Page 1 of 18 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Cdejongs Sketches and Paints - Closed

Thanks

Cdejongs Sketches and Paints - Closed

So I've decided to start a sketchbook and join a sketchgroup, so as to keep on drawing daily and receiving critiques. I just started to draw September 2008, and I've been focusing on figure drawing and drawing from life, so I'll see where I go with all of this. I'm going to be putting all of my work here, not just what I think looks good, so please critique the crap out of everything. Be blunt, be evil, if it helps me get better, I'm all for it.

Here's some stuff that I've done over these last few months. The messy figures are 90 second gesture drawings from posemaniacs... what a wonderful site.

Thanks for any and all help guys.

EDIT: New stuff at last pages, don't look here unless you want your eyes pooped on.
    Last edited by cdejong; July 2nd, 2010 at 03:24 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,136 Times in 893 Posts
    hey there sebbon; an impressive start. I think you're definitively on the right track for figure studies. only I wouldnt start on such complicated figures for muscle studies. di simple layouts, or just do small parts. I'd suggest to start on the hands and feet as you seem to be skimming over those
    I'm also a little worried over the quality of you scans. these scans are workable, but it is distracting. maybe cut off the dark parts before scanning if that's possible -that makes the auto contrast of you scanner do a lot better a job on these. and do you have photoshop or something? then you can change the lvl's a bit (control- L) to what you actual drawing looked like.
    SKETCHBOOK - my website - facebook company page
    ooh yeah; did you know I'm a certified art-teacher? that's right. everything arty I say has been endorsed by the state of the Netherlands! (they'll be sorry soon)

4. The Following User Says Thank You to ashess For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Agreeing with Ashess. You're definitely on the right track with your figure studies, especially with doing some in perspective. Try to think more about the underlying bone structure, though. It will help some of them look more solid.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Mock For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Ashess: Thanks for the info, I'm taking your advice and doing some Brigdman studies as well as adjusting the image levels in photoshop (good idea). I use a camera because I don't have a scanner, and sometimes the light is just plain bad and ruins the photo. Hope these are better, I adjusted them in PS.

Mock: I will definitely put more thought to underlying bone structure... I think I'm going to try some of Loomis's stuff with building up the figure from the inside out... hopefully my stuff will gain some solidity.

I took my first figure drawing class with a live model today. How fun! I really enjoyed it, can't wait for next week. I ended the night with some Bridgeman studies labeling the muscles and bones of the hand... tomorrow I'll focus on the hand with more artistically centered Bridgeman studies.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,136 Times in 893 Posts
    hey sebbon;
    I gotto say these do look a lot better. but ye photos is always harder. as for improving the photoquality, the light is already petty good for a photo. maybe you have a 'close' option on your camera. that can still help a little.
    as for the pictures themselves, I like where you put down some shadow; it gives the figure a lot more debth. you might want to check for consistency a bit. like the 2nd, the arm has a shadow on the belly, but not its own shadow on the arm. also, the feet are better here, and you got some good hands studies going on next to the figures. but again you skimmed over the hands a little. the shape is ok,but watch for shadows and in-figure lines. otherwise I have to say, these are some pretty nice observational studies.
    I'm not sure how long your modelclass took. but didnt you make more then 2 though? we used to start with 5 min poses then make longer ones after 3-5 of those.
    SKETCHBOOK - my website - facebook company page
    ooh yeah; did you know I'm a certified art-teacher? that's right. everything arty I say has been endorsed by the state of the Netherlands! (they'll be sorry soon)

9. The Following User Says Thank You to ashess For This Useful Post:

Jumping around houses north east in the uk.
    Thanks
    I can see you studiying Bridgeman, He's top notch.

With you posemaniacs thing. I have a problem with that longer studys.

I beleive Posemaniacs has "painted on muscle", which for me is a problem I Imagine them overlaping, I try to make the figures beleivable in my mind.
    I make the overlap clear, so somtimes i exaggerate and tone downs the muscles.

Also try to be aware of porportions, I check mine with the help of this block in method. You can also look up various cannons of porpotions, And the make your own.

I suggest lay ins are used for your quick sketches, a lay in is a start, a bad start means everything that follows will collapse. Like an mansion built on quicksand.

I do my lay ins by Frank Reilly and Other methods which are found by the profesionals on the site. Go look around, you can also try and invent your own like Mentler has done.
    Last edited by Fitzin; January 16th, 2009 at 03:29 AM.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Fitzin For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    One thing I am slowly learning with Bridgman is that its best to use his work to learn the forms, and then access a lot of photos and try to draw those in the same muscle/bone format as Bridgman does in his books. Otherwise it gets too easy just to memorize the forms as you see them, rather than as they function. That said, you're doing great. I can already see improvement on the life drawings.

Keep at it. I know it's a long, tough road, lol.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Mock For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Ashess: Thanks for the tips, I'll take them into account in the future. I only posted up two of my figure drawings because I don't want to post up all of them... it is too time consuming. If you really think I should post them all from now on, I will, but I thought it would be a waste because it's pretty much more of the same thing.

Fitzin: I agree with you on the posemaniacs anatomy model... Bridgman is much better to do studies from. Thanks a million for those links, super informative (especially the Reilly link), I'll have plenty of studying to do just from that link. Cheers.

Mock: Thanks for the info, I'll study Bridgman's stuff and then do studies of my own hands and feet tomorrow for sure. Thanks for the encouragement.

Ok, not a big update here. I gave a shot at a self portrait in the mirror, but it was really tough because I had to hold my sketchbook on the edge of the bathroom sink to use the bathroom mirror. Really awkward position for drawing, and it ended up making it a lot more difficult than I was hoping for. Still, it was a fun exercise and I think I'm going to do one every day now. This one was a 10-15 minute charcoal sketch, came out pretty shoddy due to the really sloppy shading. Tomorrow I'll make it more unified... rip it to shreds for anything you can see though, please do.

Thanks guys.

Thanks
    Double Post
    Last edited by cdejong; January 17th, 2009 at 02:42 AM.

Thanks
    Nice studies. Keep posting and working on them.
    Comment my crappy art PLEEZ ; )

Thanks
    Thanks for stopping in DaStreets, I'll happily oblige.

Another self portrait (in graphite) and some more Bridgman studies and life studies of my own hand (the page with hand studies under the dotted line). The self portrait turned out really shoddy again... I think the problem lies in that I have to stand up to do the portrait and hold my sketchbook in my arms to do the portrait, so I end up moving my head a lot more than I should. Screws up the proportions pretty bad. That's a terrible excuse though, so tomorrow I'm going to try to find another mirror somewhere in the house, and then I can't blame it on the mirror!

Also sorry for the terrible quality of the pictures, I took these late at night with dim lighting.

Thanks for stopping in.

Jumping around houses north east in the uk.
    Thanks
    I sincerly declare that some of the porportions of those bridgeman studies are a bit off. You need further memorisation of how the front profile relates to the side view.

Study all you can about it, understand the ideal figure.

With that self portrait, it suffers from draw-every-little-strand syndrome.

Try and see it as a shape of tone and design, Like Loomis does. He explains it clearly in his PDF "The eye of the painter" One page 25 and 115. Look how he simplifies the hair into masses. You can find his books at the reference section's thread "Hunderds of free artbooks"

Also study his compostion, and how you uses plans to get the porpotions right.

Gurney solves it too.

http://gurneyjourney.blogspot.com/20...tring-mop.html
    and http://gurneyjourney.blogspot.com/20...on-secret.html

That block in method I mentioned, useing that envelope method, working large to small also helps a lot. Gotta get the general/ideal/basic/principles right first before that "finish".

Edit
    I see the paintovers link is not working. Try this new link instead.

http://www.conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=76121
    Last edited by Fitzin; January 19th, 2009 at 04:14 AM.

Thanks
    Thanks a million for your great advice and links Fitzin, I really appreciate it. I checked out all of the links and info except for the paintovers, because the links didn't work. Could you give me another link or be a bit more specific so I can find his paintovers myself? Thanks again man, this is good info.

Tried another self portrait, kinda failed again. Self portraits are pretty damn hard, I'm going to keep on doing them until I get them down really well (could be a few decades ).

Thanks for stopping by.

Page 1 of 18 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast