Thanks

Thumbs up Accomplishments!!

I made this thread because I just finished building a computer (for the first time) on Saturday night, and I couldn't help but share success like this...it's very rare that I accomplish big things!!

Anyway, come in and share some great accomplishments that you thought weren't possible for you to do!! It would be nice 'n' uplifting to read!!

---

About my computer, I needed a new one cuz my 10-year-old one was dying. I sought help in the Photoshop forum MONTHS ago, and AdamR kindly helped me out ever since! I probably wouldn't have tried if not for him! I bought the parts with my work-term money, nervous all along the way.

I was worried that I'd suck at building it because of my somewhat poor eyesight and shaky hands. I put off doing the job until after my vacation, and then worked with Dad on it. He helped me screw things in and take things out, pull cables and find the always missing screw. Even bought a nice flexible light so I could see the tiny words on the motherboard. XD I'd use my magnifier and read the instructions (or go on the net when I wasn't sure), and Dad would help me attach things to the motherboard.

Besides the brick-sized heatsink, most everything else came together pretty easily! But I went through some phases of "WHY AM I DOING THIS?? I SUCK AT EVERYTHING!! " before Mom set me straight...she was right: Why would I do it if I didn't think I could? So it took about five half-days to complete the whole thing, including setting up the BIOS and the icky Windows Vista. But it WORKS!! It works and now I can keep working on my digital art, music and whatever else!! I'm happy because it was me struggling, but keeping an optimism in myself that I could do more than I think. I was especially happy with Dad: he's in pain and he helped me with the gruelling task! o_O

So yeah, that's my big accomplishment!

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
  3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jazz For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 3,346 Times in 1,120 Posts
    So basically horn-tooting time?

Uh... the day of our graphic design grad show apparently the person who was supposed to be the class speaker (she was the head of the GD student committee thing that I never got interested in) was unable to be there on time or had requested not to speak or something. My profs had approached me since apparently I was "mister speaker" of the class, able to pull out eloquent presentations out of my finely-sculpted ass. Funny I was considered that since outside of formal and informal speeches I'm not much of a talker.

So here I was not 4 hours from when I had to give my final speech as a student in front of my peers, profs, their families and GD professionals from the community and north shore. I still had to get my stuff ready to move (was moving that day also!) so I'm clearing up my room forming a speech in my mind. It was unlike class ones where I knew exactly what I was talking about and the subject was clear. I came up with a general guideline of thanks and anecdotes and practiced it for the rest of the day (I'm getting nervous right now just thinking about those few hours) Like speeches in class, I never committed to specific words or sentences, only points that I had to cover. that way if I forgot the words I had thought were ideal, I could just think about the topic I was on and make something up.

When the time came I was a little over-dressed, suit and tie where most were wearing dress shirts. It was a bit of a help to my confidence though, feeling a bit more professional than I was, as much as a boost that my coordinator gave me when he introduced me as "a fantastic illustrator" (probably hyperbole on his part, and more than a mountainous lie in my mind)

I made it through the whole thing pretty darn well. Got some clapping in the middle after I gave a shout out to our flash teacher (who really stuck with us even though we were being pissy little brats, getting frustrated when we didn't grasp a piece of actionscript). I still remember how I ended it:

"Finally, we have to thank ourselves and each other. We have to thank ourselves for working so tirelessly on our goals. Look around at what's on the walls, everyone [our work] In these images you can hear the faint echo of late night critiques and early morning four letter words. We also need to thank each other. Never have I worked with such a committed and helpful group of individuals... even before we graduated we were already each others' rivals, competing for student jobs and in competitions. But no one would ever hesitate when asked for a helping hand, and extra set of eyes or the like.

So from each of us, to all of us, thank you for being such good peers on our shared journey."
    Apparently I did quite well, getting compliments all night. Of course a crushing weight was lifted from my shoulders and for the first time in a while I felt like a socially-capable human being, chatting and mingling for the rest of the night.

So yeah, nice way to end it all.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jason Rainville For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    That's AWESOME, Jason! O_O Actually, I got butterflies from reading about the moments before you had to do the speech. They always seem to be the most unnerving minutes... Ha ha!! Oh gosh, I love: "In these images you can hear the faint echo of late night critiques and early morning four letter words." A whole bunch of people could relate to that part!

( Yeah, I think we deserve some horn-tootin' time! )

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.