Art: Promo art for a band.. ...new territory for me.
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Promo art for a band.. ...new territory for me.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Promo art for a band.. ...new territory for me.

So the university campus newspaper has an editor who knows the band's lead singer and since they're friends, the band (whom I've heard is a good band anyway) wants some promotion in the form of a cd review published in the paper on a page with some promotional art provided by the school newspaper illustrator. Since I applied for the job by going to the newsroom and saying "can I draw for you guys", I'm not exactly a pro at this. I'm learning as I go.

So what do you think of this as promotional art for a band. They're kind of a funk band with hip-hop and jazz and rock ("fusion"?). They list Jimmy Hendrix (*bows*) as one of their influences (according to my editor) so that's the reason for the burning guitar. One of the members plays sax and sports a 'fro, hence the profile on the left. What do you think?

"The most important things to say are those which often I did not think necessary for me to say -- because they were too obvious."
    - André Gide
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I have just been lurking here since I joined but I've gotta make a few comments on this one.

First of all, the guitar looks smashing! (A little rock joke there for ya... funny? No? Ok)
    I also really love the look of the tips of the flames.
    The only suggestions I would have are in regards to the band members. Were you going for a smoke/ghost like effect?
    At me moment they look a little too chalky/flat.
    Some more flowing lines, and less opaque white near the edges would improve this a bit IMO. The use of grays for a bit of detail.shading may also work.
    The composition, I think is strong and the cropping on the guitar neck looks appropriate.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.