negative spaces between the forms, etc. Next focus on seeing and simplifying the value patterns - light side of forms, shadow side and cast shadows.

The single most important skill to develop is the ability to visually measure the components of your subject and accurately translate those measurements to your two-dimensional surface. This is called "site measuring" - you start by using your pencil or a thin stick (like for shish-ke-bobs is even better) held up at arm's length to measure the relative lengths of the forms. Don't get this confused with "sight-size " measuring methods - they are similar but "sight-size" takes it to a different level.

Anyway, get this book: "Drawing Essentials" by Deborah Rockman - it really is the only book you need for awhile. Well, maybe Jim Gurney's book "Imaginitive Realism" as well...you'll like how he uses himself as a model.

Good luck - let me know when you get those!

Jeff

12. The Following User Says Thank You to JeffX99 For This Useful Post:

Jovian M is offline HOW MANY PUSH-UPS CAN YOU DO? Level 7 Gladiator: Samnite
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The studies are really paying off, man. You're improving super fast. I have to disagree with JeffX, a little. Doing work from life and doing studies is definitely a big part in improving, but if you go for too long without drawing on the knowledge you're gaining from your head, you may have trouble doing so later. Have to do a healthy balance of work from life, from other sources, and from your head.

Keep it up.

Last edited by Jovian M; December 2nd, 2009 at 01:03 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,273 Times in 887 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Hey cdejong,

Thanks for the visit to my SB!

Looks like you're really working hard on the Bridgman; good to see you're throwing in some Vanderpoel though.

Re memory: an effective technique is to test yourself after you've spent some time drawing something like life studies or Bridgman studies. Just get out a clean page and see how much you can remember from the last hour or whatever you spent.

Or, you can "study" Bridgman without a pencil in hand, close the book, and see what you can draw from your visual study. Michael Mentler (an instructor that posts here) says that he works through Bridgman once a year (If I remember correctly)! But, what he does is look at the book for awhile, put it down, then go draw.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    those model drawings on page 3 with the clean lines are awesome! make more like that!

>>SKETCHBOOK. you'll visit me. I'll visit you, we'll have a tea party. with arts and shit. it'll be dreamy. stop by.
    >>mah tumbr

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey man

so i was buddha bear. now am snow lion. back on the site after a traveling hiatus. ill be around much more frequently now.

your sb is looking good. i like the studies a lot, and i love how your rendering (all your graphite stuff) with consistent lines heading in descriptive directions. keep it up!

Art and kindness are my weapons of choice.

My Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    tobbA:Thanks, I agree haha. Working on proportions.
    Slothboy3000: Thank you, yup you are so right. Gotta keep studying.
    JeffX99: Thanks so much, I definitely need to get drawing from life more. I've been drawing from life some, but nowhere near as much as I should be doing. I tend to be studying from photos and books more often. Definitely have to man up to the life drawing. Thanks again.
    JovianM: Thanks, yes I'd like to keep the balance. In the beginning I was studying too much and not applying it, so I was forgetting everything. Then I did too much imagination stuff and didn't learn. So I'm trying to get that happy medium. I think I'm starting to hit it.
    Kamber: Great advice, thank you. I will surely do that. Retaining information from studies has been a struggle for me.
    ashess: Your wish is my command .
    Snow Lion: Thank you, I'll be sure to try commenting on your stuff more often .

And here we gooooooo:
    Imagination first:

From life:
    Yea the far leg is messed up, I sketched that in really fast before the pose changed and it came out bad. I forgot to fix it before uploading. Sorry!

And my mom from life... I wasn't that happy with this, I was trying a different approach. And I was rushed. Who knew my mom only had 15 minutes?

Oh and these last two are from imagination.

Last edited by cdejong; December 11th, 2009 at 05:52 AM.

JeffX99 is offline Registered User Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,896 Times in 2,544 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Exactly the way to look at it C! Trust me - I know it's a bitch! Hardest f*ing thing there is - you do just have to "man up" and deal with sucking for a few years - but you know what's cool? Walking into a figure session with confidence - looking forward to seeing what you can do - and being the best in the room. That's what's cool - but it only comes from working hard at it. Of course, then you step it up to a new level and walk into a room and you're at the bottom again!

Oh, the other thing that's cool? You can draw so much better from your imagination.
    Oh, and one more reason - get pretty good and you can impress cute girls in bars (you know, or boys - whatever). DO NOT telll your Mom that secret!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey man really nice stuff. the drawings from imagination are sweet especially.

the portrait of your mom looks good, though her eyes are high. in fact i would make a point to check your eyes more frequently, being halfway up the head, since several of your faces in the recent upload have eyes a bit above the halfway line.

ps that last fig from imagination rocks!

keep it up

Art and kindness are my weapons of choice.

My Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ahhw dude ur doing awsome.. i didnt have time to go trough it all right now.. but for what i can see here u are doing really great.. that last one from imagination rocksballsinsocks.. the way you shaded the body is great, gettin some really sweet gentle form in there.. keep it going! ur gonna be great!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,415 Times in 594 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    hey dude, sorry i took some time to drop by. You have some cool stuff going on on here. As for a crit, i'd recommend working on the anatomy and drawing stuff. Line quality, proportions, poses etc. It's the best way to start imo, so less rendering, more drawing !

Thanks
    Thanked 1,358 Times in 1,154 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    the last 2 are great, you did that from imagination? great work! the renderings pretty sweet, thanks for dropping by my sb

Thanks
    Thanked 1,249 Times in 905 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    buddddyyyyyyy

danielc took the words right out of my mouth, haha
    i wanna see a billion figures in a page, not a fully rendered face and torse. D:
    go wild and drawwwwwww

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    bapsi: Yes thank you, I realized I was wasting my time so that's what I'm doing now
    Pandah: yup those are from imagination, thanks
    DanielC: It was very nice of you to comment, thank you and that crit is good, I stopped the rendering BS and I'm really focusing on my lines and basic draftsmanship now.
    rogerb: Thanks roger! I appreciate the kind words
    Snow Lion: Yup you are right, the eye thing is really tough. I've noticed it myself, and I've really been struggling to fix it, I'm working on my facial proportions and I'll get it eventually! Thank you!
    Jeff: Thank you Jeff, I've really taken your words to heart, especially about drawing from life! I can't wait to be good, but until then I'll put in all the hard work it takes to get me there.

Ok... so I've really cracked down on the studying. I've got myself set up and I'm drawing a lot more, lots from the mirror of myself, and a lot of studies from photos. It's pretty obvious what's from life, such as all the forearms and arms and legs and cloth studies and a few torsos as well I think... oh and my hands. The rest are from photos, or I'll specify if I copied another artist. Right now I'm studying some of Algenpfleger's figures and Wes Burt's figures and faces on top of the other stuff. In general though, I work 50 percent from life and 50 percent from photos/drawings when I'm studying. I started studying last Sunday, and these are all in chronological order, except for the imagination stuff, which is rather poopy and I think I could do better since it's from a few days ago.

Studies:

Imagination:

Oh and then here are two portraits of my sister's friends from life:

I apologize for many of the bad quality photos, the lighting was bad and I am using my new camera I just got for Christmas, so it was a learning experience. Better photos next update! I'm trying to shoot for daily updates .

Last edited by cdejong; December 25th, 2009 at 06:41 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Alright... ehh family issues cropped up and screwed up daily updates... but now I'll be having stuff up here every day!

80 Gestures studied from Min Yum aka Bumskee's work

Some portraits of friends... and an environment from ref... going to do these more often, they're hard but fun and I'm learning about color and how to identify values in colors, because it's incredibly hard for me D:.

Gonna upload some more later stuff later tonite.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    great job. I admire your dedication,. ;D

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks bapsi

Just 31 gestures from photos... getting better at them... I want to do 50 of these per day, for as long as I can keep it up. I did 50 today because I did 20 of those gestures out of the 80 from Bumskee on top of these . I did some imagination work too, but I didn't feel like posting it up.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Poop... 50 gestures from photos, sorry for the bad photo quality, just kinda putting them up for documentation purposes... and then a quick portrait of my sister, and some imagination BS... ya I know the girl on the left looks like a total Wes Burt knockoff, it was from my head though .

Last edited by cdejong; December 29th, 2009 at 06:55 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Sketchin' like a fiend! I admire you, man, keep up the strong work. *high five*

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Good job. You're deffo improving.

I think you still seem to place the eyes a bit high in many of the portraits tho

Sketchy Link

Portfolio

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    nice that you're punching ART IN THE FACE HNNNGH

keep it up, you're studying with some serious fury.

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 3