Project Lenneth (ongoing development thread)

View testimonialsView Artwork
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Project Lenneth (ongoing development thread)

Hey everyone, My name is Joshua Kratochvil, I'm a self taught artist who hasn't had much experience professionally (hopefully soon I can break into some more work) and these are my contributions so far to a project.

Thought I would start a thread for a project that is going on and will be continuing to be developed by me and a few others ( gotta convince them to post here too).

Right now I cant give much detail, but this is for a personal game project mmorpg code named Lenneth. Hopefully soon we will have a website with more info up!

The enviros were done in artrage+ photoshop (40% AR/ 60% PS) and the others by hand. They are pretty much just studies and ideations to get the creative juices flowing.

Anyway this tread will be updated fairly regularly with a portion of the work going into this project, hope you enjoy.

Attached Images Attached Images          
    Freelance/general inquiries @: Natzuur@gmail.com
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Not sure why this was moved here, I thought the quality of work was good enough for the finished section... guess not, oh well people don't like it I guess, doubt i'll update now.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,221 Times in 625 Posts
    Follows
    Following
Hey man.. Nice work !

I think you need to work on your linework.. it feels very digital and quite boring to look at .. it might become impressive if you made more of those.. but they all feel overworked and.. 'digital' hehe. For the linework.. if you want those precise lines, adjust the size of your brush to start with.. when its starting to look dynamic, add more lineweight to whats in shadow, to the lines that meet up with other lines etc.. Search Conceptart.org for lineweight and you'll find a lot!

For the first two paintings... the biggest issue is the composition.. you should really divide your paintings into elements before you start out.. Make small thumbnails if you're not confident in composition and see what looks most natural and balanced.

In the first one, you have this unnecessary mountain/hill on the left that doesn't add anything but gives the painting an awkward twist for the perspective. And in the second one the perspective feels very eyeballed too.. and you don't add much to it with just a simple gradation and some highlights for the path that leads up to that sun....... also.. when the sun is that large.. you get a penumbra and some really soft shadows..

I'd say that a more "organized" approach would make your art present a lot better Start with thumbnails as i said.. work out composition.. Move onto forms, depth, color & mood.. establish that.. and after that you can just render and render til' your done.

I hope you post more!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Dile_ View Post
    Hey man.. Nice work !

I think you need to work on your linework.. it feels very digital and quite boring to look at .. it might become impressive if you made more of those.. but they all feel overworked and.. 'digital' hehe. For the linework.. if you want those precise lines, adjust the size of your brush to start with.. when its starting to look dynamic, add more lineweight to whats in shadow, to the lines that meet up with other lines etc.. Search Conceptart.org for lineweight and you'll find a lot!

For the first two paintings... the biggest issue is the composition.. you should really divide your paintings into elements before you start out.. Make small thumbnails if you're not confident in composition and see what looks most natural and balanced.

In the first one, you have this unnecessary mountain/hill on the left that doesn't add anything but gives the painting an awkward twist for the perspective. And in the second one the perspective feels very eyeballed too.. and you don't add much to it with just a simple gradation and some highlights for the path that leads up to that sun....... also.. when the sun is that large.. you get a penumbra and some really soft shadows..

I'd say that a more "organized" approach would make your art present a lot better Start with thumbnails as i said.. work out composition.. Move onto forms, depth, color & mood.. establish that.. and after that you can just render and render til' your done.

I hope you post more!
    I can see what you are saying about composition, especially on the first, going by the rule of thirds the mountain on the left is on a focal point, i can see that being distracting from the main focal point (or so what i wanted) the building.

The color ones are actually fairly quickly done concepts to get a feel for the environmental areas, and never were meant to be stand alone illustrations. needless to say i feel environments are my weakest point.

I often do thumbnails for everything but environments, i find it difficult to put a environment into such a small picture for some reason. But that shouldn't be an excuse I suppose.

Thanks for the critques, i'm glad someone was able to give some useful input.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    There's a lot of good stuff going on here. You have a pretty good handle on color and mood, and the linework and detail in building design.jpg is a pleasure to look at. There are some things bringing your work down from a professional standard, though, which is the reason they were moved from FF. (It has nothing to do with whether people like your work.)

The figure in the desert image is the weakest part of the image. Also, look at some reference of sunsets -- I feel like there should be more vibrant colors here. The green-brown shadows you currently have are pretty muddy.

Based on the rock house, it seems like you aren't familiar enough with rocky structures to draw them from your imagination. Again, reference will help this to feel more solid.

On the building with the sunroof, something about the perspective is bothering me. The far circular room doesn't feel right, but I think it's mostly the slanted wall that's throwing it off. If you have a slanted wall, you should reconsider the placement of the interior door -- the slanted wall is currently jutting into it.

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it" -- Confucius

"Imagination is more important than knowledge" -- Albert Einstein

Pixelestial's Gallery

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Soulweaver: Hey thanks for the input, I think its harder for me to make things digitally then by hand right now, just because the sheer amount of traditional work. That's why my line work well.. works traditionally more then digitally. I totally agree with you about the digital building too, the back end throws it off, originally i wasn't going to add it, prob should have stayed that way.

I tried to make this a little more coherent, i think its starting to get muddied so I wanna post it here and see what you all think.

Attached Images Attached Images  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I really like your use of color in that piece, but feel like my eye is going everywhere except where you want it to. The rock on the left is pointing directly towards the brilliant sun, which draws my eye away from the building, and really has nothing to lead back out again.

• Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.