Sketchbook: Cdejongs Sketches and Paints - Closed - Page 3
Join Free Art WorkShopJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: Cdejongs Sketches and Paints - Closed

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well from the looks of those charcoal pencil no-reffed figures it looks like you're learning quite a bit from those Bridgman studies. And honestly? Give yourself some credit! That is a damn good digital still life! They only get easier with practice. It looks like you're doing all the right things. The eyes in your self portrait seem a little too big and also skewed. One of the best parts of doing continual self portraits that I've found is it's something you can always measure your progress in observational skills...just try to make it a little more accurate each day and remember the pitfalls of yesterday.

Also, I'm really digging those face studies from photos. I like doing those too...and those are really starting to develop nicely. You're going to blow us all out of the water, dude. Algenpfleger is a great guy to look at if you want to see just exactly what it takes. He's got his head on straight for sure. Keep up the great work, and thanks for the comments.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    damn...now i want a corona

nice work man, keep at it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    waronmars:Hahaha, thanks man.
    Sketcheth:Thanks for the crits and encouragement, I'll try harder on tomorrows' self portraits. I did one today, but I rushed it and it was so bad that it isn't even worth posting. I'll do a few tomorrow. Thanks again man, your advice is worth more than gold, and your encouragement gets me geared up to work harder tomorrow.
    Krato:Thanks for the link! And pointing out the faces... I do need to work on them.

Sorry for this meager and pretty disgusting upload, I must work much harder tomorrow.

You guys are the greatest, I always appreciate your help!

Bridgman

Bridgman

No ref

No ref charcoal

Posemaniacs in charcoal

Last edited by cdejong; July 24th, 2009 at 03:53 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Stuff in charcoal looks sweet, I've been meaning to try out poses with charcoal for a while. In regards to your ultimate goal of making it into Atelier, I usually see an art school as a process to reach a goal, such as landing a full time job with Blizzard or something big. Most people seem to see the Atelier and just see it as the be all end all, and once they're there everything will be fine for them. You really should consider where you want to be after Atelier if you choose to go there before you choose an art school, and bear in mind that there are for more Concept Art companies than Massive Black (and far more prestigious art schools than Atelier.) Don't get me wrong, it's an incredible school, but it won't give you success, you have to do that yourself. Some stuff to think about for ya Also, productivity wise your anatomy is coming along really nicely, but it'd jump into digis as soon as possible. By the way, would you mind clarifying what you meant in the crit in my SB, I didn't really get how you'd put it Cheers man, keep it up.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to SamC For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    where is that mighty fine portrait of me

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Libertadore For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    nice sb, keep it up

9. The Following User Says Thank You to juicy For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Juicy: Thanks for dropping by, will do!

Libertadore: It's in this post now, although it is a piece of crap . Oh well, you'll have to sit for it longer next time. I need more than 25 minutes.

SamC:Thanks for dropping in. I agree with you, I see an art school as a means to the end product, aka being a successful artist. I've researched quite a few schools, including Watts atelier, LAAFA, ACCD, Ringling, RISD, SVA, AAU, Angel Academy, Florence Academy, etc. The CA atelier just seems to fit the bill for me personally, since I would like to be a concept artist/illustrator with strong traditional skills as well so as to have the possibility of making fine art with traditional media as well.

The next gen atelier just seems to provide a solid education based off of figure, environment, props construction from the mind, digital illustration, as well as cast drawing and atelier methods of studying and creation. That specific marriage of art is exactly what I would like to do. Thanks for watching out for me though, I understand that it may seem that I just thought CA atelier is the only good art school in the world, and Massive Black the only possible place of employment for a concept artist. I've done my research though, I'm not about to rush into anything that I'm unsure of .

Thanks, and sure I'll clarify that crit for you, things can get confusing when pinpointing certain areas of the face hahaha.

PS: I've been doing digi paints, check page 2 .

Self Portrait

Posemaniacs

Faces from photo ref!

Brrrrridgman, familiarizing myself with leg structure

Photo of the still life... I was hoping you guys could critique it looking at my photo as well, I had a terribly difficult time getting the reflections on the metal can to look right, so any guidance would be awesome!

Painted portrait is of my friend Libertadore, it was done in 25 min and is really bad.

Attached Images Attached Images    

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Sebbonaparte the picture certainly isnt bad id say rendering would do a majority of the work it needs to appear as a mirror image of me... the colors were for the most part well chosen and blended the facial structure near spot on (chin needs lengthening, nose a bit of redefining, and the jawline needs more suggestive shading instead of being outlined) but best 25 minute piece i think ive seen you produce

Last edited by Libertadore; July 22nd, 2009 at 09:47 PM.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Libertadore For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    My advice to you is stop getting lost in the details. For example, when you do your self portraits I have the feeling you get bored, start to lose interest, or start to feel disappointed with your work...so you shade.

You need to ask yourself: "am I doing this to better understand the figure, or am I doing this to try and mimic my mind's interpretation what I am drawing" In other words, are you faking things.

You should get into the habit of drawing what you see and only what you see. At no time should you be looking at yourself in a mirror and think, "Okay, now I am drawing my eye". Because what you are doing is relying on your mind's memorization of what an eye "should" look like. As you know, my eye won't look the same as your eye. Just draw the line as you see it.

To help do this, try semi-blind contour drawing. Look at what you are drawing, and move your pencil with your eye. When you look down to see what you have drawn, stop your hand. Your eye and hand should move together, you will find this frustrating and you will want to cheat. But the benefits will be so rewarding. You are training your eye.

Instead of shading, draw the planes that run through your face. Use your fingers first to find the 'edges' that are along your face, and look in the mirror to see how these edges affect light and shadow. Think of it as trying to carve rather than draw.

Here are some steps to a good self portrait (in my opinion, hehe):
    1) Have lots of charcoal pencils already sharpened.
    2) draw the outline of your entire head (This is your rock which you will carve) Keep refining the outline, knocking back (erasing) previous lines that are wrong.
    3) You aren't drawing unless you are erasing. Pentimenti is BEAUTIFUL. If you don't know what that word is, Google it and look at old paintings with it.
    4) Only once you have your rock, start carving inside, through the edges that run through your face. Draw, knock back, draw, knock back.
    5) Look! LOOK HARD. You should be sooo intense when you draw. Sweat pouring down your forehead from looking. Your hand moves at the pace of your eye, drawing only the line that you see.

Actually you have already done this is one of your pictures. Look at the face with the hand against the chin. See that line that runs through her face. That is beautiful! That is by far the best looking thing on that page.
    That is a great example of what I am talking about, and you have already done it! So do more...lots more of that, find those lines. Good luck and dont give up!
    Quote Originally Posted by sebbonaparte;2353455

[IMG
    http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z152/sebbonaparte/IMG_4189.jpg[/IMG]

14. The Following User Says Thank You to malaise88 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I really like the way you're working, balancing studies and life drawings/paintings! Awesome stuff! It looks like you've made some strides already with the self portrait!

I also really like the things that you wrote. You don't seem like the reckless type at all. I know you're going on the right track.

About the painting, I noticed that you've extended the sketchbook and things like that. While I recognize that you're trying to simplify this image for yourself I think that might be the wrong approach. You should try to at least lay in the basic tones of everything in the image at the very offset. Because you are painting a metallic object it is, of course, reflecting it's surroundings. But in your painting thusfar, those surroundings don't exist. If you have all of the tones from the still life in the painting from the beginning, you an make better judgments about the way the colors shift within those forms and also, better judgments about tones in reflections and reflected light.

Keep up the good work!

16. The Following User Says Thank You to sketcheth For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Libertadore: Thanks dude, crit appreciated .

malaise88: Wow, that was an absolutely lovely crit, thank you so much for that. I definitely have quite a few things to think about after that... I'll try using your guidelines on tonight's self portrait. Really, thank you so much.

sketcheth:Thanks sketcheth... thank you for the crit on the still life, I was looking for one and you provided a thoughtful answer . Thanks for dropping by, I always truly appreciate it.

I was in the process of moving to France for the last while, and as such had very little time to draw and stuff, as well as missing a lot of my supplies. But now I'm back in business, and plan on updating every day again... excited to pick the art back up. I got a set of oil paints and so I've been having fun with those as well. Also I started a self portrait quest, so if you want to check that out it's in the self portrait section of the forum.

Vanderpoel

Quick cast study in a museum

Plein air oils

Faces from my head... kinda crap, did it on the airplane

Doodling on the airplane

More doodling on the airplane

Some terrible figures in pencil... I put them up so I can laugh at them later

Character

Covert sketching at the cafe

Oil painting of a spoon... once again reflections gave me hell

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Heyo... sorry for the delay between updates there, I had unexpected visitors, and so I was once again unable to get down to art hardcore.

Tomorrow is my first day in self-prescribed art bootcamp. Major issues to tackle at the moment:faces, back of the torso and leg anatomy, oil painting.

Sp

Hands

Loomis... must attack and conquer heads!

Random sketchbook poop... that girl in the bikini is so bad, I really need to start checking out girls more often at the beach .

Covert sketching at the cafe

Thanks
    Thanked 1,911 Times in 832 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Good progress on the sp!

There are lots of bikini ref on google... unless you want to upset girls by ogling them I mean Else I recommend sunglasses 8)

Keep rollin

"I've got ham, but I'm not a hamster"

Sketchy Link

Portfolio

20. The Following User Says Thank You to tobbA For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Brilliant posts! Your hard work is paying off as there are some really tremendous sketches coming out of what you're doing. I loved the studies from the museum and from the great outdoors as well! Very challenging. Keep up the fantastic work, my friend. It looks like you're doing all the right things!

22. The Following User Says Thank You to sketcheth For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Eric: Thanks man, I really appreciate hearing that. Gives me an extra booster .
    tobbA:sunglasses... hmmm... hahaha yea I think google images is a better choice. Thanks for dropping by.

So today I worked with Loomis for most of the day. I didn't hit the quota of studies I was going for, as I neglected my body anatomy and oil paints, so that was kind of shit. I did spend 5 hours drawing today, and then I had to go to a dinner party until late in the evening so I didn't have time to do much after that. This just tells me I need to start drawing earlier in the day if I really want to get in the studies. Loomis studies took soooooo long, at least 3.5 hours just for around four pages. I don't understand why it took me so long, as my Bridgman studies look better and are done in less time.

Even though studying Loomis gives pretty depressing looking studies, I have to say I've already learned TONS just from today. I drew a little face from my head a while ago, and it looks loads better than the stuff I was drawing just a few days ago, so I'm definitely going to work my way though Loomis' head drawing book to the end, and then probably copy it 2 more times.

Thanks for looking.

Loomis

My hands

SP

Last edited by cdejong; August 17th, 2009 at 07:55 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    What a crappy day. My parents keep on taking me out on these day trips that take the entire day and leave almost no time to draw. This was all I could get done today. Tomorrow I should have a lot more free time, so I expect to have a much better post. Damn it though, 16 pages of studies my ass, I need to get into it for real.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Not much time again today. Tomorrow will probably be the same... The next day I should have all day though, so expect a big update then.

Really discovered Hogarth today. He's so freaking awesome, learning things quickly with him. I purposely left some of the studies with messy rendering because I wasn't really considered with nice looking rendering, more so with getting the structure right. The big one of the back was a lot of rendering though, I focused on rendering on that one.

Sp... quick one, not enough time for anything decent.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey seb ! Classe ton sketchbook ! Le dernier sp est bien mieux réussit que les autres, Sinon pour le moment tu devrais te concentrer sur le trait plutot que les valeurs, essaye d'améliorer les proportions avant de rajouter l'ombre et la lumičre ! Continu tes études d'anatomie, tes efforts ont l'air de payer ! Keep it up

27. The Following User Says Thank You to kikindaface For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Walid D: Thanks very much for the comment and crit, I will concentrate on my proportions and nailing line better from now on before jumping into value, you are definitely right. I would reply in French but I'm actually an American expat that just moved here, I only understand it really.

Quick speedpaint of an ipod touch. Trying to get used to digital from my long hiatus. It looks shit unfortunately... too tired to put much more work into it right now.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Your rendering and line have improved tons since I last checked. Badass. Those Vanderpoel studies are hot, do more? Keep it up

30. The Following User Says Thank You to SamC For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    SamC:Thanks man, I appreciate it. Yea I love Vanderpoel, sure thing I'll do some more tomorrow .

I did an oil painting plein air today, but I'm not posting it because it's a piece of shit and I'm going to try to fix it tomorrow once the paint is somewhat dry. I'm having a lot of trouble mixing the colors I want with oils... I know exactly what color I want, the problem is I can't get to that color. In digital all you have to do is grab the color out of the picker... any tutorials or ways to learn how to mix colors? Color theory references or something?

Character from the ol' noggin, got tired of it and didn't render the pants

Messing around with some figures from my head

Guess who got a haircut!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow, man, you've really been sticking to it. I admire that. Keep up the great work, my friend. You are doing tremendous things!

33. The Following User Says Thank You to sketcheth For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for the comment and encouragement Eric, it always goes appreciated. I just wanna make my momma proud (single tear). No really I'm shit, I have to step it up now. But I do sincerely mean thank you to you.

Absolute poop

Bla

From Head, beware you may have to stab your eyes out after seeing this

Quickie Hogarth's just line. Pretty shit too.

And a self portrait in the SP section. So overall, pretty crap. Oh yea and a landscape painting from my head, I should've used some sort of reference because it's also shit. What a lurvly day.

Better luck tomorrow. Also I finished my physical sketchbook today, so at least I don't have to look at the even worse stuff in the beginning anymore, haha.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Alright no art in this post, I just wanted to say that I am closing this sketchbook for my own personal reasons. I will be back in six months time with a new sketchbook, hopefully one that is much much better. Thank you everyone who has posted in here and helped me, your comments and critiques meant a lot and definitely helped me improve. You guys are the best. I'll continue to update my self portrait thread in the SP section though.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,249 Times in 905 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    see you soon.

37. The Following User Says Thank You to a la bapsi For This Useful Post:

LORD M is offline That guy from the cheer me up thread Level 13 Gladiator: Retiarius
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,790 Times in 1,165 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Nice Hogarth studies, man. One thing I can recommend when studying the muscles are that you can use different colours for different muscles, that way you rememeber them easier. Keep the updates coming!

"I wish to paint in such a manner as if I were photographing dreams" - Zdzislaw Beksinski
    My Happy Little Sketchbook, please check it out and help me get better!

My TUMBLR!

39. The Following User Says Thank You to LORD M For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thread... Resurrection. Back sooner than I expected, thanks for convincing me Dished .

First five are from life... the first one is a 2.5 hour pose, and the second one is just a quick portrait sketch I did for a friend, the next 3 are 10 minute gestures from an open life drawing session. The rest are doodles from my head. Just a smattering from the two sketchbooks I filled up since my last post.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,911 Times in 832 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Welcome back

And it looks like you've improved too!

Keep posting

"I've got ham, but I'm not a hamster"

Sketchy Link

Portfolio

42. The Following User Says Thank You to tobbA For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks! I'll surely keep on posting, at least once or twice a week... I've decided to only post up work that I feel is worth showing to get critiques and things... Here's something I've been working on for several hours... it's been quite a struggle, and it's still a big wip, but I hope to have it wrapped up by the end of the weekend to move onto the next struggle. This is my first painting from my imagination.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Some pencils out of my head... poop I've been super busy with school work, haven't worked on the paint much. Gotta finish it already!

Oh the one with the jeans and the back in it are some studies of myself in the mirror. And the body that says inspired by Wes Burt next to it was out of my head, but I stole the pose from my memory of his batman piece on his blog.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 3