Wacom 6x8/6x11 or 9x12 for Architecture Student??
Join Free Art WorkShopJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Wacom 6x8/6x11 or 9x12 for Architecture Student??

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Wacom 6x8/6x11 or 9x12 for Architecture Student??

Hey all... I spent the last hour researching this topic and didn't feel satisfied with the threads I could dig up...

Basic info: I'm an architecture major, but I'm also taking some fine art courses and love traditional art in the spare time (the sparce, spare time in my case) and I'm looking into a Wacom tablet to bring a more sketchy feel into the overly technical world of architecture. SketchUp, AutoCAD, Cinema4D and the such are all wonderful for presentations and designing, but all very rigid at the same time. So I want to learn something new.

My main focus is architecture, with traditional art behind it. I don't really make huge sweeping strokes ever, and my sketch stuff falls between 4x5 and 9x12.

I'd like something that I can travel with daily to class, and I have a 15" macbookpro so I'm leaning towards the 6x8/6x11 over the 9x12 simply because it's quite large, but would it be worth it?

I'm on no budget, and I plan on seeing if I can find a tablet to test out tomorrow somewhere as NOBODY in this city seems to own one somehow.

What do you think?

Thanks in advance and good luck to everyone going back to class in a few hours!

Only the heart intrinsically noble can succeed...
    Check out My Sketchbook: Leave critiques, encouragement, and good jokes within.

www.enmls.com
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    They'll all be fine and since it's largely up to personal preference I would definitely test it out for yourself like you're saying..

On my Macpro I work with dual monitors and have a 6x11 for that cause the wider aspect ratio comes closer to my screen realestate. It works perfectly fine but when I'm on the road and hook the 6x11 up to the Macbook, I'm always surprised how nice it is to have the tablet match at least the aspect ratio perfectly 1:1 to my screen (size also feels really close, even if it isn't an exact match).

If you got a widescreen screen I feel the 6x11 is a very nice mix between the 6x8 and the 9x12..
    I would definitely check the tablets out hooked up to your macbookpro or macbook so that you don't only test the size of the tablet but also the relation of the tablet to your laptop.

Have fun with the architorture..

Last edited by tensai; January 12th, 2009 at 07:18 AM.
    tensai

check the Tensai Tokyo Sketch Thread (Sketchbook)

check the Tensai Cityscapes Thread (Finally Finished)

bLok

Quote Originally Posted by strych9ine
    Fuck backgrounds, who needs em.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to tensai For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Tensai, you are amazing. 6x11 seems to be the way to go... I wonder if the Apple store has some I could tinker with.

Your work is awesome, so I really appreciate your opinion. Thanks :]

Only the heart intrinsically noble can succeed...
    Check out My Sketchbook: Leave critiques, encouragement, and good jokes within.

www.enmls.com

Brashen is offline Ralph Abou Raad - Professional Level 9 Gladiator: Hoplomachi
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The normal tablets work with widescreen monitors.

But if your going for mobility than the 6x11 seems to be the perfect choice.

Try it first before buying.

Good luck!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    just recently got the 6x11 intuos 3 myself and definitely recommend it. They even sell mice for the wacom series that work with CAD and other architecture programs btw, from what I saw in the manual. (only for the 12x12 and 12x19 models though....). http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000E6EIL2?...0&linkCode=asn
    So if that's something you think you would have to have, you will need to take that into consideration as well. (though that would be something more for the 'professional' end, rather than student level i suppose).

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    For those who are looking, this month (Feb 2009) Amazon.com is offering a $30 rebate for Intuos3 6x8 purchases, bringing the price to USD 226.13 http://www.amazon.com/Wacom-Intuos3-...4241959&sr=8-1 There is also an Academic version of the 6x11 size which Amazon is selling to the general public, and reviewers seem to think the only difference is the lower price tag: http://www.amazon.com/Acad-INTUOS3-6...4241661&sr=8-2 . Sorry if any of this has already been posted elsewhere!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Having an intuos2 and large one at(the 12x18) that i8 would get the 9X12 as if you are going to be drafting you want something that has a better feel to it.

I did some drafting for a bit and you want the room to move your self ..it matter not that the tablet is bigger than the screen as it maps to it.
    I find it easy to draw faster on large tablet than a small one(yes some of you said I have something big as a table but it works for me) but I have worked with small tablet and my hands hurt after a wile. If you can find or know people with tablet go try them out. I think size matter on the tablet and not as much on the screen size of your computer be it desk top or laptop it will work out in the software maps that's how it works and most of the drafting software had Wacon interface drivers as well(and as far as I know) In the end it will be up to you as I know price wise the larger the tablet larger the price as well.

My main reason for a large tablet was in how i like to draw. In all my draping classis I didn't draw on 8x11 paper i drew on big paper tablets I was ask to use more than just my hand to move what ever i was using to draw or paint

so the done make an 18x24 tablet(dam) but the 18x12 was just right for me and i love it It make me draw big now.. i found all my art with a small tablet was just that small I didn't note it till some said why is all you work so small? i didn't understand people asking to get bigger

I got my 12x18 and everything is big now. I did a Dragon skull and after i look at the size when i was near done it was like 65 " X 55 i" so it is big like life size . you want to draw buildings and place people will live and work.. you need to unleash your work the best way you can.

That's my 2 cent worth on it

CC

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.