Thanks

selecting brushstrokes

I remember doing this in photoshop somehow, don't know how it worked though... I know it was some shortcut, pressing a button and clicking on the layer or something...anyhow, it looked at the alpha channel and made a selection of al the brushstrokes in the layer... does anybody know how to do this, and more importantly, how I can do this in Painter X ??

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Might be this?

Photoshop - Ctrl/click a layer thumbnail selects everything on the (transparent) layer.
    Painter - Right click and choose Select Layer Transparency

Thanks
    Hi tnx for your reply!

But isn't there a shortcut? saw a vid of andrew jones, and he seems to have some shortcut for it. also he applies some kind of adjustment layer on it to add some gradient to the selection, or add some glow, i don't know exactly what he does

The thing is that I'd like to get into Painter, but I have no clue on how these kind of things are done, and it is so difficult to google these things when you have no clue what to search for exactly!

are there any books that explain those things? Cause I really need an answer to those problems and I know that i'll stumble upon more questions later on! (I'm kind of obsessed by understanding things, can't rest before I know how to solve my problems )

Thanks
    could it be the magic wand tool? casted with W

rattsang is offline i am destructor bahhhhhhwwwaaaaaaaa!!!!!!
    Thanks
    just curious' why do you need a shortcut? are you going to use it that often? if you really need to know the answer is probably in the manual.
    there are no adjustment layers for glow or gradients in painter, he probably just does these things using the regular tools. if you go to select and auto select there are various options that under the right circumstances will select all the pixels on a layer. also you could try color select this allows tweaking.

the only way to know the program well is the same way we all did' read the manual then experiment with the program for a few days' no book will cover your specific questions or problems not that there are that many books on painter.
    its time to knuckle down and really lick boot!
    LOOK MOMMY! I laid a sketchbook!
    My Blog

Thanks
    I'd like to know the shortcut just because shortcuts make things easier, dunno, maybe it's because of my education as programmer that I just like to find the fastest way to work or something

anyhow, I've been reading some parts of the manual yesterday, found some useful things...not exactly what I needed, but still could come in usefull!
    Tnx for the input all!

Thanks
    Andrew jones uses lasso tool and does the gradient effect using airbrush or glow tool within the lasso'd area

Thanks
    Thanked 4,262 Times in 2,074 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by notti View Post
    Andrew jones uses lasso tool and does the gradient effect using airbrush or glow tool within the lasso'd area
    He also selects the layer's transparency. I also remember he didn't have the context menus up (in regards to video Fine Arts Vol 1.) because it would interrupt his live painting demos.

So it's a number of different methods, not just one or the other.

Thanks
    Yeah, I noticed he uses Auto Selection... that option doesnt have a hotkey assigned to it, but unlike "select layer transparency", i could link a hotkey to it myself via the configurations menu